Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646778 - 02/28/04 04:20 PM Best isolation between ceiling and floor
d500 Offline

I just finished reading Ethan's acoustic treatment info on his web site. Is rigid fiberglass the best solution for isolating the basement ceiling from the floor above? I am planning on building a small studio in my unfinished basement and would like to isolate it as much as possible in the easiest way possible. Are there any good publications on building a small basement home studio?

#1646779 - 02/28/04 05:15 PM Re: Best isolation between ceiling and floor
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
D,

> Is rigid fiberglass the best solution for isolating the basement ceiling from the floor above? <

I'm afraid not. Rigid fiberglass does a fine job of treating the sound within the room, but it does little if anything to prevent sound from travelling between rooms.

Isolation is much more difficult to achieve than room treatment. The standard techniques are mass and decoupling. That is, you make the walls and ceiling as massive as possible with sheetrock, and you optionally build new walls and a new ceiling below the joists that hangs from shock absorbers or resilient channels which do the same thing.

> Are there any good publications on building a small basement home studio? <

I have "Building a recording studio" by Jeff Cooper which devotes all of Chapter 3 to isolation. This book is out of print, but I got mine from Elderly Books:

http://www.elderly.com/books/items/580-1.htm

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer