Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646833 - 03/01/04 05:14 PM Question for Ethan
Taíno Offline
Gold Member

Loc: La Isla del Encanto - Puerto R...
Ethan, first, congratulations. This is a wonderful forum that we all needed. Second, sorry about my poor english.

I have a small room (12' x 14'), that i use to record. Tracking and mixing in the same room. After searching some info y decided to dead practicly all around. 3 sides are completely covered by 3" cheap foam (egg type). The other side is a closet with glass doors. I carpet the floor with a thin carpet and put some foam in ceiling. Not all, only in some spots where sounds reflecting affects.

What do you recommend to treat a small room? Do you think is a good idea dead a small room? I have artificial effects to add later in mix, but thinking in the mix process, is good to have a completly dead room? Thanks for your help.

#1646834 - 03/01/04 06:30 PM Re: Question for Ethan
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Taíno,

Your English is fine - certainly much better than my Spanish!

> What do you recommend to treat a small room? <

You should not make the room totally dead. Much better is to have a mix of live and dead surfaces. Also, making a room dead using cheap foam only is never a good idea because that affects only the higher frequencies. So the room sounds dead yet it's still boomy too.

For a good overview, read the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan

#1646835 - 03/01/04 07:48 PM Re: Question for Ethan
tonyl Offline

Loc: hudson nh
ethan, how is that cheap egg foam listed above? If you use it with bass traps that you mention. Will it work for mids and highs or just high's?

#1646836 - 03/02/04 12:56 PM Re: Question for Ethan
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Tony,

> how is that cheap egg foam listed above? If you use it with bass traps that you mention. Will it work for mids and highs or just high's? <

I have no idea because I don't know what type of foam Taíno has. In general, foam that is not specifically meant for acoustic use does not work very well. Even foam that is meant for acoustics is not as good as rigid fiberglass. That said, the two ways to make any absorber more useful at low frequencies are:

1. Make it thicker.

2. Space it away from the walls, and place it in the corners.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer