Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1649036 - 07/19/04 02:08 PM ideal room.
Thor_thor Offline

Loc: Norway
I am currently renovating/finishing a room that was initially constructed as a small production room.

It was not made by qualified acousticians but still.
The room is made as a floating shell from plaster plates with cavities to surrounding walls filled with rockwool. The floor is made with plywood. There are no paralell surfaces in the room which measures front 3.0m x side 4.25 m x back 3.75 x side 3.50. where one (right front) corner is 90 degrees.
Height in front is 2.15m and 2.30 at the back.

The only acoustic treatment other than this is carpet tiles on the floor, and 8cm rigid glassfibermats that cover almost the entire backwall, and quite a bit of the front behind the monitor position. Three of the corners are taken up by a door and small (double frame) windows.
The room has a very even but not comfortable frequency response and no ringing save for bass problems.

The problem: bass cancelations make bass response in the listening position extremely uneven. with a huge peak centered as low as 51 hz and several ripples as we move up in the spectrum. The last major dip is at 402 hz. There is a large bass buildup as we move to the back of the room.

The question: I would assume that the solution to this problem would be to create bass traps, but considering the asymetrical nature of the room, lack of corners, and the fact that this would mean tearing down existing damping I am looking for advice as to what would be a good implementation. Would a it be a fair assesment to remove some of the fiberglass on the back wall and replace them with panel bass traps, use available floor and ceiling corners for regular bass traps as well as the one free corner? Any special considerations to make in an asymetrical room?

My budget is as always, limited but not non-existent.

thank you for your exellent insight and informative site and articles.

And for any replies \:\)

#1649037 - 07/19/04 04:47 PM Re: ideal room.
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Thor,

First, if you haven't yet read it, see the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

> 8cm rigid glassfibermats that cover almost the entire backwall, and quite a bit of the front ... remove some of the fiberglass on the back wall and replace them with panel bass traps <

8 cm is about 3 inches thick, and having 3 inches of rigid fiberglass on the rear wall is good. I suggest you keep that there, and also add more across whatever corners you do have. This includes the corners where the tops of the walls meet the ceiling. You could build wood panel traps, but in a room that size I think you'll get better results simply by adding more rigid fiberglass.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer