Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1657319 - 04/15/06 06:04 AM Paintings on the walls in the studio (???)
leftalive Offline

Loc: USA
Greetings,

I'm in the process of planning out the building and installation of some bass traps and the like for my mid (11x10) sized room. I have some paintings hanging that I'd rather not move if I don't have to. Three of them are 2' x 2 1/2', and one is 2 1/2' x 3 1/2'. All are 2" thick gallery canvas and each are hanging in the center of one of the four walls. I had planned on building traps for the corners of the room, as well as a few for the walls where I had room. Could the paintings be used as absorbers of some kind as well? I was thinking of putting a sheet of 703 in the back of each canvas. Would the surface of the painting just reflect everything, or would I actually get some use out of this idea?

cheers

#1657320 - 04/15/06 10:31 AM Re: Paintings on the walls in the studio (???)
dknightd Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Probably not much point in putting anything behind your artwork. Likely the artwork, or the covering, will reflect highs and mids, and the 2" behind them is not enough to do any bass absorbtion.

#1657321 - 04/15/06 11:24 AM Re: Paintings on the walls in the studio (???)
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
> Could the paintings be used as absorbers of some kind as well? I was thinking of putting a sheet of 703 in the back of each canvas. <

That might help a little. But so little as to not be worth the bother. Since the paintings are mostly out of the way in the middle of the walls I'd just leave them alone. You should start with the corner traps, and RFZ panels as DK suggested, and then see where that takes you.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer