Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MOX8 - Baba O-Riley Noob

cross

Hello all,

My son is new to the synth. He has a Yamaha MOX8/Qbase. For his Rock Academy school he needs to play Baba O-riley. Could someone please talk me through getting that into sound out of his Yamaha? Point me in the right direction please? Thanks

Cross

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I don't have a MOX...but with mine, I downloaded, placed on a USB Stick, then loaded into User bank 3. You have to be willing to give up the bank, but it travels on-board. Once loaded, it stays until you overwrite the bank.

Pretty sure it's the same procedure with the MOX.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I've made my own quick version of a Baba sound on the MOX, but it's a rougher approximation than what I hear on VK. What I didn't like upon seeing a video of the VK version is that the two parts (the opening sequence, and then the notes that start playing in between those notes) are shown as needing to be played in different octaves of the keyboard. I want it all together, because as the song progresses and you're using your other hand for a piano part, you want to be able to get some of those back-and-forth repetitions by playing with two fingers of one hand, so that's how I set it up. Is it possible to alter the Baba sound on VK to work that way, so you can play the "second" part in between the keys of the "first" part instead of in a different octave?

For that matter, can anyone give me a tip on how to set it up so that it plays repeating eighth notes when you hold a single key, but plays alternating repeating sixteenth notes when you press two keys? That's the right way to do it (and the way I did it back on my Maxi-Korg in the 70s), and I couldn't quickly find how to do that on the MOX. For my quick-and-dirty version, I just set up the repeating 16ths for whatever I play, and for the parts where I only want the eighths, I strike each hit separately. But I'd rather not! ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nice!

You can append or selectively replace patches. To do so, the John Melas Total Libriarian software is a 'must have' for any MOX owner. I ended up buying the entire suite of software. Saves me hours of work.

http://www.jmelas.gr

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived