Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3 Users - What's Your Favorite Organ Settings?

HammondDave

I use "Jimmy's B" with click set at 9:00 and drive set at 11:00... For some reason the Leslie sim sounds better on this organ than the others...

What do you use?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use any of the presets. The organ is the C model, which has the most pleasing 888000000 character to me.

I don't remember which taper I am using - either flat or mid boost. The click is pretty spread out in the 25-30ms range, and I use the rock 147 sim exclusively.

Moe

---

How do you get to the C Model organ?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

How do you get to the C Model organ?

Scroll down from "Global Options" at the top right of the VB3 interface, hit "organ type" to pick from Model A,B and C organs.

I'm actually considering not gigging with the Vent anymore (one less piece of equipment to deal with) and just using the footpedal for the VB3 Leslie sim. Any suggested settings on the sim for a Classic Rock context (Tom Petty cover band) to get it to sound close to the Vent/122?

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I don't use presets either.I just save my own. I think I will try the C/147 combo that Moe mentioned. My initial impression was that the A and B organs sounded slightly fuller than the C but never tried either with the 147. I do need to experiment more with the VB3 sim and rotor controls and A/B it to the Vent.

I use model C as well, but I use the "Jazz 122" Leslie sim. The rock 147 sim is just too choppy and "phasey" for me, no matter what mic settings I try. The Jazz 122 sim is the only one that I'm happy with. (It should be mentioned that I run mono)
Stuff and things.

Working in Mainstage... how do I set my VB3 to output in mono?

Is there sound wise any difference between the Mojo and the VB3? I have the Mojo: there are 20 tonewheel models.. can I save one drawbar setting from one tonewheel set, and from another tonewheel set, save a different Preset, etc?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Im trying to figure that out too Dave. The only output option on VB3 that I can see is "1 stereo out: Rotary Output" at the bottom of the Global options menu. MainStage, as well as the mac....Im still looking.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Im trying to figure that out too Dave. The only output option on VB3 that I can see is "1 stereo out: Rotary Output" at the bottom of the Global options menu. MainStage, as well as the mac....Im still looking.

On the PC there are 3 out put options 1. stereo. 2.dry organ + rotary 3. Dry organ + rotary+ reverb. I'm guessing dry organ means mono.

I couldn't tell a difference between A, B, and C, so I left it on A.

I use the "rock 147" on clean. Played with the ambience knob and wound up with an extreme "direct sound" setting. All the way left if I remember, but I never mess with it now. I played with the distance knob until I thought it was just right, and that too is fairly close to an extreme setting. Spread to 0, so I get mono. (I have a mono summing box anyway.)

I do use the mid boost tonewheel scaling.

I keep my drive a little higher than the stock setting, and my edge knob about 11 oclock. Sounds aggressive, but not Jon Lord. Keep in my that Keith Emerson is my mental image of what a Hammond should sound like.

I often play 88 880 0000 C2 no perc, chorale. Both on VB3 and on my A-100 I dislike C3 for most rock applications, but not all. Too much loss of tone center for my tastes. Some tunes I even go with C1, especially if upper drawbars are used. I haven't found a good excuse to use any V setting in my band, though I do like their character.

www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils Rock and Roll from Central California. Second album underway.

Hammond organs are my drug. Until I beg borrow or steal a Mellotron that is.

I haven't found a good excuse to use any V setting in my band, though I do like their character.

What? You guys don't cover this song? You don't know what you're missing....

[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ED87HYX9gXc

I tried that mid boost tonewheel scaling. I like it. The C organ certainly does have a brighter cleaner quality to it to my ears but still lacks the fullness of my real Hammond A101 which I have set up right next to it. The A and B sound closer to it probably since my A101 has never been re-capped. I can't hear any difference between Vb3's A and B organs.

I haven't found a good excuse to use any V setting in my band, though I do like their character.

What? You guys don't cover this song? You don't know what you're missing....

[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ED87HYX9gXc

Tres bon use of V...

Haven't heard that song for ages!

I found when I used VB3 for the first time last night in band practice, that the C organ cut through way better than the B and that the mid boost was a too much over the top.

Well tried again. This time I am hearing a different with C at least. I'd actually describe it as anemic. It won't growl enough for our sound.

There may be a difference between A and B. I'm trying B out for a while. I may though, be imagining the difference. Perhaps B is full (and with drive, aggressive) like A but with a little less flab? Perhaps I'm wrong.

www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils Rock and Roll from Central California. Second album underway.

Hammond organs are my drug. Until I beg borrow or steal a Mellotron that is.

• 4 months later...

Well there are VB3 organ presets and then again there's the VB3 drawbar presets. My understanding is that VB3's standard drawbar presets are the same ones that were hard wired into the original Hammonds (although I believe it was possible to mess with these). Anyway, it's fairly easy to change the drawbar presets in VB3 (consult the manual) and even easier if you use the VB3 1.4 Preset Editor which you can download from

http://vb3editor.cleverpages.co.uk/VB3_1.4_Preset_Editor.zip It's freeware and no warranty is given and should be used entirely at the user's risk. Comes with a library of drawbar settings used by various exponents of the craft, plus you can easily define and save your own settings.

Archived