Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1650307 - 11/04/04 09:42 AM Can a room be too large?
Jim E Offline

Loc: Charlottesville, Virginia
In your article you mention that speakers are designed for flat response in anechoic conditions. This implies that the "ideal" would be no reflections from anywhere. After determining that the space for a dedicated listening room is too small, I'm left with a space which is ~29' long and averages 25' wide (varies from 29' wide to 15' wide) and ~9.5' high (actual volume is ~6,000 cf) and is also open through a wide, open stairwell to another even larger volume.

I can place my speakers well away from side walls (~8 to 10' away) and 21' to 29' from the back wall. Should I be concerned that I will have little or no bass in this configuration, or will I experience something nearer to the speaker's design specs? If there is a problem, are there treatments (short of building more walls) that could fix the problem?

Thanks so much,

Jim E

#1650308 - 11/04/04 01:27 PM Re: Can a room be too large?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Jim,

> In your article <

Which article? I've written nearly 100 of them!

I'm not sure I know what you're really asking. It's true that a loudspeaker's frequency response is flattest in a totally absorbent room, but that doesn't mean this is the goal in a listening room! It's also true that at low frequencies you want as much absorption as possible, to minimize the response skewing reflections. But I set a "crossover" frequency at about 300 Hz above which you definitely do not want 100% absorption.

> Should I be concerned that I will have little or no bass in this configuration, or will I experience something nearer to the speaker's design specs? <

In a totally absorbent room the response is flattest, including the bass range. And flat means the bass is present, not lacking.

> are there treatments (short of building more walls) that could fix the problem? <

Yes, bass traps.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer