Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1648502 - 05/28/04 07:04 PM How's this for a new idea?
amnesiacjimmy Offline

Loc: UK
Just a thought that occurred to me. Why not stack masses of rigid fibreglass right behind me when mixing, that extend right across the width of the room. That way there is a massive air gap and the long bass waves get trapped on the way out and on the way back too...just a thought...

Dave

#1648503 - 05/28/04 08:36 PM Re: How's this for a new idea?
Jabbaz Offline

If isolation isn't an issue, would this not make an awsome control room:

Set up your monitors outside. Around them, build walls and a ceiling out of some material that would reflect mid/high frequencies but almost completely pass low frequencies. Then setup your RFZ and be done. You can't have better bass trapping than this can you (unless you find a way to suspend this setup high above the ground)??

I think I might build the first ever treehouse control room.

Dave

#1648504 - 05/29/04 08:52 AM Re: How's this for a new idea?
ozland Offline

Loc: Rye Australia
It might sound silly...but when I moved into my new house, and therefore new room...it all sounded weird as sh*t.....8^)

To ground myself again after much mucking around..I took my monitors out side and set em up and had a listen...they sounded great...8^)......

It was a fun and interesting experience...

Wiz

#1648505 - 05/29/04 03:01 PM Re: How's this for a new idea?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Dave,

> stack masses of rigid fibreglass right behind me when mixing, that extend right across the width of the room. <

Sure, if you have the available space to do that.

--Ethan

#1648506 - 05/29/04 07:31 PM Re: How's this for a new idea?
amnesiacjimmy Offline

Loc: UK
Hey thanks Ethan...I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this acoustic stuff a little bit...

Dave

Moderator:  Ethan Winer