Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1682249 - 06/21/05 02:18 PM ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

Loc: Van
I have a p4 2.0ghz with 768 mb ram and 128mb ati card....i just purchased an echo gina 3g and an audio technica 3035 condensor mic, but am baffled at how to work the Gina. I do everything it tells me to do in the manual, install the software, off, put in the soundcard, plug in the hardware, nothing happens? I hear nothing from the mic and there is an amber light on the Gina box. Does anyone have this or any echo product and can someone please help me with this? It would be much appreciated.

#1682250 - 06/21/05 02:26 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Dylan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You have to first enable the input from the Echo Console in order to monitor your input.

#1682251 - 06/21/05 10:57 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

everything has been enabled, but do i have to monitor it from headphones or speakers hooked up to gina only? Or can the computers speakers pick up the sound?

#1682252 - 06/21/05 11:59 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Alndln Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,NY,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by OpTiMuSRhYmE:
can the computers speakers pick up the sound?
Yes,if their connected to the Gina's outputs.

#1682253 - 06/22/05 11:46 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

oh, so something has to be connected to the gina box itself in order to listen to whats going on. So if i record something with a mic, I can only listen to the playback with a monitoring device or if i switch back the sound device to my computers original?

#1682254 - 06/23/05 10:46 AM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Dylan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Correct. There is no way for the computer to route the Gina's output to your on-board soundcard's output in realtime. You might want to consider some type of inexpensive mixer to handle your monitoring. This way, you could have both soundcards outputs sharing the same set of speakers.

#1682255 - 07/01/05 09:57 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

I have headphones now, but i still can't hear anything from the mic.....when i tap on the mic i haer a low tapping sound from the phones, but no voice att all. when i play music, i can hear it from the phones so i know theres nothing wrong with the gina, could it be that i do need a mixer for it. I have a audio technica 3035 condensor mic. Also, the software im using is cakewalk sonar 4.

#1682256 - 07/02/05 03:36 AM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Alndln Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,NY,UNITED STATES
2 things,first check your Gina's software mixer panels and make sure the settings are correct(especially impedance settings for mics) and get familiar with it,make sure input echo is on in the track your using in the track view in Sonar(the button on top right after M S R,make sure the green light is on)and check to see if your mic requires phantom power.

#1682257 - 07/06/05 08:32 AM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

echo tech support was saying something about using a preamp? and if there was any activity on the Gina itself. I didn't get a response back yet, but I don't use any extra preamp cause I thought the Gina already has two in which the mic can input into. DO I need an extra preamp? As for the activity question...the only thing i see is a amber/orange light thats constant and the green light that goes on when I turn on the phantom power.

#1682258 - 07/06/05 04:25 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
eliah Offline

Loc: california
I dont know if this will help...But in the old days of the gina you would have to install everything and then go to integrated peripherals...This is done as the computer starts up by hitting one of the F key ex. F4,F5 etc. Though I am unsure which one it is...Now this was done on the older computer models because you had to free up an interrupt request, and if your P.C didnt have one free you were S.O.L, or you had to disable the onboard soundcard. Which, brings me to my next suggestion. Disable your onboard soundcard and just use gina in its place. Lots of cards and especially gina are not capable of running your stock card alongside it I think its an echo thing. When you get it figured out and it works take the outputs from the gina and route them into a mixer. I suggest someting small like a carvin, berhinger, or mackie mixer. Something like that will get the job done pretty good....Oh and about mics and especially with a condenser mic dont tap them to check them you will destroy the capsule. Especailly with condenser mics due to their construction and low sound pressure levels..If an engineer catches you doing that in his or her studio they will kick your ass out quick....But not before handing you a bill for the mic!! Hope I could help though, I doubt I did!

#1682259 - 07/22/05 01:06 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

This is the deal....The Gina works...The Technica Headphones work....some other cheaper mics work that had the on/off switches on them....I sent the 3035 back to get it checked at their place, they send it back stating it works fine...i try it with Gina again....still no sound? Seriously...do I need a mixer or another pre amp or something?

#1682260 - 07/22/05 01:07 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OpTiMuSRhYmE:
This is the deal....The Gina works...The Technica Headphones work....some other cheaper mics work that had the on/off switches on them....I sent the 3035 back to get it checked at their repair place, they send it back stating it works fine...i try it with Gina again....still no sound? Seriously...do I need a mixer or another pre amp or something?

#1682261 - 07/22/05 02:53 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
The 3035 needs phantom power. Do you have than enabled on your preamp?
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#1682262 - 07/22/05 02:58 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

I have not seen / used the new model Gina, and I see that it has two "universal inputs" (mic / line), but the specs don't mention phantom power on it. If it lacks phantom power then you'll need to use an external preamp, or buy a seperate phantom power supply and run that inline between the mic an the Gina. \:\)

Shouldn't cost more than $50 or so for what you need.
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

#1682263 - 07/22/05 03:00 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

#1682264 - 07/22/05 06:02 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
OpTiMuSRhYmE Offline

it has +48 v phantom power that you can enable through the console, but the mic still will not output sound even with this. Does it require even more?

#1682265 - 07/22/05 07:30 PM Re: ECHO GINA 3g PROBLEMS.....PLEASE HELP!
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

No, 48V should be fine. Other than that, I'm stumped though - sorry, but I'm not familiar with that particular audio interface. Have you tried calling Echo customer support and asking them for suggestions?
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com