Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1683130 - 07/14/05 09:39 AM Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Encinitas,CA,UNITED STATES
This isn't really a "keyboard" post as I'm not really a "keyboardist". So I'll put it here...

I finally made the required changes to my system to allow it to run the new Gigastudio and... WOW. I'm not used to the type of realism that long, loopless samples can bring.

The Mega Piano is outstanding. The resonance changes with pedal depressions. The high keys dont' "tink" like it seems standard samples do. The low keys are thunderous without being muddy... or too bright.

Rich is the word.

Gigastudio Solo is a bargain for anyone needing these types of sounds. $139!

Aside from 2 pianos the rest of the content provided is a mixed bag as for the ground covered. Companies trying to intice you with their sounds. So far what has been provided though, is simply awesome.

It can run via ReWire if that's your thing. PT LE for me. I can tell the load put on my system is pretty big. I think I'll be doing work mixes of tracks and opening the stereo mix up in a new session so I can devote all the cpu horsepower to Giga when I'm sweetening tracks.

Highly recommeded!

#1683131 - 07/14/05 11:28 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
RaGe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 16°14 N 61°32 W
Lee, check out http://www.fx-max.com/ ,they have a Giga teleport app that should work for your needs.

edit: PT LE, does it support VST 2.0? (i doubt it)

#1683132 - 07/14/05 12:26 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe:
Lee, check out http://www.fx-max.com/ ,they have a Giga teleport app that should work for your needs.

edit: PT LE, does it support VST 2.0? (i doubt it)
Thanks for the tip. I think I need to build my daughter a PC... \:D

PT doesn't do VST unless it's run through the wrapper. So... I guess it does. I just need to build that "kids PC".

#1683133 - 07/14/05 08:13 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
RaGe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 16°14 N 61°32 W
There are a few things to consider before taking the plunge, mainly hardware compatibility. But once you get it to work it's just beautiful. See my post there: http://www.fx-max.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748 and let me know if I can help you further.

I was one of the early adopters of Gigasampler back in 1998 IIRC but I slowly drifted away from it using VSTis samplers which allowed me to save a session as a whole without worrying about recalling patches on the Giga machine. It seems GS3 is in a whole other league by itself, I may get back to using it.

RaGe

#1683134 - 07/14/05 09:51 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
I'm a Gigastudio fan, but I have not gone to 3 yet... I thought I'd let the bugs get worked out of it first. ;\) How's it running for you - is it solid and bug free?

Personally, I like having Giga, and the majority of my softsynths, on a second, dedicated computer. That has one disadvantage - you can't save everything in one fell swoop... but the advantage is more CPU power for each system. I still do the MIDI tracks in the DAW, and "print" audio tracks in the DAW (via audio and MIDI interface connections between the two machines), so the sound is there... I back up the softsynth and Giga data and include that in a seperate folder in the project backups. It's a little more work, but the increase in power makes it worth it to me.
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#1683135 - 07/15/05 04:35 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Eric Beam Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Santa Monica
Kontakt has started taking over the sample world. It opens pretty much anything including GIGA samples.. i like the interface better aswell.

allot of new sample cd's are just using a modified kontakt player and there samples and selling it as a instrument. helps them with the copy protection..

#1683136 - 07/15/05 08:38 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:
I'm a Gigastudio fan, but I have not gone to 3 yet... I thought I'd let the bugs get worked out of it first. ;\) How's it running for you - is it solid and bug free?
Uh.... no. I still love the way it sounds but it crashes... a lot. I recorded a band where the piano player just played his weighted key controller with some cheesy piano sample.

Once I got Giga happening, I opened the Mega Piano patch and... I swear it sounds like we tracked a nice piano in a nice room.

I had plans of doing remote recording at a friends Kawai grand but I don't think I need to now...

...but it does crash... a lot.

#1683137 - 07/15/05 09:08 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Alndln Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,NY,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by (RhythmInMind):
Kontakt has started taking over the sample world. It opens pretty much anything including GIGA samples.. i like the interface better aswell.
I pretty much abandoned Giga myself a while back and exclusivley use kontakt myself.As far as conversions are concerned I transfered my Giga library over no problem but then again I didn't have any large orchestral samples so I really can't vouch for that and I'm sure it wouldn't be 100%(ie: pedal/comtroler assignments etc.),but Kontakt is getting great support in the large library dept. so that issue has become somewhat moot these days.With Feeze in Sonar I don't have to worry about CPU issues much,but Kontakt is a lot less CPU intensive than Giga anyway.Giga is a very nice sampler but it really does demand it's own seperate machine.Since I don't use large Orchestral library's I can't really compare the 2 in that dept. but I don't realy hear anyone complaining about ESQ Gold and the Garriton library's.The largest instrument I own is the Black Grand which sounds great in Kontakt and covers my Piano needs,and VST integration is hard to beat.

#1683138 - 07/15/05 09:13 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Alndln Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,NY,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Knight:
...but it does crash... a lot.
If there's one thing I learned using Giga is that it really demands it's own seperate machine,and what Gigs wants Giga Gets.

#1683139 - 07/15/05 11:17 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
seclusion Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Orillia, CANADA
Ya Phil, I've been running GS3 for 6 or so months and it's solid as I've ever seen it. The only downer is that once you decide to do the gigapulse you need a powerful computer to run it. I can do everything in GS3 but gigapulse on my P3... It's kinda funny seeming the CPU go right upto 98% before I even hit a note... And locks up cause it just can't do it. 2 more weeks before the new parts come!!!

#1683140 - 07/15/05 10:13 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
WFTurner Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: PA, USA
I run Gigastudio 3 Solo rewired to Sonar 4 and it runs fine and of course sounds great and is pretty solid and not all that CPU hoggish. I basically run a Nemesis GigaPiano and Larry Seyers Acoustic Bass with it.

Sometimes I find using those sample sets with VSampler yields just as good results with a little less CPU.

I like the on board mixer and effects with Giga very much, though I don't have any libraries programmed to use the gigapulse thing. I use Voxengos PrestineSpace for convolution reverb and from what I've heard about gigapulse and resources that's probably a good thing.

Sometimes the truth is rude...
tough shit... get used to it.

#1683141 - 07/17/05 03:17 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
The Soundsmith Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
I have a dedicated 2.4G P4 with 1G RAM. With 2.54, it ran well, but Giga would crash pretty regularly, but never a big deal, just restart. With 3.0 and 3.1, it is really hitting the wall pretty easily. I can get 20 different instruments loaded and have plenty to spare, as long as they're 16-bit samples, but as soon as I open the new Gigapiano, especially if I do it with the .gsi (Gigapule patch) it just groans.
I need yet another computer - thank God it's deductible...

#1683142 - 07/17/05 06:06 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
mattzen Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
giga is good. Kontakt is better. I switched my 8 PCs running Giga to now run Kontakt via FX-Teleport about 2 years ago. Never looked back.

Much more stable. But if giga is giving you something u didn't have before and can deal with the crashes, it's a wonderful thing....

Best of Luck!

#1683143 - 07/18/05 12:31 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattzen:
giga is good. Kontakt is better. I switched my 8 PCs running Giga to now run Kontakt via FX-Teleport about 2 years ago. Never looked back.

Much more stable. But if giga is giving you something u didn't have before and can deal with the crashes, it's a wonderful thing....

Best of Luck!
That is an insightful post. It IS giving something I didn't have before, yes. And it does crash. Kontakt, huh? It never ends, does it?

Thanks for not slamming my choice with a, "mine is better, why'd ya get that?"

Kontakt, huh? Maybe a new 2nd PC first?

#1683144 - 07/18/05 01:16 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
mjm Offline

Loc: London, England
I dunno about the whole X vs Y sampler thing. What I do know is that Jeff Rona, Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson Williams use Giga.

#1683145 - 07/18/05 11:26 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

I use (and like) Giga too, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to try something else out occasionally to see if it performed better and if I liked it better. \:\) So I definitely appreciate the info reports on Kontakt, as well as the warning posts regarding Giga 3's issues on some systems.
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

#1683146 - 07/19/05 10:03 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Lee Knight Offline
Platinum Member

I upgraded to Pro Tools 6.9.3 (I think that's the right last digit) and Giga runs much smoother set up through ReWire.

I don't know if that's because my install of 6.7 was going south, or because 6.9 is a better match but... it runs much smoother.

As soon as I get something I like, I render it to an audio track. It's working like a charm...

I realize this is a very rudimentary way of using the program but it's all I really need right now. Sweetening rock/pop tracks.

#1683147 - 07/19/05 12:02 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Kendrix Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester,NY,UNITED STATES
I believe kontakt has a lite version ( forget the actual name) as well- for folks that just need a good player and dont do much sample editing/manipulation.

This runs even more efficiently than the full blown Kontakt which , as was mentioned, is musch less of a resource hog than Giga to start with.

Im close to moving to Kontakt lite ( to run on the same machine as Cubase) from my EMu hardware sampler.

I have a hard time finding any fans of Steinbergs Halion - anyone? Ive heard its a resource hog and a complex UI.

#1683148 - 07/20/05 02:25 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
mattzen Offline

Halion was great in version 2. Version 3 is a bit of a mess and is also copy protected on the dongle now so that turns a lot of folks off.

Maybe you are thinking of Kopmakt. The lite version of Kontakt. It comes with a heap of great sounds too.

a lot of sample developers are using the Kompakt interface to deliver their product in a secure way now. For example you can buy the the Bosendorfer 290 from Post Pianos in a plugin format using the Kompakt player. So if you buy this piano, you get a free player. No sampler required. most of East West's own offerings are using the Kompakt Player or the Intakt Player. Garritan's GPO orchestra is in a Kontakt player, etc. My point is, if the samples you like are in this format there's no need to even buy a sampler. Just something worth checking out.

In any event, giga was a revolutionary product. It's just the last few years the fell behind the pack. (unfortunately). much luck!

#1683149 - 07/20/05 07:43 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

So if you buy this piano, you get a free player.

Can you load other samples into that player as well, or are you limited to just the pianos?

I've just read a few reviews on Kompakt, and some people are reporting compatibility issues with Kontakt samples. Do you have any personal experience with any sample library incompatabilities, or has everything worked well for you?
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

#1683150 - 07/21/05 03:40 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: SJ, Cal-ee-fon-ya
A little late to this thread, but, FWIW, I was an EXS guy until I picked up Kontakt 2. Since then, I've pretty much only used Kontakt. It has a tremendous amount of mod/efx flexibility as well as being stable and very easy to use. For me, the interface is very intuitive (others may not think so). I like the tabbed pages and expandable edit sections (let's you see only what you need to when you're working on a setup).

The "purge samples" feature is also great for freeing up RAM if you load up huge multis and decide you don't need one or two of the instruments. It's a bit more CPU intense than EXS, but I think that's just because EXS is so tightly wound into Logic. Besides, I just freeze the track if it's taxing things too much. Also, if you have samples in a bunch of different formats (like me), then K2's universal import is a very useful feature.

I haven't used GS, so can't really compare the two, but I've been very pleased with the changes NI made to Kontakt in version 2.

Of course, as with all things, YMMV.

--Mark

#1683151 - 07/21/05 06:40 PM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
DanS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Montréal
Well, somehow, I've had Gigastudio3, Cubase VST32, Acid Pro5, Kompakt, & Absynth all running at the same time. I don't overload GS3 with a lot of instruments, and don't use Gigapulse (not worth it). I use Giga for my pianos, basses, & acoustic guitars, and the odd other bit.
I've had the odd crash, but hard to say what triggered it.
All in all, I'm happy with the system.

PX-5S, XK3c, Motif XSr, Fantom Xr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel-Steckos-Blunt-Instruments/556480307717684

#1683152 - 07/23/05 03:50 AM Re: Gigastudio 3.0 YES!
mattzen Offline

Quote:
Can you load other samples into that player as well, or are you limited to just the pianos? [/QB]
You can only load the samples that come bundled with that particular piano. Many Many premium samples these days are coming packaged in this manner for copy protection reasons. It also opens up the market for more users though because you don't have to buy a sampler to use the samples. Also, it reduces development costs because they don't have to make compatible versions for all the different format samplers.

Quote:
I've just read a few reviews on Kompakt, and some people are reporting compatibility issues with Kontakt samples. Do you have any personal experience with any sample library incompatabilities, or has everything worked well for you? [/QB]
Well i mainly use Kontakt. The cool thing is if you buy a plug-in sample player based in Kompakt and you have Kontakt you can just load those samples in Kontakt (installing the player that comes with them unlocks the copy protection in a way).

I've converted a HUGE library of giga samples to Kontakt including the entire Vienna Symphonic Pro Edition (256 gigs of orch samples). So I guess if i run into compatibilitie issues i just open the editor and make the tweaks.

Kontakt has a built in converter that does pretty darn well converting samples from many different formats in to it's own native format. One can also buy Chicken Systems Translator or CD Xtract which are stand alone sample converters. I've used all three because they all handle things in a slightly different way. So if i don't like the conversion that one of them does, i'll convert in another one with possibly a different and more desirable result.

I really don't want to be too anti-giga here but I used giga for years and am never going back. giga can only read giga and convert akai samples. Kontakt can convert most anything and play it more efficiently.

A streaming sampler works by buffering the very first part of the sample in RAM so it can play instantly when you hit the key. The amount of that sample the program buffers combined with the number of samples loaded determines how much RAM is used.

Giga's buffer is a fixed amount (i think 128 K for each sample). In Kontakt, it's adjustable by the user. In Kontakt 1.5 I had my buffer set at 72k. I was able to load almost twice as many samples!

Now with Kontakt 2 they have improved the streaming SO much I'm able to get good results with only 6K of the sample buffered!!!

Anyway, all of these tools are wonderful. Many, many folks are making great music using all of the above. If you've got giga, you can do plenty of great stuff with it.

For me Kontakt is just more versitile and modern in features and user interface and performance.