Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo vs. Mono.... not what you think!

J. Dan

Ok, so we got the Presonus StudioLive board and are going to use it for the first time for our gig tomorrow. So the bass player (who bought it and will be running it) asked everybody in practice who was running mono and who was running stereo. (BTW, he's a rep that sells to distributors like GC, and is getting some new fangled PA for our gig, which I assume he plans on running stereo :facepalm:)

Anyway...so I'm running mono (Can I get a "hell yeah!" brotha' Kanker?). So, BOTH guitar players are running stereo. Really? Really? Can we make it more complicated? Why don't we run the snare stereo while we're at it? Huhhhh.

I'll report on the PreSonus and whatever PA he's bringing after the gig. I wish I could remember what he's bringing. It sounded to me like a competitor to the bose sticks but bigger. Sort of line-array-ish.... multiple speakers on top. Not too sure about the bass - sounded like 4 small subs per side (like 8's or something crazy)... for an outdoor gig. We'll see. I have a pair of 18's. He told me we won't need them. We'll see.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a die-hard stereo player, and even I think two guitar players in stereo is a bad idea.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I'm a die-hard stereo player, and even I think two guitar players in stereo is a bad idea.
Me too, though in theory it could be done tastefully. It depends on what stereo FX are used, how often, and to what purposes.

My guess, though, is that in most cases it would be "So my guitar sounds HUMONGOUS!" This case is covered by Kevin's reply.

I'll play.

Making the assumption that he reps PreSonus in the St Louis area, he also reps Community Pro Speakers.

ENTASYS200 Speakers

and

VLF208LV 8" subs

Ding-ding-ding....we have a winner! Although in the ones he had, the subs had the amps/crossovers built in like the Bose subs do. It was 2 stacked sub modules, a pole, and then the top speakers.

I didn't get a chance to listen out front, but peple said it sounded good. I was missing that thump, though. I'm guessing it still didn't have the balls of a conventional outdoor PA with multiple 18's.

I used IEM's, and teh worst part about 2 stereo guitars, whas that since the Presonus doesn't have stereo channels, so that was 4 channels of guitar. When I wanted to turn down the guitars in my ears, I had to hit the button to pull up my monitor mix, then turn down 4 aux sends to do the job. On top of that, the guitar volumes drifted, so I had to keep making adjustments.

I'm going to start a new thread on the UPS issue I had.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Stereo guitars (and keyboards) only works when it's done right. What sounds great in a solo context does not translate to the group context. You really have to tweak the sound in the context of a band, and a lot of players overuse the stereo reverb and/or chorus which is not always appropriate.

The best approach is to record the band sans your instrument and play along. If you can multi-track the band and tweak your playback that will be the best. You will be surprised what does and doesn't work.

I used IEM's, and teh worst part about 2 stereo guitars, whas that since the Presonus doesn't have stereo channels, so that was 4 channels of guitar.

Just nit picking but the StudioLive does have stereo inputs but they are line level and if you are micing the guitars it wouldn't do much good.

FWIW, I use one of these for my PA and I think it's a fantastic piece of gear.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I used IEM's, and teh worst part about 2 stereo guitars, whas that since the Presonus doesn't have stereo channels, so that was 4 channels of guitar.

Just nit picking but the StudioLive does have stereo inputs but they are line level and if you are micing the guitars it wouldn't do much good.

FWIW, I use one of these for my PA and I think it's a fantastic piece of gear.

I didn't hook them up, but one of the guitars WAS running line level. I'm assuming since it was on the opposite side of the stage, he ran XLR. I think we're going to have a talk about our setup and I will suggest if he's going to run stereo that he at least run into a single stereo channel if that's available - because 4 aux sends to adjust guitar monitor level just complicates trying to get a good mix.

The other thing that was screwing with me is that he had the sends set post fader instead of pre (by accident). So I was chasing levels all night as he'd make FOH adjustments. The biggest problem was that, as these things typically go, the kept jacking the schedule around on us and we ended up having to start with a new PA and no sound check, trying to run it from stage....recipe for disaster.

Dan

The other thing that was screwing with me is that he had the sends set post fader instead of pre (by accident). So I was chasing levels all night as he'd make FOH adjustments.

That's one of the things I don 't like about the board- at least the 16.0.2 which is the one that i have. The Pre or post aux settings are done globally and you can't select it individually for each channel as is done on conventional analog boards.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived