Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1683153 - 07/15/05 07:16 PM dual core
Chris Carter Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
While I've cranked out a few nationally charting singles on my old machine, it is finally time to throw out the old dinosaur!! I'm not up on the latest computer developments, but I do have a question that I know people here will have the answer to: Dual-Core

Basically all I know is that dual-core processors are kind of a cheaper substitute for dual processors. Music people have told me to do it, but then hardcore computer science geeks have told me it doesn't make the best sense for running a single audio application and I should stick with a regular processor.

I know there's an combination music-science person on here who can help me out!

#1683154 - 07/15/05 08:03 PM Re: dual core
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
Chris, can you hold off a bit on the new machine? With Win 64 slated to come out in the not too distant future, I've decided to wait a bit longer... I want to avoid any potential mobo driver problems and so forth.

As far as dual core, it sounds promising for DAW applications, but again, I want to check on benchmarks and actual user experiences a bit more before deciding on which CPU to go with for my next machine.
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#1683155 - 07/17/05 10:09 PM Re: dual core
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
I'm trying to hold off, as well.

The expected release date of the next generation of Windows is a little ambiguous. But, it is slated for some time before June. Microsoft\'s "Longhorn" OS Home Page.

Along with the new OS, Intel is readying some major hardware changes. The *955 Series* chipset is already out -- Click Here .

The two companies are co-developing a Hardware/Software generation that will bring in 64-bit processing and higher-bandwidth data transfer rates from all I/O devices (RAM, video and storage media). The tout is that the result will be system more suitable for audio & video. It may take a while for the software vendors to catch up. But, when they do...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

#1683156 - 07/18/05 01:20 PM Re: dual core
mjm Offline

Loc: London, England
Personally I'd go for the Athlon X2 processors. They're dual-core 64Bit processors. Pretty hardcore stuff but well worth it IMHO.

Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition is out already. I'm running it on my PC at the moment. Personally I haven't noticed any real speed differences between the 32 and 64 bit versions.

I'm running an Athlon XP 64 3000+ version with 2GB of RAM.

Tbh, I've heard that 64-Bit improvements really show when you're using over 4GB's of RAM because 32-Bit systems can only address upto a certain amount of RAM.

#1683157 - 07/18/05 07:29 PM Re: dual core
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
MJM, until 64-bit apps are developed, it is true that there is no reall speed improvement AND there is memory waste. It was true when coding transitioned from 16-bit to 32-bit.

Basically, think of a a 64-bit data word being used to transfer a 32-bit word. Half of the data word is empty and not used. And, to save code as a file will be the same thing... A 32k word will be saved as a 64k word. And, that goes for RAM, as well as HDD.

It is when the new software gets released in 64-bit optimized form that the 64-bit processors will shine. Right now, only XP-64 is taking advantage of it. Linux and Unix already does. But, when apps we relate to (Nuendo, Reason, Sonar, Audition, ProTools, etc.) come out in 64-bit, we will all be pleased.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."