Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Non-music story - asthma gone in unbelievable way

stepay

Some of you know that I'm a runner. Both of my kids are also runners who have had some decent success. Daughter is in high school and my son is in the 8th grade. Here's his story...

My son is 13 and runs cross country for his middle school. Prior to June 2012 (that's a year ago June just so we don't have any confusion), he would enter little races here and there on basically next to no training and he would destroy all in his age group, and often other age groups; he once finished 2nd in an all comers road race 5k. He then ran in the summer track program I direct before his 7th grade year. He was still better than the others, but he started having breathing problems where he couldn't "breathe in all the way". This was with every breath and it didn't matter if he were exercising or not.

So, we see several doctors who say his symptoms are atypical but after some chest x-rays it is finally determined that he has mild asthma. His breathing is so bothersome to him in the spring of last year that he opts not to run track. He does decide to train for CC this fall and we finally get an asthma medicine that seems to give him some minor relief. In 7th grade, the highest he had finished on the team was 2nd. In 8th grade through the first 4 meets, he had finished anywhere from 4th to 2nd, but still finishing in the top 10% of any of the races he ran in (his team is pretty good). Then finally last Saturday, he busted out to a PR and beat everyone on his team soundly on a difficult course. He was stoked, and he said his breathing issue was still there but that it wasn't too bad.

Skip to this past Monday...he has a lot of pain in his abdomen and throws up all afternoon. Finally he says the pain is unbearable and we take him to the ER...he has appendicitis. It is removed early Tuesday morning. The thing was HUGE. The surgeon called it "impressive".

The second he wakes up from surgery, he says his breathing problems are gone. Now on Friday he hasn't had his twice-daily asthma medicine since Monday morning, and his breathing is perfect.

The doctors were puzzled by his symptoms and even by a slightly enlarged gland in his neck that he had the whole time (since June 2012). The doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about. Well, that gland is no longer big enough to feel.

Some research on my part tells me that a person can have an infected appendix for well over a year before they have an emergency situation and that it can cause all kinds of things including breathing problems.

He can't run until next week, and then he still has a few weeks left after that with some big meets at the end of the season. He's eager to see what he can do with his new-found perfect breathing.

Crazy. Hope you don't mind me sharing this story, but I'm amazed and very excited about this.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rare in life that we experience so immediate and profound of a 'cure' for anything. That's gotta feel freaking awesome.

Asthma is really interesting. Teddy Roosevelt struggled with it for years and obviously overcame it to become the ultimate man's man.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Stepay, that's great, man. Your son has already showed tremendous heart running with the disability. Without it, there is no telling what he can achieve. Good luck!

Regards,

Joe

(fellow runner)

Thanks. He is chomping at the bit to get out there and go running. I just asked him at lunch time how his breathing was, and he said with a big smile on his face, "still great".

Steve (Stevie Ray)

It's rare in life that we experience so immediate and profound of a 'cure' for anything. That's gotta feel freaking awesome.

Asthma is really interesting. Teddy Roosevelt struggled with it for years and obviously overcame it to become the ultimate man's man.

My son has wondered aloud several times since June 2012 if there were something systemically wrong with him. He asked about cancer, parasites. When we first tried some asthma medicine and it didn't work, he was really down...felt like he would never be able to breathe normally again. I haven't seen him this happy in a long time. It's awesome.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

That is a great story. I NEVER would have known that anything other than lungs and throat/nose etc.. could impact breathing... It's mind-blowing to me how seemingly unrelated parts of the body can impact the whole self. I hope that this is the end of his breathing issues, and am looking forward to the update after his training ramps up again.
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived