Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage Classic vs Electro 4D?

Karl Sutton

The dream rig thread has got me thinking about rearranging my setup. I'm thinking about selling the VK8 to buy a DP (either a Yamaha 155 or Casio 350) and then making my Stage the top board. But then I got to thinking about selling the Stage to get a 4D. Has anyone made a move like that?
Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do you use the synth section on your NS?

Since you would be using the Yamaha or Casio for piano, I would probably just slap a Ventilator on the Stage and call it a day.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The 4D is VERY appealing I know, to me too. But thats only because I have my workstation workhorse. You would lose that if you shitcanned your stage

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

well the organ is what I'm interested in the 4D - would a vent really help the stage classic get to that? I could live without drawbars.

A Stage Classic with Ventilator vs. Electro 4D without a Ventilator? Damn good question! I use a Ventilator with my Stage Classic, but have never heard the 4D organs. If this A/B comparison is close, adding a Ventilator to your Stage may represent the most economical decision.

Again, how much do you use the synth section on your Stage? I use it a lot, so for me the NS synth section, combined with a Ventilator for the organ would tip the scales toward the NS Classic.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I agree with Moonglow, if the synth section is important just pick up a vent..

However, regarding the differences in Stage classic vs 4D, I've owned and played a C2 with the C2D OS in it.. The new C2D 122 leslie sim (which is in the 4D) is really good! I think it's on a par with the Ventilator now, and by that I mean that in a blind listening test, the ventilator would no longer win hands down. I still prefer the Ventilator because I hear a little more low rotor animation, and I find it a tiny bit warmer. however, the sims are now so close that I wouldn't buy a Ventilator, if I had a C2D or a 4D, and neither would I bother using a ventilator live.

Regarding the question of stage classic plus vent vs 4D by itself... the stage classic has been around for a while, and I don't think that the organ engine has been updated recently. I could be mistaken but my guess is that it's pretty much the same organ engine that's in the C1.. so it doesn't have any of the improvements that were built into the C2 OR the C2D.. Some will argue that the C1 plus ventilator is a pretty good sounding organ, others will complain that it's rather compressed sounding and the C/V is off a bit.. As far as the organ goes, with the 4D you will have better overdrive, better key click, better C/V, a significantly better leslie sim and a much more realistic, less compressed sound (and of course real drawbars). I think that the stage classic plus vent will sound really good, but the 4D by itself will sound better, how much better is the question, and that's a matter if individual taste.. With the 4D you will also see improvements in the other sounds as well..

Assuming that the synth section wasn't important, I think my financial situation would dictate my choice.. if cash was really tight I would just get the ventilator, but on the other hand, I think the 4D is an excellent investment, if affordable.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm no Hammond expert but if I could take the percussion, overdrive, & drawbars from my VK8 and the C/V and upper registers from the Stage I'd have what I'd want. I thought the 4D sounded pretty good. I guess I was thinking whatever I lost synth wise from the Stage could be made up for with the sample loading ability in the 4D? I don't really need much synth for my live playing other than pads & strings.
Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

Karl,

Nord has a pretty extensive list of very useable samples.. Including a lot of synth patches, and strings and mellotrons etc.. You should definately check them out. I could definitely get by just with a 4D for most of the classic rock I play.. With one caveat... I really need split/layer capabilities that the Nord doesn't have.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Does the Rhodes in the Electro 4D sound the same as in the Electro 3 ?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Does the Rhodes in the Electro 4D sound the same as in the Electro 3 ?

Yes, all the samples are the same. The differences are the organ engine, leslie model, addition of a delay effect and long release for acoustic pianos. There might also be different D/A converters, you never know, so Rhodes might sound different/better in the 4D.

Electro 4D vs 3 comparison

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Karl, I think you should try a Ventilator. Even though the 4D has a more authentic sounding organ engine, access to the sample library and so on, you'll lose important features like multitimbrality, the synth section and last but not least external midi control and pitch stick and mod wheel. If organ is most important to you, the Ventilator will still be a significant upgrade. You might also want to consider the Ocean Beach Drawbars.

I had the Electro 3 as my main board for 2+ years, and although it sounded great, in the end the limitations mentioned above made me sell it and get a Stage 2 instead. I now have the Stage 2 with a Ventilator and I couldn't be happier.

If you feel you need to upgrade. First get a ventilator, then if you still feel it's not enough, I think you should start saving to get a Stage 2 instead.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived