Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine Electronic Musician
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2181602 - 04/15/10 03:34 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: Jeff Klopmeyer]
scafeets Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I feel your pain (back & mental)
My cover band spans the age range from 22 to 60. Our front people ( 23 Y.O.female lead singer, and male lead singer - an in-shape 35) are the reason us back line of Geezers can play college gigs. Otherwise, it would just be weddings and corporates (which we like for the $$ and early load out). Bands stuck in the 80s around here get to play the MILF and Biker clubs for chump change. We play about 20 recent hits (from last 2 years) and mix it in with pre-1980 classic rock and a set of stuff from the 90s and early 00s. I thnk we do one 80s tune.
I'm the 60 Y.O. Geezer (who listens to more new music than anyone else)and stay in the back until a solo comes along. I try to convey a stately Gilmouresqe personna since windmills and splits could be injurious to mind and body.

#2205132 - 06/25/10 12:40 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: Jeff Klopmeyer]
hammondb_3 Offline

Loc: alabama
Originally Posted By: Jeff Klopmeyer
I started this thread three years ago, and I've since turned 40. I've decided that any place that doesn't want a guy my age playing doesn't deserve me. grin

Right on, brother! smile (I've got 41 staring me down from a couple of months away!)

#2218508 - 08/06/10 10:27 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: picker]
cristiano53 Offline

Loc: West Texas
I read an interview several years ago with Stéphane Grappelli (violin player of Django Reinhardt/Le Hot Club of France fame). The girl doing the interview didn't know anything about Stephane so the questions really sucked. But she did ask one good one. When she asked him about his age (82 at the time) and why was he still touring, he replied to the effect that he gave up celebrating birthdays when he was young because they put you in a category that you have no way of fighting, i.e. since she viewed him as an old man, she was amazed that he could do what he was doing. He said he loved playing more at the age he was at than ever before, and even though he didn't play as fast as he used to, he still played better than ever. But, if he bought into the fallacy that at 82, it was amazing that he even played, much less toured. He loved learning, playing better and he knew buying into other peoples restrictions was fatal. I began subscribing to his philosophy that day and it has helped my playing and my attitude incredibly. I am still aggressively pursuing music at 57 and won't stop until I can't physically do it anymore and the muse is dead. I think, as each year goes by, the field of music loses more preconcieved notions. They are still there, obviously, but it seems to get "better all the time..."

#2220255 - 08/13/10 07:30 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: cristiano53]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I am also 57, and I agree completely. I am still learning - primarily a guitarist, but taking flute and mandolin lessons from knowledgeable musicians, and a lot of what I'm learning is applicable to guitar, too.

I find it strange to deal with musicians that I used to play with 15 years ago, and younger than me, who seem to be stuck in a time warp. They just want to do everything the same way we did it then - not that I'm out to reinvent the wheel on everything, but when IMPROVISING I sure don't see any logic in repeating what I did 15 years ago. But we don't play together often so it's not a major issue.

But definitely I plan to continue learning and growing, and if other people don't understand it, it's THEIR problem!

#2223444 - 08/24/10 12:33 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: Eric Iverson]
tjfbass Offline

Loc: Norfolk CT USA
I am 59i have not been amember of a(real)band for 4yrs but have done many gigs most people ihave played with are younger no one has said anything to me iam at a place in my life were music rules my life i do belive iget calls because they want what i do as i amwriting this i just got booked to play at a street fair i have been playing for 40yrs in the past people have called old but i rocked them all night but does it really mater im going to play til they close the lid on me

#2226370 - 09/02/10 06:54 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: tjfbass]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
65, playing all I can. The age thing really seems to be a problem for young people. When you think about it, an "old" musician is just an experienced player with some wrinkles and less hair. You're still the same on the inside.

The good thing is that you'd be surprised by the girls who are really attracted to that bad boy father image cool dad they never had. Sure, it's not as many as the younger guys draw, but there are a lot of them out there anyway.

#2226563 - 09/03/10 11:05 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: theGman]
jay da cop Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sudbury, Ontario
What is wrong with playing to MILFs anyway! I was single not that long ago, and it would have been kinda nice to have someone a bit closer to my age take an interest. That is not the case anymore, and my new love really loves hearing me play, whether I am practicing, recording, or on stage. Kinda nice.

#2226587 - 09/03/10 12:27 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: jay da cop]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
57, playing as well or better than ever, getting ready to hit the road with a hot blues rock band, and loving every minute of it. Age is more than a state of mind for sure, but it doesn't have to be the death sentence for your dreams, either.

#2226973 - 09/04/10 05:51 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: picker]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
I think there was a thread on this about 6 months or more ago (old age, can't recall) and I mentioned that, when you get older/just plain old,...* as long as your body hasn't really started to fall apart*.....you really are the same person just with some wrinkles, etc....sort of like a used car. You can still do the same stuff, just better. I buy lighter equipment now when possible, but that's the only real difference.
It does sound like a load, I never really believed it when old guys told me that years ago,I thought it was a cop out, but age is really in large part a state of mind. Trust me on this one.

#2267646 - 01/28/11 05:28 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: picker]
bobsessed Offline

Loc: Georgia,USA
I'm looking to Black Country Communion these days, to get me past the fear of gigging. At 53, I've had more than my share of bad health, and music is the one thing that keeps me going. Glenn Hughes, (the old fart), rockin' his butt off out there with young Joe Bonamassa.....what an inspiration!

#2269133 - 01/31/11 11:38 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: bobsessed]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Let's talk about crowd age relative to band age and song selection. I play all 80s and a couple years ago, 85% of our crowd were hot young chicks 21-28 who wanted to dance. I think the popularity of what we do has declined in that age group and our crowd has aged. So I have a multi-fascited question (even though I can't spell it): does the crowd affect your performance, and/or what you play? Do you cater to your fans? Are you in a similar age group as your fans? Do they know?

Sorry, I'm just rambling now...old guys can turn on young gals- I know this to be a fact! But I think what's maybe most useful is the fact that the kids love older music!

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2274689 - 02/17/11 06:37 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: J. Dan]
jay da cop Offline
Gold Member

I saw Heart in concert this past Monday. I gotta tell you, considering Ann is 61 and Nancy is now 57, they ROCKED the joint!! Ann sings as good as ever, effortless... Nancy is still smokin' hot on guitar (and not too bad on the eyes). Most of the crowd was my age (now 49) but there was a surprising number of 20's and 30's there. My youngest daughter, who is 20, and a singer/songwriter, is one of Pat Benetar's biggest fans!

So, to bring this back around to 80s-LZ's question - I don't think that the crowd affects WHAT I play, or HOW I play it. Your band is who they are, and the ones that are into your style of music will come see you, a few will stumble onto you, and others will disregard you. That is life. I heard a thing a few years ago that the single biggest demographic buying Steve Miller's recently released greatest hits CD was teens/20's. And this group was actually surprised when us old farts knew all the words! So, I do not think age has anything to do with skill, presence, or ability to draw crowds. I think the biggest factor I have noticed is the crowd's perception. Of course, if you have established yourselves, then they know what to expect. You rock or you suck. People know. Ok, to be fair, some don't, but we should still try to be our best. As far as catering to your fans, to some extent I think we do, for the most part. We want them to continue coming out, so I think we should consider them, keeping in mind the style we have chosen. But that can be a two-edged sword too. There are some songs that are wildly popular that may be a little outside for us but send the crown into a frenzy. It is a balancing act in the end I guess.

Ok, now I am rambling. I have been away too long.

Jay

#2275009 - 02/17/11 08:47 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: J. Dan]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: 80s-LZ
Let's talk about crowd age relative to band age and song selection. I play all 80s and a couple years ago, 85% of our crowd were hot young chicks 21-28 who wanted to dance. I think the popularity of what we do has declined in that age group and our crowd has aged. So I have a multi-fascited question (even though I can't spell it): does the crowd affect your performance, and/or what you play? Do you cater to your fans? Are you in a similar age group as your fans? Do they know?

Sorry, I'm just rambling now...old guys can turn on young gals- I know this to be a fact! But I think what's maybe most useful is the fact that the kids love older music!

Probably the more useful fact is knowing the music your target audience listened to as teens.

Another cover band coming together (wearing every hat in this one but the drums), and we're focusing on late 80's through late 90's, because, well, the drinking crowd in this neck is 30-somethings, and that's the music they were listening to when they were in their teens (scary....).

The twenty-somethings in this town, well, there aren't any except when college is in session....

#2275067 - 02/18/11 06:06 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: Griffinator]
jay da cop Offline
Gold Member

how far is it to a decent sized town with a more active music scene? Just asking...

Jay

#2275216 - 02/18/11 05:28 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: jay da cop]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Me? 60 miles to Charlottesville, but they have extremely narrow tastes up there, and highly fickle at that.

100 miles to Richmond - someplace we plan on hitting hard once we get this show rolling, which is why we are not restricting our set choices to just 90's-era music. Quite the contrary, we're basing most of our choices on the one-hit-wonder concept - songs everyone remembers, though they may not remember the band or anything else the band did. That gives us a lot of different options.

For some bizarre reason, North Carolina just LOVES export bands from Virginia, so we definitely plan on tapping that resource as well, playing in Raleigh (might just have to ring up the Gasman to come sit in with us there so I don't look like a complete chode on the keys...), Charlotte, and Greensboro.

#2275283 - 02/19/11 05:44 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: Griffinator]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
Originally Posted By: Griffinator
Me? 60 miles to Charlottesville, but they have extremely narrow tastes up there, and highly fickle at that.

+1

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2353269 - 11/01/11 07:09 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: Bottom End]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
My current band has an age range from 27 to 59 (me). We play newer country with a bit of classic rock and finish the night with some 80's rock. It is a strange combo, but it works. Country isn't as age conscious as rock music. When we try to book new places, I ask the young guy to contact them. My usual comment is "I don't want them to think we are a bunch of geezers." Our crowds have everything from 20 somethings to 50's. I have gone from the guy that girls hit on to the guy that girls say "My Mom used to watch you all the time."

#2427818 - 07/25/12 10:58 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: BEMcCut]
Ouizel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Memphis,TN, USA
I'm 43, and I'm the kid in the group. Of course, we're playing acoustic 'unplugged' style music, so it works.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#2429120 - 07/31/12 12:26 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: Ouizel]
opdigits Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
My experience is that bands or performers of all ages who put music first are the ones that are both happier and more successful. I think this one element is what will, and has in my experience, excluded ageism from being a factor in most all situations.

In all of the bands I've been in over the decades (I'm 54 now, and playing out pro since I was 17) the ones that worked, both musically and gig-wise, were the ones wherein everyone in the band understood that if you play for yourselves first and foremost, thereby providing the highest level of music possible, the audience will not be able to help but appreciate that fact, no matter what age differences there may be.

Other factors may come into play that when combined with ageism may seem to point to that as being the single factor that caused any discrepancies, but my experience has shown me that that is usually not the case. Rather, it was the other factor(s) that caused the issue.

There are exceptions of course as one previous poster pointed out, but I believe, and have experienced, that these are most definitely exceptions rather than the rule.

So, I agree with the poster who said that playing with authority overcomes. Authority combined with chops and sophistication will win 'em over every time.

#2435731 - 09/02/12 09:22 AM Re: Aging band members [Re: opdigits]
nsureit Offline

Loc: Texas
Our band played our monthly Jam Session last Thursday night. We range from ages 39 to 62. It is held at a local pub with a large stage area and dance floor. There were about 100 folks listening to us. We play 60s-70s rock 'n roll, and the locals apparently love to hear us play each month. I'm 57, and played professionally during the 70s, but got into business in 1980 to feed the family. Now that the kiddos are grown, I can be a kid again!

Edited by nsureit (09/02/12 09:24 AM)

#2461645 - 01/09/13 12:32 PM Re: Aging band members [Re: picker]
Ekewaka Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Norcal
The more complex music, the less anyone worries about your age, rather your chops.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer