Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1696655 - 02/02/07 10:49 AM Help: Transferring audio casettes to MP3?
RigzinDorje Offline

What is the overall most cost effective hardware/software for transferring my precious casettes to my PC? I have a good ASUS motherboard with good built-in sound card. Do I need an analog to digital converter? Are there stand-alone systems for this?
Thanks

#1915054 - 03/23/08 09:01 PM Re: Help: Transferring audio casettes to MP3? [Re: RigzinDorje]
toad Offline

Loc: oklahoma
my poor man's version is to go from tape to minidisc, digital out from minidisc to digital-in to stand alone CD burner{my back-up)to microsoft "in" via mp3. The minidisc is great for coming back and editing tapes and records between songs.

#1958007 - 06/15/08 11:19 AM Re: Help: Transferring audio casettes to MP3? [Re: toad]
Guitar Slinger Offline

The cheapest easiest way to do this is to take an RCA to Mini stereo cable and connect your cassette deck to the Line-In jack on your computers soundcard. Then simply use an audio capture software like Nero's .wav editor or even Windows built-in Sound Recorder to record your cassette. This method is cheap and it works but it won't sound as good as having an external firewire or USB audio input.
I personally use Goldwave to record and edit sound files like the ones you will be working with.

#1982215 - 08/19/08 05:39 PM Re: Help: Transferring audio casettes to MP3? [Re: Guitar Slinger]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I had a SoundBlaster Audigy that had RCA inputs and it was a PCI sound card...not too terribly expensive either....however if you look around you could probably find a 99 dollar USB interface with RCA inputs and have a pretty dang good way into your computer with it (the interface would probably also come bundled with some good free starter software for editing as well_.

http://www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

Edited by Mortal Engines (08/19/08 05:39 PM)