Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1649080 - 07/22/04 08:20 PM Membrane material for bass traps
RL8 Offline

Hi Ethan. I have found your information regarding bass traps to be truly fascinating. I would like to try constructing traps based on your plans and am wondering if it is important to use plywood for the membranes. Would particle board or fiber board, which appears to be similar to the material used for pegboard (minus the holes, of course) work as well?

Should the membrane be parallel to the back of the trap or should it be installed at an angle, say from top to bottom or side to side?

Also, if I were to build traps that are not using the existing wall for the back, is there an ideal thickness for the wood to be used for the back? Should the back be plywood or would particle board suffice? Thank you.

#1649081 - 07/22/04 08:25 PM Re: Membrane material for bass traps
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I used 1/4 and 1/8th inch lauan for the various membranes on my traps.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#1649082 - 07/23/04 12:32 PM Re: Membrane material for bass traps
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
RL,

> Would particle board or fiber board <

I have heard of people using Masonite and other materials, but I can't say how well that would work. It will probably work if you get material with the correct density. But as Bill explained, it's easy enough to get plywood the right thickness. So why go to all the trouble to build traps and risk having them not work as well as they should?

> Should the membrane be parallel to the back of the trap or should it be installed at an angle <

It probably doesn't matter.

> is there an ideal thickness for the wood to be used for the back? <

Yes - as thick and rigid as possible. Use at least 3/4 inch plywood or MDF, and also add cross braces every few feet to ensure the back doesn't flex.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer