Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1683063 - 07/12/05 04:28 PM Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
Some of you may have seen Craig's announcement about SSS moving over to Harmony Central, effective on or about 7/20/05...

Link 1

Additionally, you may have noticed that Brother Dave Bryce will also be moving "The Keyboard Corner" over to HC...

Link 2

Lee Flier will also be moving the SSS Poli Forum over there...

What's going on?

Well, I'll tell you what I can:

CMP has announced their intentions to tie the MP forums into the magazines more closely and revamp the forums. Exactly what that entails, or what they have planned for this site, I can not say, because no one at CMP has told me anything. I honestly don't know anything about their plans as far as that goes. Hopefully they'll let everyone know in the not too distant future.

CMP, via Craig, has allowed me to serve here as a moderator for the past year and a half, and it's been an incredibly rewarding ride, and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity. However, I have not been contacted by anyone at CMP insofar as the forums go, and I have been offered an opportunity to moderate over at HC, and have decided to join Craig in the move and accept that position.

A few comments about that, if may:

First of all, dB said it quite well over on the Keyboard Corner. I'd like to quote his words here if I may:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bryce over on the Keyboard Forum:

Here's the deal...my allegiance is to Craig. The reason that I am the moderator of this forum is because of Craig. All of the support that I have ever gotten for this forum over the years has come from Craig; so, when the opportunity arose for me to join him over there, it seemed natural to do so.
That holds equally true for me. I would never have had the opportunity to moderate here if it had not been for Craig's trust in me, and his giving me that opportunity. Craig has essentially been my only point of contact with CMP as far as forum duties are concerned. Of course, that's not to diminish the excellent work of SysAdmin's like Dendy and Jim...

Now some of you may have some concerns about HC. Admittedly, it's been a pretty "wild" environment over there... not a lot of moderator involvement, etc. Also, you may have heard that HC was recently purchased by Musician's Friend... which, as you may also know, is owned by the same parent company as Guitar Center.

However, it's not going to be what you might be thinking, or what you might fear... I can't go into all the details, but can tell you that the people who are moving over there are people who I have the UTMOST respect for, and I honestly wouldn't be doing this (nor would they) if we thought it meant that our forum activities, POV and opinions would be dictated by HC's management. There are some interesting plans in the works, and while I can not go into all the details, the forums are not just going to be an extension of GC or MF, but a seperate entity in their own right. All I can say is that it's going to be cool, and anyone who wants to join us over there (and that doesn't mean you'd have to stop participating here ;\) ) would be more than welcome... and I think you might be pleased with some of the things we have planned. As they say... "stay tuned".

So in short, I believe that MP forums will continue to exist in some form, but as far as what that form will take, I can not say.

Craig will continute to write for Keyboard and EQ, and as far as I know, this will not effect my participation insofar as my contributions to EQ either. And of course, if and when the "new" MP forums are put into place, my connection with EQ will definitely see me participating over here from time to time - just not as a moderator.

If asked, I will do whatever I can to help CMP during the transition periods. And again, I want to thank CMP for hosting these forums and for allowing me to serve as a moderator here. I definitely appreciate it.

I would like to thank each and every one of you for allowing me the opportunity to serve you as your moderator, and for your valuable contributions and participation on this forum. This place "worked" because of you, and I just wanted to say that not only am I well aware of that fact, but I am sincerely grateful for all that you have done.

Well, that pretty much covers everything. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them, and I'll keep you informed to the best of my ability during the transitions.

Again, my humble thanks to each of you for all of your contributions. You folks rawk!
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#1683064 - 07/12/05 05:09 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
You can't get rid of me that easily, Phil--I am a gonna follow you over there! So There!

\:\)

My musical gear Blog

#1683065 - 07/12/05 05:33 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
gearmike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Um, where the hell am I?
I wonder how they'll treat competing pimps over there...

#1683066 - 07/12/05 05:40 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Red Winger Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: SJ, Cal-ee-fon-ya
Quote:
Originally posted by forceman:
You can't get rid of me that easily, Phil--I am a gonna follow you over there! So There!

\:\)
Kinda like a bad rash? ;\)

Just registered, so I'll see ya there.

--Mark

#1683067 - 07/12/05 05:53 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by gearmike:
I wonder how they'll treat competing pimps over there...
I don't think you have to worry about that Mike.

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1683068 - 07/12/05 06:36 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
gearmike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Um, where the hell am I?
Lee,

I'm already banned!?

#1683069 - 07/12/05 07:17 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
TBush Offline

Loc: Syracuse,IN,UNITED STATES
Craig will continute to write for Keyboard and EQ, and as far as I know, this will not effect my participation insofar as my contributions to EQ either. And of course, if and when the "new" MP forums are put into place, my connection with EQ will definitely see me participating over here from time to time - just not as a moderator.

Dang, you're a good moderator, too... well count me in as another rash... must... register...

#1683070 - 07/12/05 07:20 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Synthguy Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: a lovely flop on Baker Street
So... does that mean that I should buy a couple of sawed-off shotgun mics as well? ;\)

Frankly, I haven't even been to HC for two months because it had all the charm of a back alley in Baghdad. But maybe things will be different if we move in and clean the graffiti off the walls.

#1683071 - 07/12/05 07:34 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by gearmike:
Lee,

I'm already banned!?
:D

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1683072 - 07/12/05 07:52 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Outskirts of Big Bear, CA,UNIT...
\:\( - For here...
- For there...
- To everyone else who shows upo over there!
- To CMP.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

#1683073 - 07/12/05 08:18 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
offramp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Golden, CO.
I guess I'm still pretty confused as to how all of this is going to go down, and what all of this will look like, in much too short of an order.

#1683074 - 07/12/05 09:05 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

I'm in over there, now. The recording forum looks pretty civil, so far. Now, for another bookmark in the title bar.

#1683075 - 07/12/05 09:24 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Dak Lander Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Temecula, LoCal, USA
Thanks for the clarification Phil.
I guess I'll have to mosey on over & see if my account is still worth a shit.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

#1683076 - 07/12/05 09:56 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
DC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: here to eternity...
Yeah, like Phil, I'll follow Craig anywhere cause I trust him. Whatever happens, I'll find you guys!

http://www.garageband.com/artist/MichaelangelosMuse

#1683077 - 07/12/05 10:07 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
umkcprof Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Well, I don't know Craig from Karl Rove, but I do know how much help Phil has been to me and my work. I'll follow him anywhere.

:-)

I'd be like a sheep without a shepard!

Steve

#1683078 - 07/12/05 10:32 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Alndln Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,NY,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:
Lee Flier will also be moving the SSS Poli Forum over there...
maybe they should go all the way and have the political forum live at Guitar Center amongst the shredding frenzy. \:D

#1683079 - 07/12/05 10:39 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
offramp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Golden, CO.
I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that I'll have to register at HC.

I mean, geez...last time I stopped in there--what, two, three years ago?--I was reminded why I was glad I got out of high school.

#1683080 - 07/12/05 11:03 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Congratulations, Phil, on the new opportunity.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to post at either site this summer, as I'll be moving too (within Los Angeles); but I'll be involved to the extent that I can.

Best,

Geoff

P.S. I'm currently registered at Harmony Central as soapbox.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#1683081 - 07/12/05 11:34 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So I think that Phil is now having a HC BBQ???

I'm proud to host the MP farewell jam (formerly "The East Coast Jam").

#1683082 - 07/13/05 12:29 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Eric Beam Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Santa Monica
Hey i'm all up for it.. one less web page to change. i visit HC anyways. i'll be able to check out the new products and easily get on the forum and start blabbing about em.. works for me =)

forums are a dime a dozen, i could careless where it's hosted, it's the people that matter.. you know we will follow..

Will the old posts be transferred?

#1683083 - 07/13/05 01:09 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
AudioMaverick Offline
Platinum Member

Just out of boredom & curiosity, I did a quick number crunch... The forums that are moving represent roughly 45% of the total number of posts on the active forums.

Just some almost meaningless trivia...

By the way, from the posts I've been reading on H.C. ... It looks like we will be spicing up the level of exchange over there. Looks like fun!

#1683084 - 07/13/05 06:42 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
wireline Offline
Platinum Member

I hate to see this for one...hope it works out...

Been my experience that trying to interact at HC forums is like trying to have a conversation in the food court at the mall...good intentions, but just too much noise and social vandalism from junior high kids to accomplish much...

I really hope this works out for everyone, though.

#1683085 - 07/13/05 08:20 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
DafDuc Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Da Thumb
Wow. I can't remember if I have an HC ID or not. Guess it's time to mosey over there and see...

Daf

#1683086 - 07/13/05 10:32 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Hush Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC,UNITED STATES
It's an end of an era. On to the next. Hope to see you all at our new home.

Marc

#1683087 - 07/13/05 11:57 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Groeg Offline

Loc: Cary, NC
I'll be right behind you Marc!

Phil, you've done a great job here and I will be following you guys over to HC....I will need to sign up I suppose. Never been over there and I'm curious how it'll be after reading some of these posts.

#1683088 - 07/13/05 01:17 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
the stranger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: THE TOP

#1683089 - 07/13/05 01:17 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
RaGe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 1614 N 6132 W

When can we expect to be sheeped over there?

#1683090 - 07/13/05 08:02 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

When can we expect to be sheeped over there?

Well, no one HAS to go over there, and just because some of you may decide to do so doesn't mean you can't / shouldn't continue to participate here under the revamped MP forums - in whatever form they might take - and I honestly do not know what that will be, beyond what I've heard about the desire on CMP's part to more closely tie the forums to the magazines...

But AFAIK, the new moderators should be in place over on HC sometime within the next week or two, and of course I'll do my best to keep everyone posted on developments.

Once again, my sincere and heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you for making this place happen, and also for your kind words and well wishes. It has been one of the greatest honors of my life to have been your hairless leader. \:o ;\) \:D
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

#1683091 - 07/13/05 09:27 PM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
RaGe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 1614 N 6132 W
Looking back at my post I see how it can be misinterpreted. Forgot to add the smiley!
Sorry 'bout that.

#1683092 - 07/14/05 12:40 AM Re: Well, the cat's out of the bag.... please read.
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

No worries RaGe... \:\) I was pretty sure about what you meant... I just wanted to say that as general information that goes out to one and all. \:\)
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >