Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Teenage Engineering OP-1

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fell in love with it when it was first introduced. Then I ignored it for a couple of years. Looking at current demos I'm glad I didn't actually buy one. It's not lighting me up like it did. Now, if one came up for sale for $350, I'd buy it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I have one. :wave:

However, I'm not as talented as this guy who goes by "Cuckoo Music". He's got some videos where he makes a piece of music out of scratch, like this one:

[video:youtube]

This vid turned me on to Cuckoo's talent:

[video:youtube]

He's also got some nice videos featuring the Elektron Analog Four, Stylophone S2, Nord Modular G2, etc. even his piano.

I have one. :wave:

Are you glad you bought it? Have you gotten your money out off it?

Yes, and yes!

The vid that Scott posted is a bit outdated, btw. There have been 2 major OS updates since. The first added a new sequencer, a drum synth, MIDI LFO, and MIDI Timing Clock. The second added the CWO effect (delay with modulation - ring mod, flange, frequency shift, etc) and the DNA synth which uses the unit's unique CPU ID to generate sound.

it does have limitations that would undoubtedly drive some peeps here crazy, and I try to point them out to anyone who expresses a serious interest in buying an OP-1. If you have any interest in Euclidean rhythms, that functionality is hidden in the Endless Sequencer. The Tombola sequencer is great for drone/ambient stuff. I love the CWO effect. These are just a couple of things I find inspiring.

Also, it's surprisingly heavy for a device its size. The chassis is metal, not plastic. I do feel like it's worth every penny I spent on it, though I did pick it up on eBay.

That is cool. You could attach that to the bottom edge of your keytar and have 2 tier keytar rig.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived