Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646665 - 02/26/04 07:10 PM Low Ceilings - basement studio treatment?
Dogfur Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: the last room on the left
Well since I am currently forehead deep in this let me throw out the ceremonial first pitch -

I have just finished putting in the floor (Armstrong laminate) of my basement recording room. It is roughly 16'4" X 12' with an additional
42" X 9' opening on one side leading up to the stairway. Finishing the ceiling (I used these: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/supersoundclip/supersoundclip.htm) brought it down to 7' 4".

It is ringing like crazy down there now and I can tell I'm going to need to do alot of acoustic treatment to get it under wraps - I am open to all suggestions.

Ethan, again welcome and thanks for participating!

Cheers,

Dogfur

#1646666 - 02/26/04 07:15 PM Re: Low Ceilings - basement studio treatment?
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
What did you have before you treated it?

Our drum orrm is about the same dimensions roughly, with cemet floor (which about 1/2 is covered in medium plie carpet) with stone walls(about 1/4 covered with diffusers) and wood ceiling(all except ove rthe area where the kit is placed is insulated with OC R-35.)

This room sounds pretty killer for drums, check out listen page for some examples.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#1646667 - 02/26/04 07:23 PM Re: Low Ceilings - basement studio treatment?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Fur,

> I have just finished putting in the floor <

In general, a reflective floor is a good thing, but in a small room it must be balanced with a fair amount of absorption on the ceiling. Have a look at the forum FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

In particular, see the sidebar "Hard floor, soft ceiling" which explains the many reasons a reflective floor is good. Then when you apply absorption to the ceiling, the ceiling will acoustically be identical to one that's infinitely high. And that's an even better thing!

> It is ringing like crazy down there now <

I bet! Besides the floor/ceiling reflections, I'm sure you also have a problem with reflections between the opposing walls. And that too is easily tamed with absorption.

--Ethan

#1646668 - 02/26/04 08:12 PM Re: Low Ceilings - basement studio treatment?
Dogfur Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: the last room on the left
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ethan Winer:

In general, a reflective floor is a good thing, but in a small room it must be balanced with a fair amount of absorption on the ceiling. Have a look at the forum FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Thanks - what an extremely valuable resource! I'll be diving in thoroughly before making any more moves (other than installing the doors, control room windows, etc...).

I was trying to figure out how to make a graphic diagram of the room to post - I guess the old qwerty keyboard options are all thats available for now. Is there any standardization or suggestions for this you could steer us toward?

Hey where02190;

how high is your ceiling? where in the room do you have the drums set up, and do you move the insulation on the ceiling?

Thanks,

Dogfur

#1646669 - 02/27/04 12:38 PM Re: Low Ceilings - basement studio treatment?
Ethan Winer Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Milford, CT, USA
Dogfur,

Woof indeed! \:D

> I was trying to figure out how to make a graphic diagram of the room to post <

You need a web site that can host your image, then you can put a link to the photo on that site in your message here. MusicPlayer is planning to switch to new forum software soon, but I don't know if they'll allow users to post images here.

--Ethan

Moderator:  Ethan Winer