Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1689918 - 08/23/05 01:19 PM Replacement Speakers
Art Thompson Moderator Offline

Speakers play such a huge role in how an amp sounds, and I'm curious as to how many of you in the last year have swapped the stock speaker in your combo or cab for a different type. If so, what prompted you to do this?
It's often difficult to audition a speaker before purchase, so what information did you find helpful in selecting a relacement?
Were you immediately satisfied with your choice?
What speaker ultimately worked best for your style and application?

#1689919 - 08/23/05 04:06 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
i just ordered some weber's for my budda stringmaster. originally a 1x12, i had a cabinet built by Sultone that will house 2x10's.

i haven't istalled them yet, so i can't comment on any improvements, but i ordered a ceramic and an alnico ~ the idea being clarity and warmth characteristically associated with those types of individual speakers blended together.

my choice was based on feedback from other players and an article about brad paisley and dr z amps where he did the same.

hoping for the best

#1689920 - 08/23/05 04:32 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
I have an old Fender Studio 85 (65 watt tranny guitar amp) that sounded 'boxy'. I took out the Fender speaker & tried a Celestion G12-65.

It opened up completely - I love it now.

Just a luck shot, I suppose.

Geoff

#1689921 - 08/23/05 11:05 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
Blue Strat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: York County, SC
I've tried three different 15" speakers in my Peavey Delta Blues. They all sound like crap with that amp. I'm guessing that I just don't like that amp's tone. \:\(

Stock Peavey speaker
Weber VST C15CA California (that I now have in a different cab; I use it with a JCM 800 clone and really like the tone)
A vintage Jensen 15" (I don't remember the model number right now)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

#1689922 - 08/23/05 11:51 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
GtrWiz Offline

Loc: LA
I haven't replaced any speakers, but I recently bought a Sewell Texaplex, and chose the speakers for the cab. I talked extensively to Doug(Sewell) about what I wanted tonally. I basically got it down to two imortant factors, 1. I wanted the classic Marshall tone (I was getting a Plexi clone after all), and 2. I wanted some versatility. I also set about asking all my guitar buds. I kept hearing, from people I respect and that I feel have great tone, that Celestion Vintage 30's record really well. So I checked out the Celestion web site and they have a tone selector feature the I found helpful. http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/tone/index.html

I ended up with a 2x12 cab with one Greenback and one Vintage 30, and it's exactly what I wanted. It's great to have the two flavors for recording, and they seem to complement each other live.

#1689923 - 08/29/05 06:35 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
stanner Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: san francisco,,UNITED STATES
i'm forever changing out speakers...
since i got into loud ass instro surf music i have followed the king-DickDale and only play thru JBL D130Fs-so my quest is to find as many of these old speakers that STILL work and sound good and put them in all my 1X15s-2X15s.
btw- i got one of those 1X15 DeltaBlues amps and never got a good sound out of it...
its now in pieces-parts is parts.
s

#1689924 - 08/30/05 01:44 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
Art Thompson Moderator Offline

Thanks for responding to my speaker query. A few of you spoke of using different types of speakers in the same cab, and I was just reminded of how effective this can be while reviewing the new Celestion Heritage G12M and G12H speakers for the October issue. On that topic, are speaker reviews helpful? Should we do more of them in GP?

#1689925 - 08/30/05 03:11 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Thompson:
On that topic, are speaker reviews helpful? Should we do more of them in GP?
Absolutely!

i still refer back to the giant speaker shootout GP did in 1999. one of the best articles in the last 10 years IMHO.

as mentioned earlier, it's hard to get a complete picture of how a speaker will work in your rig, but articles and feedback from other players can get you in the ball park.

#1689926 - 09/04/05 03:56 AM Re: Replacement Speakers
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
A comparative of 15", 12" and 10" speakers (in different months, of course) would be really useful. I appreciate it would be subjective to a certain degree, but most things are.

G.

#1689927 - 09/18/05 03:27 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Quote:
Originally posted by stanner:
btw- i got one of those 1X15 DeltaBlues amps and never got a good sound out of it...
Did you try it with a JBL D-130?

#1689928 - 10/11/05 11:59 AM Re: Replacement Speakers
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Thompson:
"On that topic, are speaker reviews helpful? Should we do more of them in GP?"
Yes, yes, and thrice yes. And, uhmn, by the way, yes.

It would be grand to have a lot more to go by on speakers (and pickups, too, for that matter).

Not so much a "this is good, this is best, this one $uck$", but charactaristics, info to know what to expect, how to select a speaker for a given desired result, that sort of thing. "It's often difficult to audition a speaker before purchase" is an understatement!

I really dug the recent article on all those new models from Eminence, the Patriot and Redcoat lines. Not only for the info specific to those models, but also because the descriptions and comparisons referenced other speakers and generalities, allowing me to infer and enhance what little knowledge I already had on the subject. Know what I mean?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1689929 - 10/11/05 04:41 PM Re: Replacement Speakers
Darklava Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Flint,Mi
Quote:
Originally posted by Funk Jazz:
i just ordered some weber's for my budda stringmaster. originally a 1x12, i had a cabinet built by Sultone that will house 2x10's.

i haven't istalled them yet, so i can't comment on any improvements, but i ordered a ceramic and an alnico ~ the idea being clarity and warmth characteristically associated with those types of individual speakers blended together.

my choice was based on feedback from other players and an article about brad paisley and dr z amps where he did the same.

hoping for the best
I'm thinking weber for my vibrolux, Alnico sig
but maybe I should wait and see how the alnico
and ceramic turns out.He sure does have good
prices maybe I'll replace both,I don't know about these jensens can't figure why one of the speakers has blown.I've never blown a speaker in my life.