Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1683666 - 08/09/05 03:02 AM Need help getting started!
Tim Sand Offline

Loc: Idaho
I am just getting started producing music digitally with the intention of using the internet to transfer large audio files between myself and fellow musicians. What is the best was to transfer 100Mb+ files? I am also open to any advice regarding the internet as a "global studio". Thanks.

#1683667 - 08/09/05 01:35 PM Re: Need help getting started!
tripit Offline

Loc: LA, CA. USA
Oh....that's big topic to cover. It really depends on what it is you are wanting to do. Their are several services that allow for basic audio transfering. Digidesign has a studio transfer service, so did logic at one point - don't know if they still do. You have to sign up and pay for bandwidth etc. There are a few new sites up and running designed for large file transfering.

Of course you can just do it via your own server and FTPing.
The internet as a global studio is mostly limited by your bandwidth. If you have access to big pipes (T1 line) you can do more.
Transfering large files on your average DSL/Cable Modem at high speed is still very time consuming. It can be done, but even loading a large session on a DVD and sending express mail would be probably be faster and cheaper. Not to mention it won't tie down your computer for long periods of time. If I have only a few files to send, I'll upload them to my site for downloading. If I have a big session, I'll send it on a CD-R or DVD-R.

#1683668 - 08/10/05 09:53 AM Re: Need help getting started!
tim nelson Offline

Loc: BRF, WI
yousendit.com gives you a Gig for free i guesse but I havn't used it so no idea how good or secure it is.dropload.com gives a 100MB but again I havn't needed their services yet otherwise if can open a yahoo chat between you and the person you intend to send the file to you can piggy back the yahoo chat with a file upload.

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair