Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1691476 - 05/19/06 03:13 PM "Tell Me Something Good" Transcription
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Rufus: Tell Me Something Good

Brian’s “Tell Me Something Good” transcription, while spot on, is more difficult than it needs to be. The reason that the beat feels like it’s getting turned around is because it is getting turned around. Bootsy is still right; it‘s still all about the ‘one‘, but in this tune the 'one' changes. To make it easier to read and feel, change the time signature to 8/8 instead of 4/4, but still feel it 'in 4' (much like 4/4 time felt ‘in 2’). On the disc “The Very Best of Rufus”, the tune starts off with what sounds like the electric piano player’s left hand on the downbeats and the guitar on the upbeats. Four bars later, the bass guitar comes in with that tasty lick and joins the piano bass/left hand. You can’t miss it, baby. Bass is on the downbeat, guitar is on the upbeat. Then, in the last measure before the chorus, change just that one bar to 9/8 time signature, which just adds another beat. When you get to that measure, beat your foot ‘in 8’ instead of ‘in 4‘. Add the extra beat that‘s in the 9/8 measure, and Bam! The chorus is right on schedule every time, and is back in 8/8 (but still felt ‘in 4‘). Change the time signature of the very last bar of the chorus to 7/8 for just that one bar, beat your foot ‘in 8’ but after 7 beats, Bam! You’re back into the verse. No point in working so hard, eh? Or am I missing something?

What’s that? You don’t like 8/8 time signatures? Go the other way instead: Keep the original 4/4, but put in twice as many bar lines and double the note values (eight note becomes a quarter note, etc.) but feel the tune ‘in 2’. Add a 5/4 bar before the chorus and a 3/4 bar before the 2nd verse begins. Beat your foot "in four" for these oddball measures, and you're done.

Then the fun begins, ‘cause then you get to watch the dancers fall all over themselves.

Peace
Paul Kempkes

fretless@twcny.rr.com
http://home.twcny.rr.com/kempkes
http://www.cdbaby.com/paulkempkes

#1691477 - 06/05/06 11:42 AM Re: "Tell Me Something Good" Transcription
Brian Fox Moderator Offline

Loc: San Bruno, CA
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. But seriously? I think it's as simple as "play on the upbeats for two bars, then play downbeats for two bars." I love whacked out time signatures as much as the next guy (actually, probably more), but I don't think they're called for in this case. But the bottom line here is feel. If this is how you feel the groove, awesome!

Then again, the drums are solidly in 4/4 on this one. Anyway, fun to think about. Thanks again!

BF

#1691478 - 06/05/06 04:39 PM Re: "Tell Me Something Good" Transcription
Obi-Wan Offline

Loc: Atlanta
I am having problems with the transcription as well. Not neccessarily from the timing, but where is the High A-Flat that starts the main riff, at times it is not in the tab.

It seems to me that he plays the A-flat (on the d-string ) to start the walk each time, but this seems to be missing out of the transcription?? Or is the quick little grace A-flat note on the E-string supposed to take it's place every other measure?? I am confused, am I playing the harpsichord part?

#1691479 - 06/05/06 06:35 PM Re: "Tell Me Something Good" Transcription
Brian Fox Moderator Offline

Loc: San Bruno, CA
That x-ed out ghost note at the start of bar 6 is the Ab you're talking about. I put it as a ghost note because it's not as clearly articulated as the other notes in the line. Make sense?

#1691480 - 06/06/06 07:42 AM Re: "Tell Me Something Good" Transcription
Obi-Wan Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Thanks Brian, THis is really cool chatting with you!!

Let me try it like that, it jsut seems to me it has a little more emphasis, I guess I am getting confused because of the harpsichord intruding on bass frequencies...

Moderator:  Brian Fox