Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1683282 - 07/24/05 04:54 PM Enhancing a low singing voice . . .
shniggens Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Denvoid, CO
What would you add or tweak on a vocal track containing a rather dull, deep voice?

It sounds pretty muddy in the mix.

#1683283 - 07/24/05 06:48 PM Re: Enhancing a low singing voice . . .
HiRoller Offline

Loc: Portland, OR USA
Try cutting ~200Hz and boosting 5KHz or higher. Could be other things causing the problem too, like bass, guitar, drums, pretty much anything. Compression will bring the vocals forward and reverb will move them back, relative to the other instruments in the mix.

#1683284 - 07/24/05 09:30 PM Re: Enhancing a low singing voice . . .
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
Is it possible to recut the vocals? I've always been a believer in GIGO(garbage in garbage out). If it's possible the best solution is to recut them properly.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#1683285 - 07/25/05 02:09 PM Re: Enhancing a low singing voice . . .
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm with HiRoller on this; there's probably some frequency masking going on. Barry White has a deep (but not dull) voice that comes across fine in recordings. The other instruments have to leave enough sonic space for the vocals, no matter what register they're in.

OTOH, I'm with where. \:\) It could be that dull & deep just won't cut it on this cut. Improving dull to vibrant will probably help, but if there's frequency masking it's going to be hard to work with deep no matter what. Any objections to using a different singer that is more vibrant and less deep?

#1683286 - 07/25/05 02:38 PM Re: Enhancing a low singing voice . . .
shniggens Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Denvoid, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by RicBassGuy:
. Any objections to using a different singer that is more vibrant and less deep?
Well, I'm still working on that. ;\)