Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1648831 - 06/30/04 09:46 PM Starting From Scratch
C.T.B.B. Offline

Loc: Minnesota
We are in the process of building a new house, they should be done with putting up rafters when I get home tonight, done shingling by this weekend. (Hopefully) In the downstairs there is a section approx. 24 x 32 that will be mine for a woodshop and a listening room, with a small hallway along one side to allow acces to the utility room. I have yet to decide how much space to dedicate to either of the rooms. Right now there is nothing but a sand floor waiting for the infloor heating tubes to be installed, which will have concrete over it, two outside walls forming an "L" that are poured concrete and will be part of the listening room, and a load bearing wall running the length of the section that I had them make with a 2x6 sole plate with 2x4 studs offset to allow two seperate, decoupled walls. I may weave Soundblok, or an equivlent, through the studs before insulating and sheetrocking. I intend on making double sheetrock/drywall walls on the inside of the rooms, offset with a 1x2 to allow some dead air space in between the wall sections. The ceiling is currently open 18" floor joists which will be stuffed with insulation and double drywalled also. I'm looking for any other suggestions regarding walls, ceilings, sound isolation, etc. before I start to do any further work on the rooms. I've played a bit with the ModeCalc program looking for modes with different sized rooms, nothing definite yet. I'm trying to keep sound from the shop and listening room escaping into the rest of the house. Also intend on isolating the HVAC ducts by both suspending them and insulating them with foam from any contact with the joists/walls, and sealing any seams/outlets with caulk. What else do I need to remember at this early stage in the design/building of such a room?

#1648832 - 07/01/04 02:40 PM Re: Starting From Scratch
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
CT,

> there is a section approx. 24 x 32 ... I've played a bit with the ModeCalc program <

That's certainly the best place to start. A lot of room sizes and shapes can sound good, but the main thing to aim for is as large a space as you can manage, while keeping the ratio close to one of the recommended ratios.

> I may weave Soundblok, or an equivlent, through the studs before insulating and sheetrocking. <

Don't bother. You'll get better results and for less money by simply adding another layer of sheetrock.

> I intend on making double sheetrock/drywall walls on the inside of the rooms, offset with a 1x2 to allow some dead air space in between the wall sections. <

Yes, that's good, and dense vinyl will not help further. But be sure to fill the cavity between the walls with fluffy fiberglass.

--Ethan

#1648833 - 07/01/04 09:21 PM Re: Starting From Scratch
C.T.B.B. Offline

Thanks Ethan. Any recommendations on how to divide up the area into the two rooms, listening and woodshop? I don't want to make the shop so small that ripping a 4x8 sheet means I have to move things around to fit it, but I also want the listening room as big as possible.

Good to hear on the Soundblok, it's rather spendy and money that could be put to good use elsewhere. There are bedrooms directly above both rooms, will double walls with fluffy insulation give me enough isolation there? I won't be listening at 110 db all the time, though since I haven't yet gotten a SPL meter, I can't say with certainty what levels I usually prefer to listen to. Sometimes fairly loud though. Rock, jazz, classical, so things with some good bottom end.

I've been a frequent reader here since getting steered this direction by some of the nice folks at the Klipsch board, though not a frequent poster. Nice of you to take the time out of your day to help out us poor, struggling acoustical technician wannabes. Thanks again, sure I'll be asking more as the room progresses.

#1648834 - 07/02/04 12:21 PM Re: Starting From Scratch
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
CT,

> Any recommendations on how to divide up the area into the two rooms, listening and woodshop? <

Only you can decide that. I have no idea how large a space you need to rotate a 4x8 sheet comfortably. \:D

> There are bedrooms directly above both rooms <

As long as nobody's sleeping while you're playing music, you're home free. Otherwise, being directly overhead is likely to be a problem.

> will double walls with fluffy insulation give me enough isolation there? <

I'm not much of an isolation expert so I can't say for sure what you can expect. Maybe Rod Gervais will chime in - Rod's the real expert with this stuff.

--Ethan

#1648835 - 07/02/04 08:31 PM Re: Starting From Scratch
C.T.B.B. Offline

I guess I already knew your answer to the room size question, not sure why I bothered with it. I will wait patiently and watch for Rod to catch this thread and hopefully offer some advice. It will realistically be fall before I can get started on the room, we're doing all of the trim/paint/flooring except carpet in the house, SWMBO wouldn't take kindly to me working on my private retreat before we had shower heads and crown moldings installed.

#1648836 - 07/08/04 10:12 PM Re: Starting From Scratch
C.T.B.B. Offline

Just a bump in the hopes that Rod will see this.

Moderator:  Ethan Winer