Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap heavy-touch keyboard?

Nillerbabs

Hey folks,

This sunday I'll be moving in with a couple of friends, thus abandoning my current apartment and the practice room with a decent upright down the hall. This past year I have spent a lot of time practicing on a Boston grand piano. While not exactly a great instrument, playing it is a serious finger workout, which has made all other pianos feel like melted butter.

I'd like to keep this sensation going, and so I'm looking for a practice keyboard for my future room, preferably on the cheap yet with as heavy a touch as possible (within reason, of course). I don't crave top quality. Tomorrow I will be checking out a used Privia PX 330, but if you have any suggestions of keyboards that might fit the bill, or other ways adress this need, please feel free to throw them at me!

Niels

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Korg SP250 has pretty nice action, and I'd say it's on the heavy side. I like some of the darker pianos on it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I do like the Korg 250 but would prefer the P155 over it and certainly the Casio.

I play my friend's P155 at least once a month at a jam session doing trio stuff and backing up lame singers. While I'd prefer the CP50, sound wise, the 155 works fine.

Yamaha previewed a new dp at summer NAMM-the P105 that looks and sounds good at under a grand.

Get a Yamaha with the GH action (P155, P140, etc.). Better piano sounds than the Casio and Korg, and the action is plenty heavy.

:thu:

Here for the gear.

I was recently given a Fatar Studio 900, that has become my main studio controller and practice keyboard. Has a nice heavy touch, and it makes my other boards feel very light.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I do like the Korg 250 but would prefer the P155 over it and certainly the Casio.

I play my friend's P155 at least once a month at a jam session doing trio stuff and backing up lame singers. While I'd prefer the CP50, sound wise, the 155 works fine.

+1

P155 best action for practice under a grand.

I'll look into the P155, though as new it's a bit more than I'm willing to shell out at the moment. Maybe if a used one pops up. Won't be checking out the Casio today... I think I ate something off yesterday.

Maybe you can find an old RMI Piano or maybe an old Kustom 88.

I'm not sure what an old POS Rhodes would sell for in Europe. I think they may have held too much value.

If you just want to heavy keyboard for little money just check all the places you can find used gear and see what you find in the way of old heavy action pre-digital stage pianos.

I suppose an upright spinet piano is out of the question.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Get a Yamaha with the GH action (P155, P140, etc.). Better piano sounds than the Casio and Korg, and the action is plenty heavy.

:thu:

Have to agree, especially if the goal is to improve your playing technique. There are several factors just as important as the weight of the keys, such as key travel depth, consistency & speed of action response and the key pivot points, and the Yamaha GH action pretty much excels at all of them. The good news is this action is available as far back as the P-80, so you do not necessarily need to buy a new Yamaha EP to gain these benefits. Also, headphone jacks are your friends when practicing with room mates!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

The good news is this action is available as far back as the P-80, so you do not necessarily need to buy a new Yamaha EP to gain these benefits.

Wait a minute, does this mean that the action in P80, P85, P95 et al is also a good call? There are plenty of these floating around for a lot more feasible sum than the single used P155 that's currently available here.

And in this case, which of the three listed older P models would be objectively preferable?

I'd suggest the P-155 too, as the best balance between sound, action, portability etc. I used to play one for reharsals at my drummer's place. The action on some "P" series (90, 120, 140, plus the CP33) is similar, but not identical, and according to word of mouth, some of those actions tend to wear after years of use. Other Yamaha "P" series pianos (85,95) have completely different actions, usually worse.

You could also try some of the Kawai top-of-the line stage pianos: The MP8, MP8II, MP10, or even the older MP9000 and MP9500. In my opinion, they have superb actions, good enough for serious piano practice. Cons are: No onboard amplification, and they weight a ton.

Among the Fatar/Studiologic line, the best "piano" action is from the Numa White and Numa Black (same action but real wooden keys). They are just controllers, however; you have to provide an external sound source.

Wait a minute, does this mean that the action in P80, P85, P95 et al is also a good call? There are plenty of these floating around for a lot more feasible sum than the single used P155 that's currently available here.

And in this case, which of the three listed older P models would be objectively preferable?

Steer clear of the P95/P85/P70. They have the GHS action which is not the same as the GH action on the P80/P90/P120/P140/P155/CP33/CP300/CP50.

Steer clear of the P95/P85/P70. They have the GHS action which is not the same as the GH action on the P80/P90/P120/P140/P155/CP33/CP300/CP50.

Agreed. I owned a Yamaha P-80 for several years before I bought my Motif ES 8, and it's GH action was fast, very uniform in response and eminently playable. The GHS action is a lightweight version basically designed to keep the overall weight down, It's also in the Mox 8 as well. Here is an FAQ from Yamaha regarding the different actions.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/p-80/330/6575/

Ultimately I sold my P-80 because of short samples and the lack of clavinet, but it was still a great practice board. I would probably look at the P-90 if money is too tight to go directly for the P-155.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Our pleasure! This forum stands always ready to help. As for the P-80, if your focus is primarily on acoustic and electric piano sounds the P-80 should be fine. The P-90 still sounds great even by today's standards, especially in the studio. Whichever you decide, be sure to try it out before purchase because if it was owned by someone who banged on the keys before then you could still have problems. Fortunately I have seen a lot of Yamaha replacement 88 key GH action assemblies for around $160 on eBay.

Archived