Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1648609 - 06/12/04 06:14 AM Where do I Install Gaskets, and Drywall?
ENIGMACODE Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Hello Home Studio Builders

I'm building a rehearsal room - my main concerns are absorption and isolation of sound (it's a free standing room built within my garage) There are NO contacting surfaces between the two rooms. The inside rehearsal room is completely free standing except for the concrete on the floor below the wooden subfloor. As I've read many of the posts here, I'd like to confirm a few things and cut to the quick in regard to the proper installation of gasket material and drywall:

Bottom wall plates (of the wall structure), should be fastened directly to the subfloor perhaps with some construction glue (with no gasket in between) Correct?

BUT

Gasket Material (should) be installed along the top of the wall plate where the cieling joists are fastened - Correct?

Drywall questions:
When installing drywall, should the drywall cover the 1/8" or 1/4" gap at the top of the wall where the gasket is?
OR should you actually leave a 1/8" or 1/4" space and apply no tape or joint compound leaving the gap exposed?

AND

It's my understanding that caulking SHOULD be applied all along the floor where the floor and walls meet BEFORE you apply drywall Correct?

Thanx for your help
Best Regards
Michael Fraticelli

#1648610 - 06/12/04 02:17 PM Re: Where do I Install Gaskets, and Drywall?
Rod Gervais Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central Village, CT
Michael,

I already answered this at another site you posted it at - however - just for the benefit of anyone here who doesn't visit that site - I'll post it again.

Quote:
Bottom wall plates (of the wall structure), should be fastened directly to the subfloor perhaps with some construction glue (with no gasket in between) Correct?
You do not need construction adhesive between the bottom plate and the floor. The seal at this location will be handled later during construction.

Quote:
Gasket Material (should) be installed along the top of the wall plate where the ceiling joists are fastened - Correct?
You don't need this if you really have totally seperate construction. A true room within a room has it's own ceiling joist - and (seeing as this is not connected to the structure outside) you gain nothing by this.

Quote:
When installing drywall, should the drywall cover the 1/8" or 1/4" gap at the top of the wall where the gasket is? OR should you actually leave a 1/8" or 1/4" space and apply no tape or joint compound leaving the gap exposed?
Drywall shoud be installed as follows:

Install the 1st ceiling layer...... leave this 1/4 to 3/8" from the wall framing. Caulk this joint.

Install 1st wall layer...... leave this 1/4" to 3/8" from the wall/ floor/ ceiling - caulk this joint...... repeat this for the remaining 3 walls......

Apply a 1st coat of joint compound and tape to all joints except corners (those have the caulk)

Repeat the above........ just make certain that at the corner joints you are going to tape that the caulk is slightly recessed in the corners.

When you apply the 2nd (and subsequent layers if you're using more than 2) make certain to stagger the joints in the drywall so that you never have a joint directly over another joint below. Work for a minimum of a 10" lap for all seam locations.

This is the best possible isolation assembly you can acheive with wall construction.

Quote:
It's my understanding that caulking SHOULD be applied all along the floor where the floor and walls meet BEFORE you apply drywall
Correct?
Nope......... do exactly what I've outline above.

Rod

#1648611 - 06/12/04 04:56 PM Re: Where do I Install Gaskets, and Drywall?
ENIGMACODE Offline

Rod Gervais -THANK YOU \:\)

Ok - lemme address your last response

You mentioned:
"You don't need this if you really have totally seperate construction. A true room within a room has it's own ceiling joist - and (seeing as this is not connected to the structure outside) you gain nothing by this."

So then NO gaskets are neccessary (floor plate or top plate)
Just go ahead and assemble the room conventionally with coated screws - but if I want to add a little glue between the plates - no accoustical harm done - and I may add a little strength by doing so?

You mentioned:
"Drywall shoud be installed as follows-Apply a 1st coat of joint compound and tape to all joints except corners (those have the caulk)"

"Repeat the above........ just make certain that at the corner joints you are going to tape that the caulk is slightly recessed in the corners."

Rod
Unfortunately I can't afford the labor, room, or expense of applying more than ONE layer of drywall .....
Soooo - should I caulk or tape the corner joints?

Should I caulk the corners on the floor (where the walls meet the floor?)

*I FORGOT TO MENTION EARLIER:
I'm naturally going to have to treat the entire inside room accoustically with Auralex Panels on the cieling, Bass Traps if necceessary, and was thinking of covering about 60% of the walls with R11 3 1/2" unfaced AND
covering that with fabric .....

Best Regards
Michael Fraticelli
rocknroll@ucwphilly.rr.com

#1648612 - 06/12/04 06:03 PM Re: Where do I Install Gaskets, and Drywall?
Rod Gervais Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central Village, CT
Michael,

I don't have the energy to answer this again, please go to the other site and read my post.

Thanks,

Rod

#1648613 - 06/13/04 12:27 AM Re: Where do I Install Gaskets, and Drywall?
ENIGMACODE Offline

Yes Rod .....

I've responded to your last post also on the other site...

Best Regards
Michael Fraticelli
rocknroll@ucwphilly.rr.com

Moderator:  Ethan Winer