Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine Electronic Musician
Topic Options
#1711720 - 03/04/07 04:06 PM Recording/distributing covers - what legalities?
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Registered: 08/30/04
Posts: 3773
Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
Hi Folks:

A friend and I are considering doing a CD, and there may be a couple of cover songs on the CD.

In general, what's the process for being able to legally sell a CD that has a cover tune on it? For instance, let's say we wanted to do Journey's "Stone in Love", but a different arrangment. How would I go about finding out who to pay royalties to? What's the paperwork and process involved?

Thanks in advance!
Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.
- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

#1717030 - 03/13/07 08:54 PM Re: Recording/distributing covers - what legalities? [Re: Gruuve]
Calfee Jones Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 09/25/00
Posts: 395
Loc: Memphis USA
To include a song on your record that has been previously released you need a mechanical license. They are simple to get - start your search at

That takes you to the Harry Fox Agency - look at their overview topic. It looks like they license your song there. Do a little reading and it's pretty easy to figure out. Good Luck!
- Calfee Jones

#1726843 - 04/01/07 09:21 AM Re: Recording/distributing covers - what legalities? [Re: Calfee Jones]
Neil Wilkes Offline
Gold Member

Registered: 07/06/02
Posts: 515
Loc: London, UK
In the UK (Not at all sure about outside) the body who handles this is the MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society).