Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1649121 - 07/28/04 12:53 PM Treating a day care room
Tim Mayock Offline

Loc: Granby Ct.
I have a project I have taken on to treat a day care facility a friend’s wife works at.
The room is 36’ x 36’x 21’ it has a carpeted floor and plaster everything else. The ceiling is slightly concave with a 2’ variance.

The problem is that the teachers are leaving with headaches from the sound. I listened to the room and it sounds like an upper mid problem. And the kids voices make me think it is not a lower frequency thing. I did the mode calc and it shows problems in the 100-300hz areas. Could lower harmonics of a child’s voice be an issue here.

My plan was to treat the walls with 2” 703 in 4x8’ 4x4’ and 2x4’ sizes where I can. One major problem is how to work with attaching eyebolts to plaster. Does anyone have good prodedures for working with older plaster?

The ceiling is going to be harder to address, but I’m guessing that this being concave and having a carpeted floor is less of the problem is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Tim Mayock

Hear The Mayocks on Rhapsody and Itunes

#1649122 - 07/28/04 01:53 PM Re: Treating a day care room
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Tim,

> I listened to the room and it sounds like an upper mid problem <

Yeah, this has nothing to do with modes, and is simply excessive ambience. The focusing effect of the ceiling isn't helping either.

Your idea to use rigid fiberglass is correct, and you have two choices: Either come up with a way to wrap it and hang it yourself, or buy commercial panels where that's already worked out for you. Either way you'll need to use Molly bolts or something similar to attach the panels to the walls and ceiling.

Also, I suggest you start with the ceiling rather than the walls. That keeps the panels out of the way so kids won't bang into them. Then if more absorption is still needed you can start near the tops of the walls and work downward.

--Ethan

#1649123 - 07/28/04 03:24 PM Re: Treating a day care room
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't know how it works in small rooms, but in arenas and large ballrooms, there are often sheets hanging DOWN as well as horizontally.

One thing that you can do to ease the installation, is to make a 'tray' to hold the panels. Make the tray from 1/4" lauan or MDF, with the sides of 1/2" lumber. Paint them to match the walls, or paint them in various primary colors for the 'Daycare" look. This tray gives you a base to which to glue the fiberglas, a secure frame to bolt through, and sides that hide the often awkward corner wraps around the fiberglas panels.

If you use muslin to cover the fiberglas: A Daycare project could be to have the kids paint scenes on the muslin. (Before you cut and fit it.) Roll out the bolt of cloth on the floor, let them paint it up, let it dry, roll it back up, and take it to the shop to cut and fit around the panels. Just a thought, but it then involved the kids in the change, and gives them some ownership in the change.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#1649124 - 07/29/04 12:32 PM Re: Treating a day care room
Jabbaz Offline

Most inexpensive solution is duct tape \:\)

I'm horrible, I know...

#1649125 - 07/29/04 10:51 PM Re: Treating a day care room
Rod Gervais Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central Village, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:
One thing that you can do to ease the installation, is to make a 'tray' to hold the panels. Make the tray from 1/4" lauan or MDF, with the sides of 1/2" lumber. Paint them to match the walls, or paint them in various primary colors for the 'Daycare" look. This tray gives you a base to which to glue the fiberglas, a secure frame to bolt through, and sides that hide the often awkward corner wraps around the fiberglas panels.

If you use muslin to cover the fiberglas: A Daycare project could be to have the kids paint scenes on the muslin. (Before you cut and fit it.) Roll out the bolt of cloth on the floor, let them paint it up, let it dry, roll it back up, and take it to the shop to cut and fit around the panels. Just a thought, but it then involved the kids in the change, and gives them some ownership in the change.
One thought here folks.........

Be carefull with the assembly....... the amount of 1/4" plywood mentioned might just exceed the allowable flamable finishes in the room according to the Life Safety Code....

In addition - the fabric must be fire retardant - and if you allow the children to paint it - you would have to get certification from the manufacturer that this would not effect the rating.

Tim, you have to keep ion mind here that you're dealing with a public facility - and the local fire marshall should be a part of the process just to make certain you do not put anyone (including your financial future) in jepordy.

DO it by the book my friend.

Sincerely,

Rod

#1649126 - 07/29/04 11:23 PM Re: Treating a day care room
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Rod,

You are correct in that you have to go by the book. I'm not familiar with the Life Saftey Code, though.

Painted lumber? I thought that this was okay in any facility.

Paint used in day care would be water-based and non-flamable. (Just as it is in the threater.)

Of course, the fabric would have to be flame proofed (which is cheap and no big deal) and the Fire Marshall might want to do a burn test on a piece of the bolt. Normal stuff.

All good points.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Moderator:  Ethan Winer