Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1648799 - 06/30/04 11:24 AM speration in horn session
vibes Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all:
Have a question..welcome thoughts on execution..
Producing a horn session in a small project studio.
Alreaday recorded a guide piano and the percussion section(this will eventually be a marching band!)
Next session will feature my first attempt at a legit style horn section featuring 2 trumpets,teno trombone,bass trombone and tuba.

I have gobos and a few max walls but want to get some ideas here please..
I plan on having the 2 trumpets together and then the bones and seperating the tuba..
All will play together yet without iso areas just want to have a little control in the mix later..
Most important question is this..
If I set up the max wall or gobos in between players thats fine but would you recommend putting gobos behind the players as well(my control room is the same as recording) to keep things really clear..or would it make sense to have the front facing horns play to the gobo(yes I know that kills the room reflection)..
A few days later we will record the woodwinds..flutes and clarinets..just could not fit everyone here at one time!
Thanks for the thoughts
regards
vibes

#1648800 - 06/30/04 11:25 AM Re: speration in horn session
vibes Offline

Loc: USA
Sorry thats seperation!thanks

#1648801 - 06/30/04 01:56 PM Re: speration in horn session
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Vibes,

> would you recommend putting gobos behind the players as well <

Most players prefer to be in the same room with no gobos or other isolation devices. Without knowing the size of your room I can't say if this is practical or not. But you should try that first. If you can get the players balanced well and sounding good in the room, you should aim to capture that intact.

--Ethan

#1648802 - 07/01/04 12:45 AM Re: speration in horn session
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
For separation without gobos, go for figure-8 microphones. Then you can play around with the dampening behind the microphone.

#1648803 - 07/01/04 11:33 AM Re: speration in horn session
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I would never (well... maybe not NEVER...)seperate horns. And though I have done many solo horns in my basement studio, I would not record a section there. Simply not enough air. I might record them on the patio outside, facing the house, and adjusting their distance and the mic distance from the wall. But I'd probably try to borrow a larger space. Church rec room, community center space.... there are a lot of choices for one-shots around.

A horn section sounds really great in a larger room, but I've never been happy with the sound in smaller spaces.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Moderator:  Ethan Winer