Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1683230 - 07/20/05 08:24 AM Help me get two tracks on screen (Audacity)
LiveMusic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Louisiana
EDIT: Never mind, I guess I am going to need to find someone to help me onsite. Just basic operation. I can't even figure out how to drag a track back one second backwards (tutorial). I finally figured out which tool to use (I think the tutorial is wrong) but how do I drag it back long enough? How do I gauge 1 second? Basics such as that... no experience with multi-track software.
/EDIT

Sorry, it's basic but I come here as a last resort. I tried to figure it out with Audacity tutorial but that made it more confusing.

I created 2 tracks on Fostex mr-8 recorder. Got Audacity. Tried to open the two tracks but could see only how to open ONE. I opened the guitar track. Finally figured out how to get the other track (vocal) on screen -- Import Audio. So, now both tracks on screen. But, say I want to increase the vocal volume... I can't see how to do that.
I can mix on my Fostex. Final step after recording all tracks is to bounce to Trks 7/8 and then create a Stereo WAV file and that's what I burn a CD from. Except, everybody says "Heck, mix it with software, you can do more." Except I don't know how. Short of hiring an engineer to teach me. I will go through the tutorials. But this first step is getting me.

So, after I get two tracks on Fostex recorded, I upload via USB to my computer. Then fire up Audacity. How do I get those two tracks on screen at same time? The Audacity tutorial... you work with files they provide but when you download "tracks1and2.ogg" it's ONE download. So, it's NOT two files like I have when I import the TWO tracks (files) from my Fostex.

Heck, I'm confused.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

#1683231 - 07/20/05 02:27 PM Re: Help me get two tracks on screen (Audacity)
Christopher Robin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by LiveMusic:
Finally figured out how to get the other track (vocal) on screen -- Import Audio. So, now both tracks on screen. But, say I want to increase the vocal volume... I can't see how to do that.
The top slider on the far left side just below the solo/mute buttons is for gain. The one below that is for pan.

Yes, Import Audio will get you additional material into new tracks.

Other tips: click on the arrow next to the track name to access a few nifty track functions.

The timeline below the toolbars is in seconds. When it goes over 1 minute, you'll see it displayed in a min:sec format.

Along the bottom edge of the window is a readout that shows you the length of the current "selection" - under the menu View->Set Selection Format... you can select several values for this display. This is very useful if, for instance, you are replacing a portion of an audio file & want to be sure that the part you insert is exactly as long as the part you've removed.

Play with it. Audacity is a very cool, full-featured program. Use copies of files that you can mangle freely & just have at it.