Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IPad and keyboards

Six-string-man

I keep reading posts that refer to using an iPad along with a keyboard. This sounds like science fiction to me! Could anyone point me in the direction of a book or article on just how to achieve this?

Something that starts with extreme basics, with single syllable words would be nice!

Thanks in advance.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the keyboard you want to use send/receive MIDI over standard 5-pin MIDI jacks or over USB? (Some boards can do both.) That will determine what hardware you will need. Also, does your iPad use the older 30-pin connector or the newer "lightning" connector?

Other than that, the answer to "how do I do this" depends on what you want to do. There are a ton of apps you can get. Just like a computer, you choose the software based on what you'd like it to do.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1.get an ipad

2.get a MIDI interface with an Apple Connector (Griffin - IK iRIg - iConnect MIDI etc) OR use the Apple camera connection kit for a USB midi i/f

3.Get some iOS software synth apps and/or sequencer apps - Garage Band et al

4.Connect keyboard (via MIDI) to ipad

5.Open App

6.Play :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

If you have an iPad 3 and a keyboard that sends midi via usb, you can get the iPad Camera Connection Kit ($40), plug your usb cable into it, and your keyboard plays whatever app you want it to (more or less) with the sound coming out of the headphone jack.

A step up from that would be an interface made specifically for iPad, with audio and midi outputs or a USB interface that says it will work with the iPad. (Some do, some don't.) iPad 3 and older models use the 30-pin connector, iPad 4 uses the new Lightning connector. Make sure to get an interface with the right connector for your iPad model. They're not interchangeable.

The Gallileo B3 organ app costs $5. It won't replace a good B3 organ sim like B4 or Vb3, but it will do some really cool B3-based sounds. I just used it in a recording project, adding some spooky licks to a track that's already using the B4 Whiter Shade of Pale organ. (I use the Griffin interface for iPad 3. It works great, and it charges the iPad while it's plugged in. Most interfaces won't do that.)

40$ for a simple "ipad to usb" cable is a bit steep, is it not? I just ordered a generic lightning to usb cable, for 5$, I am waiting for it to arrive. I see no reason why it should't work.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

40$ for a simple "ipad to usb" cable is a bit steep, is it not? I just ordered a generic lightning to usb cable, for 5$, I am waiting for it to arrive. I see no reason why it should't work.

You will.

It serves a different purpose. It is for docking/charging, not for attaching devices.

It also has a different end.

BTW, your i-device already comes with one of these, so you already have it.

But if you need a spare, $5 is a good price for it, Apple charges $19.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Does the keyboard you want to use send/receive MIDI over standard 5-pin MIDI jacks or over USB? (Some boards can do both.) That will determine what hardware you will need. Also, does your iPad use the older 30-pin connector or the newer "lightning" connector?

Other than that, the answer to "how do I do this" depends on what you want to do. There are a ton of apps you can get. Just like a computer, you choose the software based on what you'd like it to do.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am holiday at the moment, so can't tell you the midi system, but it is a Nord Electro 4 if that helps. The iPad has the new lightning connector.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

1.get an ipad

2.get a MIDI interface with an Apple Connector (Griffin - IK iRIg - iConnect MIDI etc)

Any recommendations as to which interface is best? Or are there any that should be avoided? Also, I'm seeing a lot of love for Scarbee, Komplete, etc. As these are not coming up on my App store, I assume that they are for iMac or PC?

Thanks for answering what must seem like stupid questions, but I'm completely new to this.

You will.

It serves a different purpose. It is for docking/charging, not for attaching devices.

It also has a different end.

BTW, your i-device already comes with one of these, so you already have it.

But if you need a spare, $5 is a good price for it, Apple charges $19.

No, it does not have a different end. It has usb female, and some card inputs on one end and lightning on other. What it does not have is an apple logo on the box.

it is a Nord Electro 4 if that helps. The iPad has the new lightning connector.

That Nord can send MIDI over USB, so the simplest and least expensive things to do is probably get Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter which you can then connect to your Nord with a standard (printer style) USB cable.

The only real limitation to be aware of there is that the iPad cannot charge (i.e. be plugged into AC) while you have the adapter attached. If that concerns you, you'll need something else.

I'm seeing a lot of love for Scarbee, Komplete, etc. As these are not coming up on my App store, I assume that they are for iMac or PC?

Yes, those are for Mac/PC. There are tons of MIDI apps for iPad, though. Based on your mentioning Scarbee and Komplete, it sounds like you are interested in using the iPad essentially as a "rompler" - i.e. to play back a wider variety of instrument sounds. For this, you could look at something like SampleTank. There are also apps that specialize in just a particular type of sound... piano (CMP, iGrand), EP (Neo Soul Keys, iLectric), organ (Galileo), mellotron (Manetron).... Although you have those nicely covered in your Nord, adding them via the iPad would give you the ability to layer them, for example. Or just give you a wider variety to choose from. (You can also find ways to split sounds across the keyboard, though that can be a little more complicated.) You can also use apps to play custom samples (BS-16i), or to provide a tweakable virtual knobby synth (Magellan, Animoog, Sunrizer, iPolySix, SAS-2A/5A, Thor). Lots of others. There are other ways to use the iPad as well, to do things like manage set lists, record MIDI sequences, play backing tracks, send MIDI program changes to your hardware, all kinds of things. There are even apps that control other apps.

It does get a bit tricker if you want to run more than one of these apps at the same time. In some cases, multiple applications can run at the same time with no problem at all. In other cases, you need another app to manage multiple music apps (look at MIDIBridge, Jack, Audiobus). In other cases, certain combinations won't work at all. You'll also be restricted in what you can do by how much memory is in your iPad. If it's a Mini, you have 512 mb. If it's a full-size retina model, you have a gigabyte. But at the beginning, just start with one app at a time and have fun!

No, it does not have a different end. It has usb female, and some card inputs on one end and lightning on other.

Ah, then it is more than just a "generic lightning to usb cable." Based on Apple's terminology, anyway, this is a lightning to usb cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable?fnode=3a

so I thought you'd gotten a generic one of those!

Yeah, semantics. :) It is still lightning to usb, it's just different gender of the usb side.

Apple really sells those like they are made of gold. I ordered it from China, and it totalled 5$, with free shipping! I also ordered iRig for 6-7$, I think it is around 30$ if you go to regular store. I am having fun with it, using Loopy to lay down some loops then I solo over them ad nauseum :)

1.get an ipad

2.get a MIDI interface with an Apple Connector (Griffin - IK iRIg - iConnect MIDI etc)

Any recommendations as to which interface is best? Or are there any that should be avoided? Also, I'm seeing a lot of love for Scarbee, Komplete, etc. As these are not coming up on my App store, I assume that they are for iMac or PC?

Thanks for answering what must seem like stupid questions, but I'm completely new to this.

They are mostly all as good as each other, although the only one I would recommend against (if I HAD to go against one) is the iRig Midi. The way it attaches to the iPad is quite unstable and I have actually had it come loose during a gig!

I use the compact Griffen MIDI Connect, although I have also had an iConnect (very good unit - it just needs an external power source)

As for the apps themselves just search through the music apps, although one I WILL recommend is Discovr (that is the spelling - make sure you get the one for apps and not recorded music).

Just enter the name of a synth/sequencer/instrument etc and it will then auto search and display all similar apps and then on those that come up you can repeat the process - really cool :) and a SUPER efficient way of finding comparable apps.

I am using Sampletank full version, iGrandpiano and iLectric as my "go to apps".

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I use Fourscore on my iPad all the time now - it is a pdf sheet music display app - and how cool is this - you can share sheet music from other iPads with Fourscore on them very quickly - Friday night I turned the find other iPads on - connected to the bass players iPad and he sent me a chart for the next tune - took 20 seconds. much easier than going through the hassel of memorizing tunes.

it is a Nord Electro 4 if that helps. The iPad has the new lightning connector.

That Nord can send MIDI over USB, so the simplest and least expensive things to do is probably get Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter which you can then connect to your Nord with a standard (printer style) USB cable.

The only real limitation to be aware of there is that the iPad cannot charge (i.e. be plugged into AC) while you have the adapter attached. If that concerns you, you'll need something else.

I'm seeing a lot of love for Scarbee, Komplete, etc. As these are not coming up on my App store, I assume that they are for iMac or PC?

Yes, those are for Mac/PC. There are tons of MIDI apps for iPad, though. Based on your mentioning Scarbee and Komplete, it sounds like you are interested in using the iPad essentially as a "rompler" - i.e. to play back a wider variety of instrument sounds. For this, you could look at something like SampleTank. There are also apps that specialize in just a particular type of sound... piano (CMP, iGrand), EP (Neo Soul Keys, iLectric), organ (Galileo), mellotron (Manetron).... Although you have those nicely covered in your Nord, adding them via the iPad would give you the ability to layer them, for example. Or just give you a wider variety to choose from. (You can also find ways to split sounds across the keyboard, though that can be a little more complicated.) You can also use apps to play custom samples (BS-16i), or to provide a tweakable virtual knobby synth (Magellan, Animoog, Sunrizer, iPolySix, SAS-2A/5A, Thor). Lots of others. There are other ways to use the iPad as well, to do things like manage set lists, record MIDI sequences, play backing tracks, send MIDI program changes to your hardware, all kinds of things. There are even apps that control other apps.

It does get a bit tricker if you want to run more than one of these apps at the same time. In some cases, multiple applications can run at the same time with no problem at all. In other cases, you need another app to manage multiple music apps (look at MIDIBridge, Jack, Audiobus). In other cases, certain combinations won't work at all. You'll also be restricted in what you can do by how much memory is in your iPad. If it's a Mini, you have 512 mb. If it's a full-size retina model, you have a gigabyte. But at the beginning, just start with one app at a time and have fun!

Wow! I'm blown away by your comprehensive reply, thank you SO much! Not sure I understand much of the penultimate paragraph, (splits and layers) but will take it slowly. I was looking at the new CP4, noticed it had split and layer buttons/lights on it, not sure if they are just tell-tale lights, or if you can actually press the buttons to split and layer stuff semi automatically, if that makes sense.

I have the 64 gig retina iPad, wanted as much space as possible!

Another stupid? Question if I may? I assume controllers can either be a device with just keys or buttons (no sound of their own) or proper keyboards used to control other apps or programs? Just trying to get the terminology sorted in my head.

THanks again for taking the time to help a newbie.

1.get an ipad

They are mostly all as good as each other, although the only one I would recommend against (if I HAD to go against one) is the iRig Midi. The way it attaches to the iPad is quite unstable and I have actually had it come loose during a gig!

I use the compact Griffen MIDI Connect, although I have also had an iConnect (very good unit - it just needs an external power source)

As for the apps themselves just search through the music apps, although one I WILL recommend is Discovr (that is the spelling - make sure you get the one for apps and not recorded music).

Just enter the name of a synth/sequencer/instrument etc and it will then auto search and display all similar apps and then on those that come up you can repeat the process - really cool :) and a SUPER efficient way of finding comparable apps.

I am using Sampletank full version, iGrandpiano and iLectric as my "go to apps".

Thanks for the reply, I will check out everything you mention. Can't' get over the amount of help there is on this board.

I have been using my iPad 2 with great success.

I use the Alesis iODock as the interface, and take the 1/4" outs to my rack mixer.

Currently I use Korg's iPolySix and the Galileo organ apps.

I normally use it with my keytar, but will now and then control it from my Korg M50-61.

The cool thing about the two apps is they can stay on in the background. I use that feature so that on stage, I have each set to a different MIDI channel. I simply program a couple combi's on the M50 and simply selecting that combi gets me the different sound on the iPad.

I have had no latency issues.

What's really cool is when I can layer in a sound from the iPad's iPolySix app with an on board M50 sound and really "fatten" things up.

I had already owned the iPad when I got into this so my only expense was buying the iODock. and the apps. I got them while they were "on sale"

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Does anyone have any suggestions workarounds to make this connection more solid? I've just started using my iPad to run Galileo via the iRig MIDI, but it does seem to keep falling out - first gig with this setup is next Saturday and I'd quite like it to not cut out mid-set. Should I give it up and buy the camera kit instead?

This is handy:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/11/26/ipad-compatible-midi-devices/

Also, I attempted to use the USB to lightning camera adaptor for my Yamaha MX61, and it didn't work. Pretty sure I'm going to have to score one of these bad boys.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/usb-midi/i-ux1/

Anyone have any experiences with this interface?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I attempted to use the USB to lightning camera adaptor for my Yamaha MX61, and it didn't work.

Did you make sure that your MX61 was set to send MIDI over USB?

Not sure I understand much of the penultimate paragraph, (splits and layers) but will take it slowly.

The Nord Electro can only play one sound at a time... i.e. you can't layer sounds (play a chord with piano and strings), nor can you split the keyboard (play a strong chord on the left side of the keyboard while playing a piano sound on the right). By adding an iPad, you can easily layer a new sound (from the iPad) on top of the Nord sound. You can also add split keyboard functionality to some extent, but that's trickier, due to limitations in the Nord itself.

Another stupid? Question if I may? I assume controllers can either be a device with just keys or buttons (no sound of their own) or proper keyboards used to control other apps or programs? Just trying to get the terminology sorted in my head.

That's pretty much correct. If you look up "MIDI Controller" on a site like sweetwater, they will all be keyboards that make no sounds. However, many keyboards that make sounds are also very functional as controllers, and so many people use such keyboards as "controllers" instead of (or more often, in addition to) using them for their own sounds.

THanks again for taking the time to help a newbie.

No problem. Just following the instructions in your sig. ;-)

I attempted to use the USB to lightning camera adaptor for my Yamaha MX61, and it didn't work.

Yes. I get a "this device is not supported" prompt (paraphrasing).

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Getting that message on your iPad does NOT mean that you have necessarily set the MX61 correctly. You have to check the MX's menus and make sure you have it set to send MIDI over USB and not it's MIDI jacks.

Also, if you see the "device not supported" message, don't assume it won't work. Try actually playing something. (Again, making sure your MX is set properly, first.)

Also, it's always a good idea to make sure your iPad is fully charged (or close to it) before doing anything with MIDI. I don't think it should make a difference when using a self-powered keyboard like the MX, but at least when using bus-powered keyboards that draw their power from the iPad, they sometimes work on fully charged devices, but get flakey when the charge is low. Regardless, working from a well charged unit eliminates one more variable.

Yes, this isn't my first synthesizer. The thing is set to run MIDI out of the USB port.

Getting that message on your iPad does NOT mean that you have necessarily set the MX61 correctly. You have to check the MX's menus and make sure you have it set to send MIDI over USB and not it's MIDI jacks.

Also, if you see the "device not supported" message, don't assume it won't work. Try actually playing something. (Again, making sure your MX is set properly, first.)

Also, it's always a good idea to make sure your iPad is fully charged (or close to it) before doing anything with MIDI. I don't think it should make a difference when using a self-powered keyboard like the MX, but at least when using bus-powered keyboards that draw their power from the iPad, they sometimes work on fully charged devices, but get flakey when the charge is low. Regardless, working from a well charged unit eliminates one more variable.

I downloaded a MIDI test application, ran it, and it's showing no activity from the MX61.

Yeah, if you know the Yamaha is set right, and you're using this adapter and a USB cable that you know is good, and an app like MIDI Monitor shows no activity, then I'd say most likely you need to go to the MX's MIDI connectors instead, barring something like a hardware defect. I'm surprised, but no one else has chimed in saying they have gotten it to work either. And I'm only surprised because other Yamahas have worked, even when it might have been unexpected, as described in this video, at around 2 to 3 minutes...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICtztPXqZA

It's good thing an Ipad doesn't make anyone a better player.

I use it for practicing over loops, slowing down of tricky parts and for listening and practicing my future repertoire via youtube clips.

So, in a way, it actually does make me a better player.

Archived