Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine Electronic Musician
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1688041 - 08/03/05 04:35 PM What role do you play in your band?
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
What role do you play in your band? And I don't want a "I play guitar / keys / drums ..." answer, I mean besides the musical aspect. Do you manage the bookkeeping, book gigs, maintain the setlists etc?

I am apparently the band's secretary. I have to see when everyone can make it to a rehearsal, when someone will be absent, when to cancel or reschedule a rehearsal and so on. Also I tell everyone which songs to prepare for the next rehearsal (songs are picked by the entire band, I just grab 'em from the list).

Anyone wanna play?

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#1688042 - 08/03/05 07:10 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
I am the sex symbol. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I am only a keyboardist/bassist in other people's bands.

My musical gear Blog

#1688043 - 08/03/05 07:52 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
In bands I have been a member of, I have usually been the "quality control" guy. The schmuck who screws up his face and says "no, that's not right, let's do it again".
In other bands where i am a hired gun, I am the guitarist/bassist who will answer if asked what's wrong.
And, I have been grunt labor in every situation.

#1688044 - 08/03/05 11:01 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
ChrisOfDoom Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seattle
I am involved with 2 bands. In the first one, Hobo Libido, I manage, promote, and book shows, and play bass. My guitar player writes the songs, and my drummer shows up to practice(sometimes) and collects gig money.

My second band, War Against Terror, I have been playing with them for a month. I play the bassline they tell me too. They want me to write a song. I am OK with that.

Hobo Libido on MySpace
Bipolar Express on MySpace

#1688045 - 08/03/05 11:08 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
MidLifeCrisis® Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tampa, Fl
I am the project manager. I put all of the bands tasks into a master plan with dates due, status, and who has to do it. This helps us to share various activities which are needed to keep the band going. We all take turns booking, picking up misc items, purchasing/ripping mp3s, putting together charts, etc.

I also am the web admin. I built the web site and keep it updated. I also maintain a private band section of the site which we use to share files and documents.

Other than than I play keys and guitar... \:D

#1688046 - 08/04/05 08:58 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
Jeff Klopmeyer Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
I am the mediator in my band. Everyone comes to me to bad mouth the others. So I have to be understanding to their complaints and yet defend the person being ripped on.

I also built the web site, coached my ex-bassist on how to play his instrument, and wore other hats than guitarist and backing vox (wouldn't it be easy if y'all could just play???).

\:\)

- Jeff

#1688047 - 08/04/05 09:31 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
MidLifeCrisis® Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tampa, Fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:
I am the mediator in my band. Everyone comes to me to bad mouth the others. So I have to be understanding to their complaints and yet defend the person being ripped on.
We must have similar personality types or we both are suckers. \:D

I find myself in that role all the time. I get called on how to tell the singer he is flat on a certain song. Get called on how to tell the drummer his riffs are throwing off the guitar players rhythm.

Some school should offer a PHD on dealing with musicians egos and their associated problems...

#1688048 - 08/04/05 09:41 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
Jeff Klopmeyer Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Redondo Beach,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:
Some school should offer a PHD on dealing with musicians egos and their associated problems...
Amen! It's a whole unique branch of psychiatry!

- Jeff

#1688049 - 08/09/05 04:28 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
SpookyKid Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
I am the manager, the secretary, the web master, the treasurer and the bass player. Oh yeah, and I am also the Bitch. \:\) But I do share responsibilties with the singer. He books the gigs, schedules rehearsals, writes the music and runs rehearsals.

Something is telling me he is not doing enough. \:\)

http://www.spookhouse.tv

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Paul_Martini

#1688050 - 08/11/05 12:53 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
ATM Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: SW Florida (originally from No...
I'm the bass player, studio tech, webmaster, music theorist, and guy with steady day job.

ATM

#1688051 - 08/11/05 08:48 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
jay da cop Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sudbury, Ontario
I am the token theory guy, the go-to guy with "ALL OF THE ANSWERS TO ALL THINGS MUSICAL", the keyboard player, the drum tutor, the harmony arranger, the sound system de-bugger, the "golden ear" (which is pretty difficult from my position on stage, using monitors), the tech-head, and all around good guy. (I think I need a raise - he-he.)

Jay
"Just the Band"
Dynamic Contemporary Worship

#1688052 - 08/11/05 10:00 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:
Quote:
Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:
Amen! It's a whole unique branch of psychiatry!

- Jeff
Nah. In the words of Elwood Blues, "Musicians respond to fear and the promise of lucre." You just promise to pay them` and then scare the wah-hooties out of 'em. They will be like putty in your hands...

#1688053 - 08/24/05 02:39 AM Re: What role do you play in your band?
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by picker:
In bands I have been a member of, I have usually been the "quality control" guy. The schmuck who screws up his face and says "no, that's not right, let's do it again".
And, I have been grunt labor in every situation.
Ditto.

I am also the "musicans, bands, and equipment trivial information guy" \:D

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#1688054 - 08/24/05 10:54 PM Re: What role do you play in your band?
ChrisOfDoom Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seattle
I now wish to add "babysitter" to my previous list. Not so much an actual baby, but my drummer requires a lot of attention to keep him functioning properly. I tell him about when i scheduled practice next week, I remind him 2 days before, I remind him the day of. Frustrating but we already kicked him out of the band and we couldn't find a replacement so hes back.

He told me he was going to take a nap before practice tonight. I am now going to call him to make sure he is awake.

Hobo Libido on MySpace
Bipolar Express on MySpace

#1774344 - 06/30/07 01:34 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: ChrisOfDoom]
Bassmasta89 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
well the drummer he organizes, debates, and negotiates... I just play bass

White Summer's Site:
http://www.whitesummertheband.com

#1776334 - 07/03/07 11:11 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Bassmasta89]
Scott W Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
I'm the one that makes sure everyone shows up.

#1777580 - 07/06/07 11:23 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Scott W]
jay da cop Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sudbury, Ontario
Scott, that could be a challenge unless you actually go and pick them up. And that, my friend, would suck hard.

Jay

#1778896 - 07/09/07 04:28 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: jay da cop]
mcbn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Houston, TX / Rotterdam, NL
Other than playing bass....

I run the practices. I set up the practice space, run sound and determine the schedule/agenda (old material 30 mins, new material 1 hr, pyrotechnics 15 minutes, etc).

Second, I'm the gear head. If something is broken or making funny noises, I fix it.

I also book gigs and handle money on a small percentage of the gigs.

#1788284 - 07/28/07 07:47 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: mcbn]
Kramer Ferrington III. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wellington, NZ
Like Picker, I tend to be the quality control guy who stops a song rehearsal and says "let's try that again!". I'm also a bit of an ideas guy, suggesting different arrangements, etc. I'm also trying to record our demo. The guitarist organizes gigs and writes lyrics, and we rehearse at the drummer's house.

My snazzy t-shirt empire

#1797436 - 08/18/07 08:03 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Kramer Ferrington III.]
SpaceNorman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
I provide 90% of the gig PA and all the lights - as well as transportation for the same. This of course means that I'm one of the "heavy lifters" in terms of set-up, tear down and for storage - as well as taking care of most of whatever maintenance is required.

I'm also the group's "administration" guy (run the web site, write whatever printed promo materials we use, print/assemble the promo packages, etc.) I'm the band's POC for agents, etc. - and handle any "paid by check" gigs (i.e., payments flow through me and I in turn take care of creating the 1099s for everybody else).

Although we're very much "band by committee" - I'm definitely a strong voice when it comes to strategy in terms of general band direction - as well as gig logistics.

I happily avoid getting very involved in the "art" decisions - i.e., selecting material, tune formats and/or vocal arrangements, set lists for the gigs, etc. (About the only time I weigh in on the "art" decisions is to offer an opinion when I don't think that a proposed tune "fits" our playlist). (Our guitar player and sax player are both far better in this department than I am...so I'm happy to follow their lead in this area.

Our guitar player contributes the balance of the PA, organizes rehearsals, creates the set lists for our gigs, drives most of the arranging - and did all the post production editing on our video demos.

Everybody else is great about pitching in as needed.

#1803167 - 08/31/07 09:26 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: SpaceNorman]
blueross Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Guitar and vocals, producer, engineer, mixer, manager, project manager, webmaster, logistics, provider of gear and cables, mediator, herder of cats. Basically, everything but playing drums or bass. I hate booking gigs, but I do that, too. Trying to prod (may have to resort to electroshock) others into getting out and selling gigs.

Still, I love it, but have to commiserate with Jeff and MidLifeCrisis.

#2360953 - 11/26/11 08:36 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: blueross]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I play bass, keys, harmonica and sing lead and backing vocals. I did our facebook page and Reverb Nation page. Usually I make the set lists with imput from the other members. On the smaller jobs I also run sound. One guitar player and the drummer handle the booking. We use a combo of my PA and the guitar players. The drummer has the lights. The lead guitarist comes late and plays, pretends to help tear down and carry. It works because we want this to be fun, without drama.

#2360964 - 11/26/11 09:11 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: BEMcCut]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
I have, by default, become the musical director, which has been an immediate change for the better in the pace at which we are moving.

BL position? Well, if it's defined by who books the gigs, then it's by committee, because everyone is digging for bookings.

#2362549 - 12/01/11 04:41 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Griffinator]
Beat Poet Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
In the band before my last one, aside from being the drummer, I was:

1) Like someone mentioned above, the quality-control guy. I got us to diligently practise with a click and flagged any problems with our timing. I told them their lyrics sucked as well, but they refused to change them.

2) The "booking agent". I booked two-thirds of our gigs (mostly out of town), because the rest of the band weren't interested in travelling anywhere. I also had to do all the cancelling.

3) The press/PR/plugger guy. I got us all our write ups and radio play by firing off CDs and ringing people up.

4) The "road manager". I was left to sort out all the equipment for gigs, plus how we would get there and when.

It was a relief when I finally quit that band!

Edited by Beat Poet (12/01/11 04:42 AM)

#2460590 - 01/05/13 10:07 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Beat Poet]
robare99 Offline

Loc: Canada
I play guitar, sing backups and the odd lead.

I'm the sound/light guy. Everything except personal instruments/personal amps is mine. That way there's no question whose mic is whose, whose cord is whose. I also run sound and lights from the stage.

I have no interest in schmoozing gigs, making sure we get paid etc etc. I like loading in, with the bands help, setting up, tearing down and going home.

We have schmoozers in the band, it's just not my thing.

#2461644 - 01/09/13 12:31 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: robare99]
Ekewaka Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Norcal
I'm the one people call up if they have a sudden problem with a band member not being able to do the gig. Which is fine, I like challenges and don't like most cover band projects so I stay away from the politics and music selections.

#2462813 - 01/14/13 04:52 PM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Ekewaka]
Beat Poet Offline

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
I'm the drummer and I prepare all the backing tracks.

#2477538 - 03/14/13 09:12 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Beat Poet]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
In most bands I have functioned as "tasteful sideman", not craving the power of being a 'band leader'. However, I definitely made sure to have musical input, and helped a lot of with songwriting and arranging.

#2489006 - 04/29/13 08:42 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Jason Stanfield Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Madison, MS
In addition to playing, I do our website, Facebook, and all our gig posters & flyers.

#2489952 - 05/02/13 07:00 AM Re: What role do you play in your band? [Re: Jason Stanfield]
gastonpelufo Offline

If your piano or keyboard player cant attend your gig, give me a call. I am always ready to improvise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jeff Klopmeyer