Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1649004 - 07/17/04 09:23 PM Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Southern WV, USA
Hi Ethan,

I'm using ETF software to try an optimize my monitor and acoustic treatment placements.

This time I decided to run some tones just to see how 'flat' things are today. I immediately noticed that I can't hear a thing over 14KHz.

My first thought was - now I don't have to worry about shelling out $$$ for Adams and their ribbon tweeter technology \:D

My second thought is - well I don't know what to think yet...

This seems to be more of the 'cupping of the hands' thing we talked about in another thread - outside ear response because of physical shape, now it's inner ear response. My own individual hearing response is from about 30Hz to 14KHz as far as I can tell with the tones...and I'm betting it's not flat at all (I can barely hear 13.9KHz) and has it's own peaks and valleys.

I guess I'll have to think about this - I don't know how much I want to worry about this 3rd possible variable in the room vs monitors equation...argh

#1649005 - 07/17/04 09:33 PM Re: Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Kinda' like the old question...

...if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound...?

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1649006 - 07/18/04 11:44 AM Re: Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Kylen,

> I immediately noticed that I can't hear a thing over 14KHz. <

How did ETF allow you to determine that? Or do you have a source of steady tones?

> My own individual hearing response is from about 30Hz to 14KHz as far as I can tell with the tones <

Are you sure it's not your loudspeakers? What kind do you have?

> I can barely hear 13.9KHz) and has it's own peaks and valleys. <

If you play 13.9 KHz and the level changes as you move around, that's due to standing waves in the room, not your ears.

--Ethan

#1649007 - 07/18/04 03:19 PM Re: Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi Ethan... \:\(
I took the loudspeakers out of the equation by running ETF, Minirator, and Adobe Audition tones thru a set of Senn-HD600 and Beyer DT770/80 headphones...

The loudspeakers I'm using are a new set of Event ASP8 monitors.

I guess the thing to do is drag the wife up here and see what she can hear since I've got a few miles on her... \:D

#1649008 - 07/18/04 04:58 PM Re: Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Naaaa...not the wife...
...instead try a cat or dog.

If they like to hang in the studio...happily sleeping while you do mixes...then you know the mix is well balanced.

They wife could be bised to the particular style of music...pets don't seem to care about style...either the mix is happenin'....or not. \:D

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1649009 - 07/18/04 05:39 PM Re: Thoughts on room acoustics, monitors, and hearing range ?
kylen Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
Naaaa...not the wife...
...instead try a cat or dog.

hehe, do you where can I borrow some little kitty headphones \:D

Moderator:  Ethan Winer