Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1650469 - 11/23/04 05:11 PM Dormer windows
bluetrane11 Offline

I have a room roughly 13'x 13'x 7.5' one of the walls has a dormer window in it that is roughly 4' wide 2.5' deep and 7.5' high. This dormer window area is where i have placed my desk and monitors so that it faces out of the dormer into the open room. Should i put absorbtion on the sides of my monitors and behind my monitors? The walls behind and on the side are tongue and groove pine. Thanks

#1650470 - 11/23/04 05:49 PM Re: Dormer windows
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Blue,

> Should i put absorbtion on the sides of my monitors and behind my monitors? <

The most important surfaces to cover are those at the first reflection points. See the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Then find the sidebar "Creating an RFZ" in the Table of Contents.

--Ethan

#1650471 - 11/23/04 06:45 PM Re: Dormer windows
bluetrane11 Offline

Thanks for the reply Ethan. I have read the FAQ numerous times. I guess i better way to put my question is when is absorbtion necessary behind and on the direct sides of the monitors. Thanks again

#1650472 - 11/24/04 03:31 PM Re: Dormer windows
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Blue,

> when is absorbtion necessary behind and on the direct sides of the monitors. <

When, after treating the first reflection points, you feel there's still too much ambience in the room. But there's nothing special about the front areas you mentioned, unless we're talking about a surround environment. Also, sometimes a little more mid/high frequency treatment is added to the front of the room than other places. But this is a matter of taste, not science, and many pro studios aim to get away with as little mid/high frequency absorption as possible.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer