Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$5 a song?

popcritic

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of interesting. I wouldn't pay $5 bucks a song, especially a Neil Young song. I do agree with live taping instead of overdubs and studio tricks. Hope the gal makes a fortune with the Starbucks high priced quality analogy...but it's not something I would be interested in. Somehow, I think the pirates out there will be selling the same downloads for 50 cents...
Take care, Larryz

5$ a song Ill pass , first off unless you have audio equipment to play high quality sounds your still stuck with low end. Do yourself a favor if you want high end audio start with getting away from the computer.

Lokair

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

first off unless you have audio equipment to play high quality sounds your still stuck with low end.

I agree. People who listen to music on their computer speakers and low grade earbuds won't be able to hear the difference. I can't say for sure, but I think that you're going to have to have devices with better D/A conversion on their sound cards too. Otherwise those subtle nuances in the sound quality aren't going to be able to be heard even with good speakers.

Not to mention the problem of storing those massive files.

Sounds typical of the market.

"Hey! Tired of the dismal sound of your music lately? Well, WE have a better sounding, high-end method of recording and streaming that music for download. Of course, to hear how GOOD it really is, you HAVE to buy OUR high-end EQUIPMENT to listen to it on!"

The article stated that she already found a lot of suckers-er-customers who willingly pay the $5. But that sounds like a limited pool of fish. I have a friend who paid $150 for an LED digital watch just a year before you could buy $6 LCD watches at the supermarket check-out lanes. We all should wait this one out.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Frankly, I'll be lining up for it. I refuse to pay anything at all for MP3's (unless it's a comedy act or something else where the sound quality isn't important) - but I'll pay good money to have an audio format that sounds f***ing GOOD on my venerable Onkyo system with my Infinity bookshelf speakers.

And, later down the road, when I invest in my two-channel reference system, I'll be looking forward to enjoying new music again...

I do hope she's got some interesting musicians on her roster...

See, I can't do the "audio wallpaper" when I fire up the stereo. It becomes a focal point of my attention - I HAVE to listen to it to the exclusion of other sensory inputs.

I have had listening sessions with a pal who is a high end audio guy, (read: a guy with over 5k$ in turntable cartridges) his system playing a first press high end album is amazing. My high end is either grado earphones or alesis m1 active monitors 520 usb with their own d2a converters. His kills mine, but his is quite costly and a hassle to move about. Mine is affordable and easy to move. I rip my own audio and rarely use mp3s. So i am no Neanderthal(except for the 3% that most humans are) in audio .

If you like your mp3s do your self a favor and get a set of Grado 60s headphones for like 80$, they soften the digital harshness and make your listening less fatiguing.

Just a few cents worth

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

My high end listening experience was with Nakamichi components-you could see the amplifier tubes glowing while you listened. It was amazing-but at that level the room you`re listening in is a factor as well.

For now, if I want to get stickly about listening quality I`d be more interested in Neil Young`s Pono player:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4692320/neil-young-pono-music-service-hardware-2014-launch

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Ole hoss here still mows the lawn with a portable CD player strapped to his hip. I prefer this for certain main reasons.

I've had several CDs burned that are compilations of songs that I haven't had on other media, including "store bought" CDs. I suppose I could transfer all these CDs to MP3, and store them in an iPod type device, but then I would have to hunt through all of it to find what I want to listen to at the time. Just strapping on the iPod and turning it on would be the same as Griffinator's "wallpaper", just mere distraction. I want to be able to feel like HEARING whatever is piped into my ears. Utilizing different CDs gives me that option. Sometimes I'll push the mower to Zappa, other times to a collection of "oldies", other times it may be Rob McConnell. And I just pop it in, and I'm good to go.

Another issue is "earbuds". Never stay in my ears, and are as uncomfortable as hell. To me, anyway. I suppose I could plug my headphones into the iPod, it looks like the same jack, but as I'm not going the iPod route, I'll just have to guess.

For home, I have a '90's Nakamichi Stasis 4A-TA and a Miller & Kreisel sat-sub combo that everything is hooked up to. Cable box, CD player, old VCR and the DVD player all run through it. I haven't used the speakers in the TV for years.

As you guessed, I come from an "old school" mind set that stems from a time when the audio equipment one owned was THE focal point of the home, and a main source of personal pride. Using earphones, earbuds, tablets or cell phones as my main source for sound just won't cut it. It's like turning down Kobe beef in favor of White Castle's.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, it's all relative.

Remember when high definition video first came out? A lot of people said too expensive or I have to have a special TV just to see it or whatever...

Now most of us cringe when we think of the low resolution we used to watch. Of course, visual is not the same as audio, but I see where this could eventually be huge.

The high price is very temporary (like expensive hi-def used to be).

The reception devices will follow delivery technology and at some point you won't even be able to buy low quality, lossy audio.

Times they are a changin.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

If you like your mp3s do your self a favor and get a set of Grado 60s headphones for like 80$, they soften the digital harshness and make your listening less fatiguing.

Lok

Have a pair of those Grados and they're pretty good - AKG 140 also worked well but are no longer in production. I had a pair but they blew-out and couldn't be fixed.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Archived