Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha PSR-E433 vs Casio WK-6500

raidex

Hi everyone,

After much research and time, I've narrowed my desired keyboards to these two.

The Casio WK-6500 and the Yamaha PSR-E433

I've made up a list of things I wasn't able to find out about, and if you guys could answer as many of these questions as possible it'd really help me out.

Apparently if you split the keyboard, you lose the layering effects on the Casio? Is this the same for Yamaha?

Can you edit tones on the instrument live/on the fly on the Casio? I know you can on the Yamaha with the 2 dials. Do they have a lot of freedom?

Can you create tones on the Yamaha? (Keep in mind I said create, not edit, as obviously both have editing capabilities)

Apparently creating tones on Casio is very limited to pointless things.

Which has more overall sound editing possibilities?

Can you loop patterns on them?

Apparently you can't turn off the inbuilt speakers on the Casio, although I find that hard to believe.

Can you shift the octaves easily on the Yamaha? So is it possible to play classical music that require the higher and lower octaves easily. This is not a huge priority, but I'd like to know. Is it worth getting the 76 keys of the Casio?

Can you download new soundscapes/tones onto both of them? And easily?

Which has better overall sound quality?

Is 32 Polyphony notes on the Yamaha enough? (Casio has 48)

How do the 2 go about creating patterns?

From what I've heard, you can create your own patterns on the Casio, but not on the Yamaha, however you can download PLENTY of patterns for it. Is this correct? Can you download patterns for the Casio?

Can the Yamaha Sequencer edit individual recorded parts?

Much thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
raidex , I mute the Casio speakers by inserting a 1/4" TRS plug into the headphone jack which is on the rear panel .Sound eduting on-the -fly is not easy . You have to push the Function button and the Mixer button simultaneously which gets you into menus , then find the reverb , for ex. Takes 20 seconds in between songs .Layered splits are possible ,easy , but limited to two tones per split .Casio has more editing possibilities .You can loop the Casio . Haven't gotten into the patterns too much .The Casio has 49 organs w drawbars and rotary effects which are pretty good . I am thinking about getting the PSR to throw in the trunk as my travel keyboard . Definitely like the 76 keys of the Casio .

Have you considered the WK-7500? There are lots of these available used for less than a new WK-6500. If you are looking to create loops, you can do it with WK-7500-called pattern sequencing. You get the sliders that function as drawbars for the organ sounds. The poly of the WK-7500 is also greater at 64. If you want to create music the sequencer in the WK-7500 is beyond what the PSR 433 will do and it will record it as a .wav file. I've seen these as cheap as $249 used on Guitar Center.com. There are additional sounds on the casio music website. I don't know if all of them are compatible, but some may work.

The WK-6500 has Registration which allow you to store your splits and layers for INSTANT recall, so it shouldn't be taking 20 seconds between songs. Just store them and recall them for the specific songs.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

In addition to the WK-7500 which is a BIG step up from the WK-6500 in terms of sound quality, editing and control, you may want to consider a XW-P1. If gives you the real-time controls over sounds - allows up to 4 zones per Performance and has some sonic capabilities and downloadable sound libraries that are better than the WK-7500. You give up the accompaniment features and speakers but it might worth checking out.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived