Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can we have a “Reviews” forum in the Keyboard Mag section? #1689733 09/27/05 12:25 PM
R
RABid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
R
While reading some other threads I started thinking that it would be nice if we had a place to post our own reviews. This is not an indication of dissatisfaction with the reviews in Keyboard Magazine, but rather a desire for access to more opinions as well as an organized outlet to express our own feelings. There are quite a few members here with long term professional or semi-professional experience and I value their opinions. It would also be nice to see opinions of fresh minds with new perspectives.

There are a few guidelines that would make it work within the current structure of the forum. One thread per instrument would be a must, with the manufacturer and instrument name as the title of the thread. They need to be complete, concise reviews. No “This thing sux” type reviews. Tell what you do not like and what you do like. I find the Pro’s and Con’s section of the Keyboard Mag reviews to be very valuable and easy to quickly understand. Each thread could also have a poll with 1 to 5 stars, but it needs to be set so that you don’t have to vote to see the results. And someone would need to moderate to keep it to one thread per instrument, and to keep the threads focused on reviews. Keep a lock down on spam or comments not related to reviews.

Oh, last of all, these reviews would not be restricted to new instruments. We get a lot of questions on the forum about older keyboards. Someone on a limited budget is always considering an XP-30, P-90 or K2000.

Robert

Re: Can we have a “Reviews” forum in the Keyboard Mag section? #1689734 09/27/05 01:04 PM
Ernie Rideout Offline
Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I think it's a great idea. Let me talk to Steve Fortner and Ken Hughes and we'll put a plan together.

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen
Gee, that was quick.
Re: Can we have a “Reviews” forum in the Keyboard Mag section? #1689735 09/27/05 03:28 PM
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
I think this is a good idea. One thing it could accomplish is long-term reviews, something it's hard to do in the print format. (Car mags do it, actually). Someone could give their out-of-the-box impressions, then revisit them when they've been making music with the product for one month, three, six, etc.

It also gives a welcome counterpoint to our own voices. Careful moderation would really be necessary, but if there's any forum on the whole internet on which this could work, it'd be this one.

"I'm just a confused musician who got sidetracked into this damned word business..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Music Player Network
Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine
Content Creator and Behind-the-Scenes Writing Wonk, Damned Near Everyone
Re: Can we have a “Reviews” forum in the Keyboard Mag section? #1689736 10/16/05 09:44 AM
BrianK Offline
Excellent idea, it opens a review up to different viewpoints - always hard with one guy in a print review.

Relax and float downstream...
Re: Can we have a “Reviews” forum in the Keyboard Mag section? #1689737 10/20/05 02:32 PM
DafDuc Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
H-C has an 8-year head start on us...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:
"Tower of Polka."
- Calumet