Print Thread
Helping out some ailing forums…. #1694804 01/30/07 04:05 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
There’s been some discussion over on the EQ Forums about what it would take to resurrect the EQ Forums to their former glory…and to ultimately support EQ Magazine which is also trying to regain its stature.

I can’t help but notice that there are many people here that do record occasionally or that have a decent (or really decent) project studio rig and they do recording on a regular basis.
But too often, questions/threads specifically pertaining to the recording business, recording techniques and recording gear…are posted on the more specialized forums (Guitar Player, Keyboard…etc).
And while those threads/topics receive some action there…they also tend to get lost amid the countless forum-specific topics.

As a longtime member of the MP Forums and someone who can remember how active all of them use to be in the early years… I would like to ask all of you newer members (and you old-timers too) who are active “recordists” and studio owners…to please give the EQ Forums (Use Your Ears Forum, Acoustics Forum, Project Studio Forum, Surround Professional Forum) some special attention and start posting your recording/studio specific questions there.
And even if you are not yet recording or own any studio gear…your participation on the EQ Forums just might be the ticket that gets you involved in the very satisfying world of music recording!
There are always a few knowledgeable people there…and of course, JJ Blair is truly a wealth of pro-level knowledge…and IMO…an untapped resource.
I know he too would love to see more participation on the EQ Forums!

More participation on the EQ Forums will:

1. Bring some life back to those ailing forums.

2. Concentrate the same type of topics in one area.

3. Bring more similar minded people together in one location…allowing for greater and faster dissemination of information and ideas pertaining to recording and studio gear.

I am posting this thread on the other individual forums…and I will be bumping it up occasionally.

Let’s make February the EQ Forums month!
(OK…that sounds kinda’ corny… \:\) … but really, your participation is most welcome and very needed!)

Thanks!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."
GP Island
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694816 01/30/07 04:14 PM
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I encourage asking lots of questions about Behringer, Bose, and Monster Cable... ;\)

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Billster] #1694823 01/30/07 04:19 PM
Trucks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would be happy to take my little recording questions over there, but in fear of being told what I already know (I dont have any decent equipment) I have avoided it \:\)

I see alot of "well that is crap" or "you need $6000 monitor's" when recording questions get asked. I know that would be ideal, but what would the reception be down on the EQ forum when I ask about recording my acoustic guitar with a throwaway SM58 and cheap ass Behringer 2 channel mixer \:\)

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Billster] #1694824 01/30/07 04:19 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Well you know...that's the whole point.

There are a lot people who are new to recording...and they end up falling prey to some dumb schmuck "salesperson" who hasn't go a clue...or they get the wrong info by bouncing around the wrong websites/forums.

Having a lot of participation/discussion on forums that feature recording/studio topics...would help people get the best answers and thus avoiding the wrong techniques...and the wrong gear.

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694828 01/30/07 04:24 PM
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
You want traffic, post a few Behringer questions for 02190 \:D

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694829 01/30/07 04:24 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Trucks...yeah...there are those who have "graduated" to truly "pro-level" status...but most are project studio people (like me)...
...and you know...we ALL started with the same dumb questions...and NO REAL BUGDET to afford the $6000 preamp! ;\)

So...you gotta' just jump in...and wade through the info...as there will always be multi-level conversations and information.

It's no different than talking guitar shop around here...we are not all on the same plane...but we manage to find answers and interesting discussions from time to time.

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Billster] #1694830 01/30/07 04:25 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Billster
You want traffic, post a few Behringer questions for 02190 \:D

Hey...as much as Nick and I have gone toe-to-toe...
...I still like Nick, and even though he is sometimes "blunt"...
...he is a very knowledgeable person about audio related things.

You just gotta' be a little liberal with the salt sometimes... ;\)

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694842 01/30/07 04:49 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
There are a few purists in the Studio forum, leftover from back in the day when we had a huge contingent of pro studio guys at George's and Roger's forums. Nick is a cool guy, he just has strong opinions re: cheap kit, and the waste that it ultimately ends up being.

His reasoning is actually very sound - why spend $XX on a cheapo version of something you need when you're going to wind up replacing it with the better one later, because the sound quality is inferior? Spend a little more now and skip the upgrade step!

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694843 01/30/07 04:51 PM
Rampdog Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I belong to that forum and I am pretty new to home recording... I have posted questions in there and waited days even weeks and still have not received any type of answer. I also belong to the Sonar Forum and I get fairly quick answers there... On a number of occasions I have posted my recording question in here and you guys are all over it like a hobo on a hotdog... I usually get my answer within an hour if not in minutes... This has got to be the most understanding and helpful forum I have ever been a part of... Not once have you guys ever told me to take my question somewhere else... Neil, Bill, Sas, Bluesape, Trucks, mdrs, Ellwood, Miro, etc. etc...you guys have always answered or pointed me in the right direction...I wish the EQ forum was half as helpful as this 'Guitar' forum...
Woof

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Rampdog] #1694847 01/30/07 04:53 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
That's the reason why - there's so little traffic over there that many of us have given up on it.

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Rampdog] #1694878 01/30/07 05:24 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Rampdog
I have posted questions in there and waited days even weeks and still have not received any type of answer.

Exactly why I would like to see more people head over there and create a focused, active recording/studio environment...like it was at one time.

Heck...is you asked a question 3-4 years ago...you would have gotten about 20 answers in as many seconds.
But yeah...it's kinda' slow over there these days...but please don't let that keep you away.
We need to break the silence over there and get things moving again!

I'll poke my head into the older threads and see if I can find your posts that didn't get answered...only I can't promise I will have all the answers! ;\)

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1694909 01/30/07 06:12 PM
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Miro, I'm with ya! I will help, I'm going over and ask some questions about my USB microphone! I bet I can get some good tips on how to use it there. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Dr. Ellwood] #1694966 01/30/07 07:41 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
We have EQ forums???

;\)

I'll take a look, but I have to agree with previous comments. There just isn't enough interest to snowball into an ongoing conversation over there.

Maybe your call to arms will change things over there, Miro. I'll do what I can.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: fantasticsound] #1694992 01/30/07 08:15 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
duh. Missed the "wink", Neil. Color me stupid...

Last edited by Griffinator; 01/30/07 08:23 PM.
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Griffinator] #1694997 01/30/07 08:20 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
I know what you mean, Neil.

I'm just hoping that if enough recording/studio questions get asked over there instead of elsewhere...
...people will start responding more...and it might pick things up a bit.

I like spending a lot of time here on the GP forum...but I think the EQ forums are quite relative since there ARE a lot of folks here and on the other forums that are also involved with recording.

JJ Blair is a real "pro"...though maybe not as well known as some we've had in the past (Massenburg, Nichols, Cherney...etc)...he is certainly a studio veteran…
...and he's also got a GREAT sense of humor!

I’ve been trying to “coax” ;\) the rest of EQ magazine folks to start hanging around on a more regular basis…and maybe even bring in a guest celeb/”name” every once in awhile to stir up more action.

So…we’ll see how things go over the next few months….

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1695000 01/30/07 08:24 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
Any chance of dragging George back in for a cameo? Maybe bring Nika too, we can have another "96k" thread! \:D

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Griffinator] #1695036 01/30/07 09:30 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
I think GM is ensconced in the PSW forums...
...and Nika was busy writing papers and a book on digital audio concepts, though I think he still works at Sweetwater.
He was my Sweetwater "rep" for a brief period, and then someone else took over....

Hey…there are a lot of “names” that MP can pull in to do guest appearances on the EQ Forums…and other forums too!

I would love to see some of the EQ magazine interviews begin in an EQ issue….the transition/continue over to the forums…with a conclusion featuring a day or two with the actual interviewee on the forums answering a few questions.
You would have to read the issue to get a handle on the topics…then follow the discussions on the forums to get the final perspectives and also follow up with Q&A of the celeb/“name”.

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1695071 01/30/07 10:17 PM
Trucks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: miroslav
I would love to see some of the EQ magazine interviews begin in an EQ issue….the transition/continue over to the forums…with a conclusion featuring a day or two with the actual interviewee on the forums answering a few questions.
You would have to read the issue to get a handle on the topics…then follow the discussions on the forums to get the final perspectives and also follow up with Q&A of the celeb/“name”.

It would be good fun.... and pretty damn good for both mag sales and forum activity! Cool idea Slav!

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Griffinator] #1695134 01/30/07 11:58 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Griffinator

I didn't even get to read your comments, Griff. \:D

Believe me, I'm not really surprised you missed the wink. The new smiley's are all but useless. Too detailed for their size.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Griffinator] #1695160 01/31/07 12:47 AM
K
Kendrix Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Its hard to mix the differnt levels of expertise in a forum with new people entering all the time. You inevitably end up repeating well worn conversations and then repeating them again, and again.
Over time that has tended to drive the pros away

Im not sure what the answer is.
A natural language search capability would ceretainly help.

I do miss the way it was.

Check out some tunes here:
http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Kendrix] #1695264 01/31/07 05:35 AM
Kramer Ferrington III. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Kendrix
Its hard to mix the differnt levels of expertise in a forum with new people entering all the time.

Well, it's not as if THIS forum doesn't get a bunch of "What guitar for me?" questions from absolute beginners. \:D

And after we answer their questions, a lot of them never come back, not even to say whether they actually bought a guitar or not. Objectively, a lot of those threads could possibly be a waste of everybody's time, ours and the poster's.

But it doesn't really matter, though. The important thing is that we helped someone and perhaps had some fun doing it. Perhaps we even exchanged posts with the future EVH (highly unlikely, but...) I'm sure people in the Lowdown would say pretty much the same thing.

And look on the bright side... I'm sure that by the time someone gets around to asking questions from the EQ forum, their questions are sure to be a bit more interesting than "What guitar should I buy?" \:\) \:D

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: fantasticsound] #1695343 01/31/07 01:08 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
Originally Posted By: fantasticsound
Originally Posted By: Griffinator

I didn't even get to read your comments, Griff. \:D

Didn't miss anything but me explaining what forums were under the EQ umbrella...

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Kramer Ferrington III.] #1695345 01/31/07 01:11 PM
G
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club
G
Originally Posted By: Kramer Ferrington III.
And look on the bright side... I'm sure that by the time someone gets around to asking questions from the EQ forum, their questions are sure to be a bit more interesting than "What guitar should I buy?" \:\) \:D

Don't bet on it. "What DAW software should I buy" and "What mic should I buy" get old too. ;\)

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Griffinator] #1695395 01/31/07 03:16 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
Yeah...there are a lot of cyclical trends...
...and I bet even if you got to where all the big time "pros" hang out (where is that, anyway? ;\) )...
...you'll find that even there some topics keep coming back like a bad cold.

But that's OK...if you have nothing to say on those repetitive threads…just move on.
I think that after awhile...underneath all of the basic, superficial chatter...there are deeper thoughts/threads than emerge from time to time...and I think that's the most we can expect.

If anyone is looking for fresh new “fireworks-worthy” discourse on a daily basis on all these forums...you'll be disappointed…quick. \:\)

It's like a nice long rollercoaster ride...

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Kramer Ferrington III.] #1695477 01/31/07 05:22 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Kramer Ferrington III.
Its hard to mix the differnt levels of expertise in a forum with new people entering all the time.

Well, it's not as if THIS forum doesn't get a bunch of "What guitar for me?" questions from absolute beginners. \:D

I think there's a big difference though. There are so many people playing guitar or keys or drums that the experienced (but not full time pros) and novices make up a wide range of expertise who are interested in hanging around here. In recording there are a few places where "big names" and full time pros congregate and the EQ forums, IME, are not them. There was a time when big name pros moderated and hung out here, but such is rarely the case unless the forum is dominated by pros, hence PSW gets most of the attention of Pros. Don't feel bad though. There are several sound and lighting magazines that have difficulty attracting continued participation from working pros because... they're working pros. The life of a production tech leaves little or no time to post to these forums.

Case in point, we were talking about "the good ole days" of the SSS here at MP and even its' days at AOL and NYC Drew's name came up. Here's a guy who participated more than a bit (but not a LOT) who was touring with national acts and some locals while simultaneously running his own IT business. Then there's the family. A wife and several kids... He posted here a bit for a while, but eventually something had to give. I'm glad it was his continued online participation and not either family or career. I'd love to have him back, but not at the expense of his "real" life.

So that's the rub. We don't need Eddie Van Halen, etc. to show up here to have members who represent really pro level playing and interest/knowledge of gear. On the other hand, in recording it really helps to have interested pros because there aren't nearly as many competent mixers with extensive expertise/experience/knowledge. (In contrast to musicians playing common instruments.) There certainly is more need for hands on assistance (in recording and mixing) than with instruments. A novice guitarist can easily progress at technique, etc. with online or hard copy resources whereas recording is a bit more intangible.

Don't underestimate the lack of pros in numbers on those forums and their effect in keeping the forums interesting and useful.

Last edited by fantasticsound; 01/31/07 05:26 PM.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: fantasticsound] #1695502 01/31/07 05:58 PM
miroslav Offline OP
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club
OP Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

On the other hand, in recording it really helps to have interested pros because there aren't nearly as many competent mixers with extensive expertise/experience/knowledge. (In contrast to musicians playing common instruments.) There certainly is more need for hands on assistance (in recording and mixing) than with instruments. A novice guitarist can easily progress at technique, etc. with online or hard copy resources whereas recording is a bit more intangible.

Don't underestimate the lack of pros in numbers on those forums and their effect in keeping the forums interesting and useful.

Exactly!

I've had a bit of disagreement with the EQ magazine staff about the need for more "pros" both in the magazine and o the forums.
Yeah...I know it's hard to get "pros" to hang or write for free...but then, there are those that like having some outlets other than the studio...and writing or being interviewed or posting occasionally on a forum is not too demanding.

Plus...when you have 2-3 or more "pros"...you never have to really tax any one too much.
In those early days of MP...we certainly had more than 2-3 pros.
When the MP management allowed GM to get away...and that whole PWS thing got going...a lot of the other regular "big guns" just naturally gravitated there.

I know the MP forums and mags were never about being on the "pro" bcutting edge...and they were always more focused on the mid-to-moving-up group...
...but you still need a few solid anchors around!

Neil, some of your thoughts should be shared over in the EQ Editors forums...as this is a hot topic for both the EQ Forums and Mag!

Last edited by miroslav; 01/31/07 05:59 PM.

Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: miroslav] #1695584 01/31/07 08:02 PM
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I'll repost them over there.

Soundclick
fntstcsnd
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: fantasticsound] #1695603 01/31/07 08:42 PM
Kramer Ferrington III. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think there's a big difference though. There are so many people playing guitar or keys or drums that the experienced (but not full time pros) and novices make up a wide range of expertise...

Ok, point taken.

Last edited by Kramer Ferrington III.; 01/31/07 09:06 PM.
Re: Helping out some ailing forums…. [Re: Kendrix] #1695805 02/01/07 02:07 AM
Guitar55 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
.....Im not sure what the answer is.
A natural language search capability would ceretainly help.

That would assume that the original posts were written in a natural language. (insert legible winking smiley here)