Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on a new keyboard wanted

Rumca

Dear fellow key lovers,

I would very much appreciate some advice on a replacement for my old Korg Triton Classic 61 key friend. I searched around a lot for advice already posted, but none quite fit my situation. A lot has been said about the keys I'm about to mention, but all of it has just got me confused.

I play in a very mixed style band of soft-rock/pop/jazzy performances. Now that I'm starting to gig and drive around a lot it seems necessary to improve my sound and feel a bit - I'd love to play a fully weighted keyboard. And the Triton is showing signs of wear.

The sounds I use most are pianos (which suck on the Triton) and E. Pianos. I do throw in the occasional synth, pad and string sound from now and then, but that's just because I feel like I should take advantage of the Tritons strengths or else I'm not doing justice to the wonderful instrument it is.

My max budget would be up to 2000$, but only if it's really worth it. Otherwise I'd love to spend below 1500$.

I'm 95% sure I want a fully weighted keyboard, although if something amazing would be available within my price range without one I'd think about it.

After quite a bit of looking around I've found that the Korg SV-1 meets my expectations the most. And it has a 73 key weighted keyboard, which is great since I'd rarely be using the extra notes and driving around would be much easier with the lower weight and length.

Plus, it looks great and I love the knobs and how it's all right there in front of you (even if the "all" is very limited). This is a rather big selling point for me.

But I'm a bit concerned about the limitations of not having any reasonable split/layer options except for the ones Korg supply (stock and download). I currently do a few splits of pad/epiano or strings/epiano, but do you suppose there are workarounds to be found for that on the Korg? And I suppose the 5% of my performance being synth sounds, I could find something to fit that there as well?

And the controls on the knobs seem limited as well. Are there controls for cutoff/resonnance/envelope (is that what it's called?) or something similar somewhere there?

The Korg SV-1 here is 750,-LVL (1350$) available in a shop.

My alternatives would be:

- a used Yamaha S90ES for about 1000,-EUR (1276$) (auction);

- a used Roland RD700GX about 1000,-EUR (auction);

- a used Roland RD700SX probably about 900,-EUR (auction);

- a new Korg Krome 88 key for about 2000$, but I'm now thinking it's probably not a good idea. Great and many sounds, but a crappy keyboard I believe;

- a new Yamaha MOX8 for about 2000$, but I'm not sure I liked the sound and feel of it, although I did only get to play a synth-action one;

- the Nords are all very expensive if I want the fully weighted one;

- no Kurzweil options around here sadly;

- any other suggestions?

I have however been setting myself in the mood-set of buying new instead of used, as I keep buying used stuff only and now that I sort of have the opportunity I'd love to treat myself for once.

I live in Latvia, so buying on ebay from the US would probably be a bad option.

Sorry for the long essay, but I thought I'd try and give as much information as possible.

Thank you all in advance!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. I can't be very much help (all my boards are Kurzweils), but I'd be considering the used S90ES - although you would need to be sure it is in good condition. I have been an electronic tech for close to 50 years, and the electronics in modern instruments generally works for quite a while. Mechanical things on the board, such as the key action (some call it the keybed) are more likely to fail with use.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Your budget can purchase a lot of keyboard these days. Review prior threads. If willing to wait, consider the new Privia PX5s as it looks like a nice multi purpose weighted keyboard well under your limit. You don't seem to need Hammond clonewheel capabilities so a digital piano with other good sounds may do the trick.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Your budget can purchase a lot of keyboard these days.

+1. The PX5 is one to watch - if you're happy with 88 keys.

If you want a 73/76, then the choices are limited. SV1 or NE3HP/4HP, neither of which split. (Kronos 73 is probably out of budget, and pretty well as big as an 88).

Applying AnotherScott's principle: keep your Triton and add a SV1 to it (you say your Triton is showing signs of wear - will it last?)

Or go a different way with a new unweighted board and controller underneath (Studiologic Acuna 73 if you want a shorter bottom tier). Korg Krome 61, Yamaha MOX6 or MX61 on top, perhaps?

One weakness in all these suggestions is no organ model (only organ "patches") - I don't know if that's important to you. If it is, the (notorious!) VR09 could be of interest to you.

Cheers, Mike.

Looking at the youtube presentation of the Privia it just looks so dull and plain. I really don't feel like ordering a blind purchase of something that doesn't look too good on a video. I am probably too into looks, but they do say something, don't they? Besides, nearly every musician over here will look at it and think only of the crap arrangers they sell here in Latvia :)

And it'll probably be a long while until I can get one to Latvia...

I think I could live without splits, I never liked playing them anyway. Just a bit worried about never having the option. But the NE3HP/4HP are much more expensive than the Korg is now, aren't they?

And I'd really like to find a solution that fits my needs without having to bring multiple devices. At least for now.

I'm trying to find the money to keep the Triton and I probably will. I'm sure it'll come in handy sometime, right? Might take it with me to the more serious gigs.

As for organs, that's probably not a problem. I've probably played organs 2% of my playtime, so I suppose even the Korg SV1 will suffice.

Looking at the youtube presentation of the Privia it just looks so dull and plain. I really don't feel like ordering a blind purchase of something that doesn't look too good on a video. I am probably too into looks, but they do say something, don't they? Besides, nearly every musician over here will look at it and think only of the crap arrangers they sell here in Latvia :)

Yes, if you are looking for a sexy looking keyboard instead of being interested in sounds and playability, you might look at something else, then.

Well not necessarily a sexy one... but it just doesn't inspire confidence yet. I'd love to try it out, but noone here will be selling it when it comes out.

Maybe you're right and it should'nt matter at all

When someone is looking at the direction of the keyboard player, I'm the one that's sexy, not the keyboard!

:laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hmmm, if the Casio Privia PX5S does not appeal to you, then I would be leaning towards the Yamaha S90ES....provided that it is in good condition. It has a great action and would have enough high quality sounds & flexibility to cover a very broad range of needs, although it is a bit on the heavy side by current standards. All of the pianos & EP's are great. My Yamaha Motif ES is a keeper, so I can vouch for the flexibilty of the instrument. Is there any way that you can evaluate the keyboard before the purchase?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

One way to evaluate keyboards is to go to good jams where there's a keyboard player and try out his or her rig. Casio PX-5S is not shipping anywhere yet, so there are very few independent reviews out there. Not that Mike Martin has done an excellent job presenting the features and sound with audio and video clips.

Sexy matters. You have to like what keyboard you're playing, especially if it has to hold you for a while.

There's no doubt the SV-1 is not going to do the splits you want/need and it doesn't offer anything close to synth-like controls. If you need a synth, this isn't it. It's much closer to being an electric piano than anything, and it's a throwback to the days when keyboards only made one sound. Of course the SV-1 does far more than make just one sound but I think we've become jaded with swiss-army-knife keyboards that compromise on everything in order to do everything. The SV-1 does less than a Krome or a MOX8 but delivers more IMHO.

The SV-1 sparked a retro stage in my professional life to the point that I stopped playing horn lines or trying to comp an orchestra. I now play keyboards once again - acoustic pianos, Rhodes, Wurlis, Vox Continentals, Hammond organ, Clavinet etc. and not surprisingly I find that is really what my bandmates want also.

If you like the SV-1 sound and feel then you will find ways to incorporate it's strengths into your act and minimize the weaknesses, given the fact that there is no perfect solution to your needs and budget. It's not a matter of what keyboard fit with your current songlist, it's what inspiration will come from your (sexy) new keyboard.

Sadly the only S90ES near enough is in Germany so - no, I can't evaluate it. I did get to sit down at another one of these for about 2 minutes at a rehersal I passed by. In the tiny moment I was on it I think I liked the feel of the action and sounds I heard (the acoustic piano didn't seem quite superb, but it's an old board). I didn't find it very intuitive to use, but hey - it's 2min. And it's large and heavy. Otherwise, probably superb.

Here's a link to the one available anyway: http://www.ebay.de/itm/111039351798?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

EDIT: An extra question - if getting the SV-1, was there an actual improvement between the original and tke BK version later on (think I read something like that somewhere)?

Is the M50-88 still available or has it been discontinued?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

EDIT: An extra question - if getting the SV-1, was there an actual improvement between the original and tke BK version later on (think I read something like that somewhere)?

The Black version came with different sounds, but you can download them from Korg website into the original version. The original model had a sticker reading "RH3" and the later models read "RH3 Made in Japan". Some people report problems with the early keyboards, but mine has been fine.

Yamaha CP4 Stage

Kurzweil PC361

+1 for the S90ES, provided it is in good condition, and everything works on it. Other than everything that's already been mentioned here, I'd try out a used Motif 8, or Motif ES8. The sounds are quite good for how old the keyboards are, and quite frankly, I like the older Yamaha piano sounds better.

Also, the MM8 might be an option for you, if they haven't discontinued it yet. You might also be able to find one used as well.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Sadly the keyboard market in Latvia is slim to say the least and there are no used Motifs around here at all. And the S90ES is on ebay in Germany. I have someone who could pick it up there, but I have no means of getting there myself to test it. Can't decide if I'm ready to risk 1000 EUR like that. Motifs are ofcourse even more expensive on ebay and no MM8's around at all - only an MM6.

Thank you all for the feedback. At the moment it seems like I can keep my Triton and am leaning towards getting the SV-1. The low weight, length and price are in fact strong factors and I'd have the Triton left to take to more demanding gigs for synth and pad emergencies I guess.

And then there's the fact that I've tried it first hand. I do however have no good reference point as the Triton is the only serious keyboard I've had.

Has anyone owned both the S90ES and the Sv-1 perhaps?

Is the M50-88 still available or has it been discontinued?

Discontinued, replaced with the Kromage...

http://www.rytmuskk.eu/wp-content/uploads/korg-krome3.jpg

That being said, there are still a few new M50's floating about online.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

How about that Krome? Is it a valid contender with it's 88 key (presumably crappy) keyboard? I think it doesn't kave a 73 key weighted option, right?

At least I have one 88 key Krome here in a store to look at. Might it be worth a fairly long drive? I think the 88 key one here is as near as makes no difference 2000$. I guess I'm weird in a way that I both would like the easy in your face knobby interface of the SV-1 as well as the feature loaded Krome.

Krome 88s are nice. As for an SV-1 like interface and feature listings like Krome, most hardware companies create different configs just to sell more equipment. And a hybrid system might drive up the price as well.

Personally I like mix-and-match systems for various gigs so I don't mind bringing two keyboards, or even three with a light MIDI controller+Mainstage just to cover whatever areas I need.

Ok, I've been looking around a lot and now it's got even tougher since I tried the Yamaha MOX6 again in a different store and it now sounded very good to me. I guess the earphones I tried it on before must've been crappy.

And I found out that the guy who owns the studio we rehearse at gets awesome discounts for new keys (around 20%) and will help me get a good deal. So now I'm certain I want to buy a new unit.

Could someone comment on the MOX8 keybed/action and how it compares to the Krome? And please share your general thoughts on the two units.

MOX8 Cons: it might turn out more expensive here and I've grown very accustomed to the touchscreen on my Triton, so the Krome seems so much more intuitive and easy to use. And there's no 88 key version around so cant' try it out and they'd have to order it...

But the MOX does seem a bit more capable sound-wise at first glance.

Archived