Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audition....

Ross Brown

I had an audition Tuesday evening. (I am still working in my own band, but looking for a second band to play with).

The guys were nice and talented.. They asked me to join, I considered but then declined. It was going to be a little too jazzy for me I faked it through some of the material but I am not convinced the guitar player was really listening to the junk I played just perhaps hard up to find a bass player Just a feel I got from his comments. The band had some good talent but vocals were not so good and they all smoked. I have never been so full of second hand smoke in my life and I have played many a smoky gigs.

I did play well on many songs and felt ok about it, but uninspired. The rehearsal room was cramped I mean I could not turn around without hitting the guitarist with my headstock and it was about 108F degrees in there. All of this is addressable, I know, but I also wasnt feeling the vibe. Oh well

I have another audition Tuesday with a band that probably will be a better fit. I actually got recruited by their current bass player whose job has become too demanding to allow him to continue in a band. I have played with the one guitarist before (twice). We will see. Wish me luck.

As for my current band, we are moving slow seems to be the new normal I like our guitar player and he has a good resume. Plays well, and is cool. I think it will take off once we complete the line up. We have a good drummer but he is moving on due to personal reasons (cant play a full night of music anymore for some reason not sure what is up with that). He is sticking around until we replace him. We have a gig booked in October and he will play it (just one set). He also has trouble remembering how songs start that is a problem. Cool set list Grace Potter covers, some rock, some blues some country I think it will do well once we start playing.

Thanks for reading. I hope everyone is doing well.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ross, I was just thinking of mailing you this morning, as I was driving to work :) Good to hear you are "getting out there".

I would like to hear more about the jazzy audition - what type of music / band was this? Did you (have to) improvise a lot?

I think you did well to decline - if the vibe is not there, it is just not there. Better to not put any time in it, I guess.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

The smoke would kill it for me. My parents smoked when I was growing up (have long since quit) but I've been away from that long enough to have lost any tolerance for that.

best of luck with what is next!

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I was supposed to be there at 7pm. I figure that means that the first down beat occurs at 7pm. It was nice because so did they. Cool. They were actually set up and ready to go jamming a blues progression while I carried my cab and head in (no they did not offer to help and I did not ask). I was set up, plugged in, tuned and started playing along. Just for about 24 bars they were killing time waiting for me to get ready. It was now about 6:58 and I was ready.

They had sent me the set list from their gig from two weeks ago. I knew about ¾ of it and had run through the songs I had not played in a while. They seemed to call songs that I did not know I asked for the key and off we went this is not my strongest trait (winging it but I did ok.not great, but ok). One of them seemed to think that Wild Night would be a good test for a bass player. It is not. I played it well and they seemed to think so. For the songs I did not know, I watched one of the guitarists hands that sorta worked but they had worked out the songs well and I had to know which one to watch My ear was working fairly well except some of the chord phrasings they used were odd sounded good in the songs but a little weird. When I asked about a couple of them, the guitarist that I am referring to said something that made me think that he knew what I was talking about Cool.

We played straight through for two hours. I passed on Melissa (Allmans), but they did a very nice job with it without me. I will learn it if asked to join. The song Wrap it Up (Fabulous Thunderbirds) was cool. I never played it before and got a quick shout of chords right before we started. I did ok. Apparently there is a bass solo in it at least the way they do it. I played the best instrument bass part I ever have in my life. Everyone just dropped out except the drummer (and me) I did not know it was coming and I was very happy with my work. I asked them afterwards if that was supposed to happen like that and the answer was yes.. I felt cool.

The drummer had good time and played a nice electronic kit. He played well. The two guitarists complemented each other and were very talented and tight. The whole band was tight The vocalist was good. He was sick and not up to par but 1) he showed up anyway and 2) still sounded better than a lot of folks when they feel good.

One mistake I made was not asking for the gig at the end I said let me know if you are interested. Earlier in the evening the band leader asked for my phone number and e mail (the old bass player is the one that hooked me up).

I hope they want me. What they saw and heard represented me, and I am happy about that. If it is not what they are looking for, or if it is cool. It was what I am.

There, EPB, how is that!

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

They had sent me the set list from their gig from two weeks ago. I knew about ¾ of it and had run through the songs I had not played in a while. They seemed to call songs that I did not know

Did they expect you to learn the entire set list? Are you supposed to be playing a gig with them this Saturday?

If not, why fake your way through material for an audition?

For my last audition I did not have all of the songs ready. (It was a last minute thing.) I let them know that up front. They did ask me to muddle through one or two I didn't have fully prepared but they took that into consideration.

I found out later it came down to me and another guy. They said our playing was about equal but I won on "hang".

One of them seemed to think that Wild Night would be a good test for a bass player. It is not. I played it well and they seemed to think so.

I take it you did not play the Meshell Ndegeocello bass line? That one does have a little more going on; jumping up the neck for the trills isn't exactly a cakewalk.

Good going on the ear/eye work.

Nice confidence in picking up the surprise solo.

One mistake I made was not asking for the gig at the end I said let me know if you are interested. Earlier in the evening the band leader asked for my phone number and e mail (the old bass player is the one that hooked me up).

Yes, but you know how things work on the other end, too. If you had pressed they would have just said they had other candidates to audition and they let you know (in a day, a week, whatever).

However, yes, you could have sounded more interested in the position. Again, you know on the other side of things that things like enthusiasm (or lack thereof) can be a tipping point.

You can still fix it. Give them a call/email and let them know how much you're looking forward to working with them.

However, yes, you could have sounded more interested in the position. Again, you know on the other side of things that things like enthusiasm (or lack thereof) can be a tipping point.

I don't know. I am a bit of a drama queen, and I could imagine that calling / mailing back (too soon) could come across as a bit ... needy. Which might scare people.

Truth is, you NEVER know how you come across. What Ross now describes as "perhaps playing it too cool" (quoting very freely) could come across just right to them.

Just wait and see, mate.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

One of them seemed to think that Wild Night would be a good test for a bass player. It is not. I played it well and they seemed to think so.

I take it you did not play the Meshell Ndegeocello bass line? That one does have a little more going on; jumping up the neck for the trills isn't exactly a cakewalk.

I played the Ross Brown bassline... it is very good and fits the song.

They had sent me the set list from their gig from two weeks ago. I knew about ¾ of it and had run through the songs I had not played in a while. They seemed to call songs that I did not know

Did they expect you to learn the entire set list? Are you supposed to be playing a gig with them this Saturday?

If not, why fake your way through material for an audition?

For my last audition I did not have all of the songs ready. (It was a last minute thing.) I let them know that up front. They did ask me to muddle through one or two I didn't have fully prepared but they took that into consideration.

I found out later it came down to me and another guy. They said our playing was about equal but I won on "hang".

I told them the songs I did not know and the ones I did.... I guess it was a test...

Good going on the ear/eye work.

Nice confidence in picking up the surprise solo.

Yes, but you know how things work on the other end, too. If you had pressed they would have just said they had other candidates to audition and they let you know (in a day, a week, whatever).

You can still fix it. Give them a call/email and let them know how much you're looking forward to working with them.

Played it cool for a day or so... then dropped them a note telling them that I thought they were all very talented and that I am interested in being their bass player.

I played the Ross Brown bassline... it is very good and fits the song.

:thumbs up:

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Archived