Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Controller Rig advice for Jams

Jamkeys2000

I've been playing keyboard at the local hot blues jam-I am basically the only keyboard player who shows up. Had some great rig advice from this board, and I now have several different rigs I rotate bringing to this jam, including my "organ" set up, which is:

- a 49 key midi controller running into my laptop

-which then runs into a small mixer, and then

a) out into a small set of speakers I have mounted on my controller as my moniter, and

b) out into the jam PA.

(see my equipment list)

I have to rush to set the organ set up in time, and the other day it didn't work and I had to sit in front of a crowded bar playing nothing while the other jammers played on-pretty embarrassing, and I also had to spend time giving a detailed explanation to some guys who misinterpreted what happened.

I want to continue using the midi controller as I am enjoying having the flexibility of that. I want to have the speakers mounted on my keyboard as I can't hear myself otherwise.

Could I get some advice as to:

1) is there a simple two prong output device I could replace my mixer with, perhaps with volume for each output?

2) how does one set-up efficiently in a jam setting with a laptop/midi?

Thanks for any advice.

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is there a simple two prong output device I could replace my mixer with, perhaps with volume for each output?

If I understand what you want, this might do the trick:

http://www.dsan.com/sc/shop/item.asp?itemid=76

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2) how does one set-up efficiently in a jam setting with a laptop/midi?

I don't know that it's really possible - that's where hardware keyboards shine.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Stop using software. Seriously, this is the worst scenario to use software in. Software's good for big stages with clear sound and plenty of set-up time.

Save yourself another embarrassment and get this:

[video:youtube]L4mHBzf6cps

or this:

(even battery powered!)

[video:youtube]XEJq7FeLV08

These are designed to do what you want to do, reliably and with zero setup time

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I'm sorry to not answer your question, but I've been down that road and it's never as good as good old hardware keyboard. Just plug it in, turn it on, dial a sound. Not having to worry about latency, USB cable coming out, someone tripping over one of your cables, etc.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived