Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1690814 - 04/13/06 10:32 PM MySpace question
AlChuck Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Mateo,CA,UNITED STATES
EditorBoy,

About your suggestion in the May editorial, signing up for a MySpace site...

The "regular" signup doesn't seem to offer any ability to post any files other than pictures... then there's the "Band" signup. So really we should be signing up for a band, even if we're a band like the McKenzie Brothers are a band...

It's fairly easy once you sign up to convert to the "Band" account but once you do you can't go back... so I sent a question to MySpace support just to make sure I wasn't missing something...

It was funny, and a bit creepy, that within an hour or two of opening my MySpace account I already got spam from someone who thought I must be a sweet fellow and would want to meet one of her friends, even though my profile at that point had absolutely nothing in it but my name...

#1690815 - 04/14/06 09:04 AM Re: MySpace question
Pappy P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
That's just the nature of myspace. Don't take it to heart.

I had the same difficultly when I signed up a few months ago.

Keep working on it, you'll get it.

I just can't remember how I finally got it working.

#1690816 - 04/15/06 03:27 PM Re: MySpace question
Editor Boy Moderator Offline

Hi Alchuck!!

I hope all is well with you, and thanks again for all your help on the budget roundup.

I made the same mistake when I first tried myspace -- I launched a "normal" site, rather than a "music" site.

Although there are a lot of myspace tutorials that you can find by googling "myspace," I found the most simple way to post a music site is to use another screen or e-mail name (most e-mail services allow you more than one e-mail address or screen name) to construct the music site. Then, all you'll have to do is be sure you use the "new" name when you want access to your music site.

Yeah...there's no online manual for that sucker, and I was embarrassed that I scotched it the first time!

Good luck.

Best,
Mike

#1690817 - 04/15/06 06:57 PM Re: MySpace question
AlChuck Offline
Platinum Member

Maybe they've added this since you set yours up, but there appears to be a simple way to "convert" the "normal" account to a "music" account... but they say you can't go backwards, so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something about the normal sites...

Hopefully I'll have something fresh to post up there for your consideration within a week... if not I have a couple of finished things that are only a couple of years old...

#1690818 - 04/17/06 02:32 PM Re: MySpace question
mavick Offline

Yeah, I did same thing on myspace about 2 years ago, but I know I have 2 sites on their for Free with some Audio and Videos on both pages, again for Free..............Michael

"The Michael Vick Trip" on MySpace

"VVV aka Michael ATONAL Vick" on MySpace

#1690819 - 04/17/06 09:22 PM Re: MySpace question
Jay Terrien Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Try this to convert your existing non-music MySpace profile to a "band" profile:

;\)

Dear Myspace User,

Thank you for contacting Myspace.com Customer support.

If you have created a personal user page in error and would like to convert to a band page:

1) Click on the following web link,
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=BandProfile.convert

2) Logon as requested with your email address and password in the fields provided.

3) Read the information listed and click the Convert Me button to make the change.

Sincerely,

MySpace.com Customer Support Team

Quote:
Originally posted by AlChuck:
Maybe they've added this since you set yours up, but there appears to be a simple way to "convert" the "normal" account to a "music" account... but they say you can't go backwards, so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something about the normal sites...

Hopefully I'll have something fresh to post up there for your consideration within a week... if not I have a couple of finished things that are only a couple of years old...