Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1684372 - 07/26/06 01:01 AM In-Ear personal monitors
samuelson Offline

Loc: Fullerton, California
Does anyone have any thoughts on in ear, personal monitoring systems such as the PSM 600 or PSM 400? Would I be able to adjust the other instruments and my voice separately, or how does that work? We have a band and like all bands, the singing is too low at practice to where when we turn it up, we have feedback issues. I saw Jimmy Buffett had no amps or any equipment on stage, and everyone had ear monitors and microphones like operators use. Iím looking for direction on how to get to that. So that means I start at the Gear Page forum.

#1684373 - 07/26/06 06:59 AM Re: In-Ear personal monitors
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OKay, a few things to know., First, they are dangerous in the hands of inexperienced people. Second, do NOT run with only one ear... that is a good way to loose hearing in that ear. Third, they isolate you from the real world, so you will have no idea of what is really going on around you. It is really disconcerting and can be pretty fucked up. Fourth, in my opinion, if you think that you need in ear monitors at rehersal, you are rehearsing too damned loud.

Fifth, they are really cool, and a great way to keep control of things if you are a traveling band playing on unfamiliar stages with unknown PA systems. On the face of it, it can be expensive to set up a traveling rack to handle your in ears, but if you do, you'll always hear the same thing in your monitors all the time, and your shows can get a lot better and tighter and you'll sound better because you can dial in your mix.

But you may face all sorts of expenses related to this, depending upon what type of venues you play. In other words, if the system at Joes Bar has one monitor mix, and you need five, then you have to split all the mics and go to your own monitor mixer to get your mixes. So now you need a mic splitter and a monitor console.

For the average club band it is a long way to go and a rather large expense just to avoid learning how to control your individual playing volumes. But it has a place in the grand scheme of things.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2382026 - 02/02/12 10:45 AM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
Sub1ime14 Offline

Bill,

That was a considerably well phrased and dead-on response. In-ears are something really meant to come after you pickup a good sound tech. And most bands, after picking up that good sound tech, will find that their monitor mixes tend to get much better, and they no longer feel as much need for those in-ears.

I realize this is an old topic, but for those reading, you could start to solve the feedback issue by properly EQing your front-of-house and/or monitor mixes. Pulling down 2k and possibly a little above and below often is a great place to start.

#2389424 - 02/24/12 02:53 AM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
diablero Offline

Loc: Croatia
Originally Posted By: Bill@Welcome Home Studios
OKay, a few things to know.,

But you may face all sorts of expenses related to this, depending upon what type of venues you play. In other words, if the system at Joes Bar has one monitor mix, and you need five, then you have to split all the mics and go to your own monitor mixer to get your mixes. So now you need a mic splitter and a monitor console.

Totally agree with you Bill. I just want to share my experience. I have very positive experience with JamHub, check it on www.jamhub.com

It is great for rehearsals, and it could maybe work for live performance, but with wireless monitor system. This is really low budget solution, and you don't need to use expensive in-ear plugs, Seenheiser Cx300 or UE200 work just fine, or any other plugs as long they isolate you from outside noise.

We are death metal band, play on high gain tube amps, have loud drummer (2 basses, 6 toms, 2 snares, 14 cymbals) and had problem hearing each other. Isolating rehearsal room and wearing earplugs just isn't enough for that type of loud music. It is very noisy, fast and technical music, so naturally we wanted to actually hear every note, every mistake we make in order to sound tighter.

Since we play with jamhub things totally changed for us. We play better, arranging new song is much easier and faster, overall communication between us is better, it is easy to get a good rehearsals recording.

Now next step is to buy some decent wireless system to try it on shows. I like the fact that we control our own mixes, because most of the clubs have crappy equipment or lousy tone guy (or both smile

Man, when I read what I just wrote, it sounds like advertising for jamhub :))
Belive me it is not, we are just semi-pro metalheads fighting for our space on metalscene. Check out my band at www.myspace.com/aviculariaband

#2395614 - 03/15/12 02:35 PM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: diablero]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
I've been looking into something like this for church. We play on a small stage and it's hard to hear my bass standing in front of the wedge. I think it would help to have it be further away from me, but that's not an option with the stage. (It would also help to have the drummer play an electronic kit, but that's another story).

The JamHub mentioned above looks interesting. The Posse system (Posse Audio) also seems pretty cool, especially with the ambient mics helping with the isolation issue and the simple XLR connections. I'm sure there's a downside to it, other than the price ($500 each), I just don't know what it is yet.

#2395692 - 03/15/12 09:47 PM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Russkull]
nickbryan Offline

Loc: Pullman
It is the best one for rehearsals and can used at all places!!

Edited by Jim Quinn (03/15/12 10:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed signature spam and banned member.

#2395694 - 03/15/12 10:06 PM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: nickbryan]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Bye Bye Nick.

#2397268 - 03/21/12 11:28 AM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Wait... what just happened there?

#2397282 - 03/21/12 12:14 PM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Russkull]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Russkull

We're f***in' ninjas, that's what. grin

Seriously, did you happen to notice that his comment made no sense?

This is the new breed of bot spammer. Initial posting is a random combination of words found elsewhere on the forum, and it is then edited after the fact to add spam link for completely unrelated site.

But it does look totally cool - post, 19 minutes later my post (I had already edited out one spam link), 20 minutes later Jim edit + ban.

#2397369 - 03/21/12 03:34 PM Re: In-Ear personal monitors [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Griffinator
Originally Posted By: Russkull

We're f***in' ninjas, that's what. grin

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair