Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646918 - 03/05/04 02:35 PM placenemt of panel traps in corner
headley Offline

Ethan,

I was going to build some of your panel traps and was wondering the best way to place them in the corners of a room. Should I place 2 traps far into the corner so they actually overlap a small bit - one slightly behind the other? Or should I move both out of the corner 5 inches or so to avoid this overlap? Thanks.

Mark

#1646919 - 03/05/04 03:05 PM Re: placenemt of panel traps in corner
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Mark,

I'd pack them into the corner as close as possible. The ones in my studio just barely touch at the trap corners. But if one trap's corner is half an inch behind the corner of the adjacent trap, that's fine too. It's really not that critical. The main absorption happens on the main part of the panel, in from the edges a bit.

--Ethan

#1646920 - 03/05/04 05:06 PM Re: placenemt of panel traps in corner
joeq Offline

In my room many of the corners are "used up" in one way or another. There is a spot where the wall and ceiling meet that has a 'bevel' a short run where the wall turns 45 degrees before it hits the ceiling

(wall 90 > bevel 45 > ceiling 0)

I think its just a hollow sheet rock thing to hide the corner of the stairwell that would otherwise poke into the room a tiny bit.

If I placed a bass trap across this corner would it be less effective than the same trap placed across a corner than 'went all the way back'?

#1646921 - 03/05/04 05:42 PM Re: placenemt of panel traps in corner
MP Hall of Fame Member

Joe,

> If I placed a bass trap across this corner would it be less effective <

I really can't say for sure. What I can say is that only one bass trap will not be enough no matter where you put it. \:D

Are there no other corners in the entire room?

--Ethan

#1646922 - 03/05/04 08:23 PM Re: placenemt of panel traps in corner
joeq Offline

I do have some other corners available. I am just wondering if this beveled corner is a contender or if the fact that the corner is "filled in" makes it less of a candidate.

#1646923 - 03/05/04 10:33 PM Re: placenemt of panel traps in corner
MP Hall of Fame Member

Joe,

I can't say for sure as I've never actually tested that, but I suspect that won't be as good as a real corner.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer