Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1691263 - 08/29/05 12:58 AM All Hail Anthony Jackson
Jonathan Herrera Offline

As a bass player, like all of you, I hear a lot of other bass players. We are cursed with a forever bass-centric ear...music is nearly impossible to listen to with instrumental objectivity.

As a Bass Player editor, I've heard A LOT of bass players. I have a pretty well informed sensibility when it comes to who's out there. I've seen many of the best in person, and have at least really critically listened to all the greats.

Anthony Jackson rules. I mean, seriously. I'm transcribing Chaka Khan's "All Nights All Right" off Naughty this evening, and my god is AJ good. After hearing everybody a million times over, AJ is the one guy (with the possible exception of Steve Swallow) who I can hear just once a be totally reinspired in the most wide-eyed and giddy way. Everything: his approach, his tone, his exceptional creativity, relentless groove...he is the absolute man.

Who is your AJ?

#1691264 - 08/29/05 10:20 AM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
Catlin Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia ,Canada
Well, it seems like a given, but my inspiration always comes from Jaco, I just feel what he was doing, and absorb it.
Popping in his debut solo album and hearing the classic Portrait of Tracey just blows me away, its not so much the technical abilities its the feeling and perfect sense of time and how to minipulate rhythm to make the listener slip in to his deep music.

Cool thread,-Catlin

#1691265 - 08/29/05 12:44 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oakland, CA
Hi Jonathan,

I can never pick just one - my tastes are too eclectic and my inspirations change from day to day.

I've been fortunate enough to read about most of my real heroes in Bass Player - that recent article on Willie Weeks is a prime example.

However, two guys I haven't noticed yet in BP that have really knocked me out over the years are Victor Krummenacher of Camper Van Beethoven/Cracker and Marc Perlman of The Jayhawks/Golden Smog.

Those guys play with so much creativity, taste and soulfulness that I experience a moment of satori every time I hear them.

#1691266 - 08/31/05 02:48 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
Brian Fox Moderator Offline

Loc: San Bruno, CA
I'm coming down from a huge Paul Jackson kick. That man is fuhn-key.

#1691267 - 08/31/05 03:21 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Richard Bona is the one for me these days. The overall musicality of the man astounds me -- on a variety of instruments. He is totally sick on the bass -- his phrasing, his rhythmic interpretation, his tone, his speed. What gets to me the most, though, is how emotive his playing and his music is.

Peace.
--SW

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#1691268 - 08/31/05 06:31 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
Jonathan Herrera Offline

Yes...Bona is the man. Does anyone know the Bobby McFerrin stuff he did with Omar Hakim? I've been trying to find a recording of it...I heard it once on NPR. It was astounding; he was blowing bebop in a way I hadn't yet heard from him. It was a live thing.

#1691269 - 09/01/05 12:10 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Herrera:
Does anyone know the Bobby McFerrin stuff he did with Omar Hakim? I've been trying to find a recording of it...I heard it once on NPR. It was astounding; he was blowing bebop in a way I hadn't yet heard from him. It was a live thing.
I've heard of this, but not heard it. Nor have I found a recording of it.

I'd love to know if you track it down!

Peace.
--SW

#1691270 - 09/02/05 09:18 AM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
BenLoy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albany, CA USA
Eric Coomes has blown me away many times over. I can't believe more bassists don't know his name.

I've heard a lot of bassists play with Wayne Krantz (including AJ, who is just plain godly, I agree), but Tim Lefebvre (sp?) has an absolute magical approach to playing that type of music. Very deep.

Robert DeLeo with STP rocked so hard and grooves so heavily that it almost brings a tear to my eye.

That's all I can think of now without degenrating into name-dropping. \:D

#1691271 - 09/03/05 11:35 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
Yvon Offline

Loc: Montreal,CANADA
Antony is one of the best player of all time. I like his work with Michel Camilio. Incredebile tone and Incredebile taste.

#1691272 - 10/01/05 07:09 AM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenLoy:
Eric Coomes has blown me away many times over. I can't believe more bassists don't know his name.
Good call. I haven't heard him live. He has played on tracks for Talib Kweli that I have seriously dug. Ben, if you ever intend to catch him in the greater NYC area, please do gimme a holler.

Quote:
Originally posted by BenLoy:
I've heard a lot of bassists play with Wayne Krantz (including AJ, who is just plain godly, I agree), but Tim Lefebvre (sp?) has an absolute magical approach to playing that type of music. Very deep.
I've heard James Genus and AJ with Krantz. Both astounding. I was really impressed with Genus, and hope to catch him in NYC again playing w/ Oz Noy.

I haven't heard Lefebvre (sp?). I'll keep my ears open.

Peace.
--SW

#1691273 - 10/02/05 12:43 PM Re: All Hail Anthony Jackson
TShakazBlackRoots Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Uganda
Yap, my Afro bredren Bona is wicked! However, I'm finding it difficult to choose these days coz literally DAILY, I discover yet another super bassist I'd never heard before. All the above are on my list.
I've decided to just take it all in and try improve my playing and rejoice that the bass has so many gifted players.
Hail dem all!

www.blackrootsunlimited.com

www.facebook.com/nilegoldjazzsafari

Moderator:  Brian Fox