Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1650175 - 10/25/04 07:09 AM Acoustic adjustments to cold war bunker
Peder B. Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Ethan

I'm about to suit a room for music. It's an bunker from the cold war and obvious it's
constructors did not favour acoustics in their design! Rather strength and resistance to
nuculear radiation! Luckily it newer got to proof its worth and now we are going to play music
in it, that's a way better purpose.

Two questions that I have concerning the bass traps you recommend building in your very fine article.

The room is like a parabolic dish and we have found that there are a very big problem with standing
waves. The energy is centered along the wall by the floor and at about 2 to 2.5 meters height
in middle of the room.

So we need to make some bass traps at those spots, I I'm thinking something like this

But this implies that the back of the bass traps are not the wall itself, but a thicker and heavier plate
(chip board or plywood). Will this infect the traps ability the dampend the low frequency sound waves?

The second question is about the size of the design. Whitin which dimensions of the trap (the 1/8" and 1/4"
plywood board in front) will it be effective?

Hmmm..Now I'm at it, Another idea is

simply just filling fiberglass along the wall, do you think this idea will give a good result?

Anyway thanks for sharing knowledge, that is a very good thing:-)

--Peder Bacher

#1650176 - 10/25/04 01:22 PM Re: Acoustic adjustments to cold war bunker
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Hi Peder,

> The room is like a parabolic dish <

Yes, that's the worst shape possible.

> simply just filling fiberglass along the wall <

I agree. In a room like that I would use rigid fiberglass instead of wood panel traps. You need fiberglass overhead to reduce the focusing effect that happens under a dome, so just make that very thick to extend the absorption lower in frequency.

--Ethan

#1650177 - 10/26/04 07:32 PM Re: Acoustic adjustments to cold war bunker
Peder B. Offline

Loc: Denmark
Thanks. I'll try it out and post back on my experiences :-)

--Peder

Moderator:  Ethan Winer