Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646926 - 03/05/04 10:51 PM Bass Trap over Window?
caseyLA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hi...I have a question regarding placing a bass trap over my iso booth window when I'm mixing and don't need to see into the booth. In the mix position of the studio I'm working on, there will be a wall (standard drywall construction) to the left with the large 4'x4' double pane iso booth widow to the right. There is 12' between the wall and window, which are parallel. I thought about framing a 4" thick, 4'x4' rigid fiberglass trap and placing it over the window, then have it easily removable when I'm tracking. I could possibly angle it a little towards the back to deflect some of the higher frequencies to the rear of the room, as my main concern is direct reflections off the glass.

Would it be worth doing, or should I just pull a heavy curtain across the window? I suppose the window and booth would kinda act as a very large panel absorber without the fiberglass panel. Or would a 4" fiberglass panel spaced 4" from the window work better? Also, what should I do on the opposite wall to maintain the stereo image?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks
-casey
Los Angeles

#1646927 - 03/06/04 11:57 AM Re: Bass Trap over Window?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Casey,

> or should I just pull a heavy curtain across the window? <

I vote for a heavy curtain - and I mean heavy - because it's much easier to deal with. Also, bass traps are more effective in the room corners than on the middle of a side wall. Yes, four inches of rigid fiberglass is better than a curtain. But it's only a little better, and ergonomics is important too.

--Ethan

#1646928 - 03/08/04 05:50 AM Re: Bass Trap over Window?
caseyLA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, heavy curtain seems most practical. Unfortunately, the entire right side of the control room is taken up by the iso booth window and door, so if I did the curtain, the only space for a bass trap would be over the door. I suppose I could build a panel trap and attach it to the door.

If I did the curtain, how should I balance the room out on the other side? (The other side is free and clear).

Thanks for the input.

-casey
Los Angeles

#1646929 - 03/08/04 01:16 PM Re: Bass Trap over Window?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Casey,

> If I did the curtain, how should I balance the room out on the other side? <

I suppose with another curtain. You certainly want the mix position to be symmetrical, with similar surfaces to the left and right of you.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer