Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1646581 - 07/25/05 07:45 PM Re: Music Player Forums
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas, TX. Estado De Mexico!
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Sidman:
Hi Nursers,

We have no plans to delete any of the forums.

The SSS and SSS Political Party, and the Nuestro Foro will both be archived and accessible for reference but closed to new posts.

.M
I know I'm asking too much, but it'll be nice to have an spanish forum...But who am I? \:D

Thanks for everything

#1646582 - 07/26/05 01:37 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Ameba Records Colombia Offline

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
I totally agree with Vilo...

Spanish speaking population is HUGE, and certainly deserves a dedicated forum... And in many ways I also agree with Forceman!

Rafael EscandOn desde Colombia

#1646583 - 07/26/05 08:39 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
I think our forums are a tremendous resource for players and I will support any efforts toward making it even more compatible with diverse groups... I enjoy GP as a long time subscriber and now forum member..I will continue to be a part of this community. Many thanks to the moderators for a job very well done!!!

#1646584 - 07/26/05 01:31 PM Re: Music Player Forums
Max Sidman Offline

Loc: The Bay Area
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, both the positive and the constructively critical. It all goes to the continual improvements of this community.

As far as adding new forums -- coyote suggested world instruments and Vilo has suggested a new Spanish-speaking forum -- we're open to new ideas and the resurrection of old ones, we just need to confirm the need for such forums and find moderators. Any volunteers?

At any rate, everyone's ideas and opinions are noted and we're totally open for further discussion.

Thanks again.

.M

#1646585 - 07/26/05 04:42 PM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Maybe it's already being worked on...

But can you rearrange the existing forums into a more logical or “flowing” order?
At the moment...they all seem kinda' scattered about.

I don't want to go out on a limb and suggest which forums should be up top and which should be toward the bottom...
...but you might consider putting the most active forums up top...or maybe the newest ones...or maybe...????... \:\)

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1646586 - 07/26/05 04:58 PM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

As far as new/other forums...well, I would only have as many as were required to host truly distinct and somewhat focused treads/topics/

I really hate those forum web sites that have dozens and dozens of forums that “step all over each other” and often cover the same things…ad nauseam.
Having the right amount of specialized forums will help keep things On-Topic and provide a truly unique experience as you move from forum to forum.
Also…it will help concentrate the members into several regularly active forums…rather than having dozens of forums, some with only the occasional post when someone drifts in…never to return.

Here's a new forum suggestion…

There was a time when “sign” (a.k.a. Han) and I suggested a possible Analog Forum…but it kinda’ fell by the wayside. Even though DAW/ITB is the norm…we all run into analog every day…and some of us still use it on a regular basis…be it analog tape…or analog gear in general.

I’m sure if no one else was interested…we wouldn’t mind “watching the Analog store” (though I haven’t talked to Han about it in quite awhile).

Han…you out there, guy?

#1646587 - 07/26/05 06:25 PM Re: Music Player Forums
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
Maybe it's already being worked on...

But can you rearrange the existing forums into a more logical or “flowing” order?
At the moment...they all seem kinda' scattered about.

I don't want to go out on a limb and suggest which forums should be up top and which should be toward the bottom...
...but you might consider putting the most active forums up top...or maybe the newest ones...or maybe...????... \:\)
I think the forum order is pretty good in that the headers that introduce each set of forums flow well. The most popular fora will always get lots of posts. Since my forum has been at the top there's already been an increase in posts, which is a good thing for the forum and collaboration amongst forumites in general ;\)

#1646588 - 07/26/05 07:32 PM Re: Music Player Forums
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Hi Guys,

and Vilo has suggested a new Spanish-speaking forum -- we're open to new ideas and the resurrection of old ones, we just need to confirm the need for such forums and find moderators. Any volunteers?

We need an spanish magazine, I know lots hispanic musicians tha want one.
;\)

#1646589 - 07/26/05 07:49 PM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by David Holloway:
I think the forum order is pretty good in that the headers that introduce each set of forums flow well.
I'm sure every forum would like to be on top, or towards the top...
...but what I'm getting it is that there are a few "core" MP forums...and then a bunch of "side" forums.

Without trying to lessen the importance of any "side" forums...I would think that the "core" MP forums should be at the top. The forums that are the basic identifying feature of MP…the forums that don’t exist anywhere else, just by the nature of their title/category.

As an example…something like “EQ Magazine Forum”…would only be found here at MP…and that, to me, would be a “core” forum. Whereas something like the “Tech Forum”…well, that’s more if a “side” forum that can be found on many other audio websites.

Now...which ones are the "core" forums and which are the "side" forums....???
Well...I'll let MP decide that...unless you guys wanna' put it to some membership vote. ;\)

Also…I’m a bit puzzled whey we have a “Biz” forum and also “The Studio Business Forum”…? Are they meant to be really different in any significant way…? If there is any difference in what they cover…it’s a rather thin line…but, I’m not looking to rain on anyone’s parade…just tossin’ out some suggestions as requested.

Same thing goes for that “Tech” forum I mentioned and the “David Frangioni: Studio Tech”….like, what’s the real difference…and, I have to ask…
... has anyone actually seen David on his forum in like…ages…???

Again…just trying to be constructive…because I really DO want to see the MP forums carry on…and there is a chance, that these forums could truly become On-Topic audio/music forums…something many others have lost, because they always succumb to the onslaught of Off-Topic threads.
At some audio websites...when an audio/music forum is getting 3-1 political threads/posts VS. relative topics…
...something’s wrong. \:\(
But who knows…maybe on the real political websites…their talkin’ audio…??? ;\)

#1646590 - 07/27/05 10:12 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Brittanylips Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
To their credit, Canned Bananas and CMP kept the forums going because they realized they were a sleeping giant. Now they've decided to wake the giant up, which is a good thing.
I agree with Forceman. I think CMP has made a mistake by letting the SSS and its band of merry moderators go. I don’t think CMP is waking up a sleeping giant, I think they lost their sleeping giant.

Strictly from a business point of view:

First, the SSS represents a pool of participants that CMP could have harvested for other forums and leveraged into other purposes. The SSS represents a userbase that’s now gone.

Second, CMP underestimates the power of informal marketing. A forum not explicitly tied in with their magazines, but generating exposure and interest among a larger population, is a much more effective way to grow their market than with a niche forum of self-identified magazine readers. It is precisely because SSS did not hit users over the head with the magazines, but regularly and informally generated tie-ins, that it provided leverage for growing their market.

Third, the caliber of participants in online audio forums rivals the caliber of audio magazine editors. In fact, one often becomes the other. Therefore, given the excellent caliber of audio forums, resources, and access to audio experts around the net, I don’t think a forum billing itself as an opportunity to communicate with an editor about a product the editor has fiddled with for a month is compelling. What is compelling is a community that congregates around the editor, but does not generally share information hierarchically, i.e. SSS.

Incidentally, I think that’s the secret of Craig’s online success. He's there to chill like everyone else, and the forum works because it’s a study hall, not a class.

Thus, if I were the CEO of CMP, I would have given the sleeping giant whatever it wanted to keep it on my particular hill, which wouldn't stop me from developing complementary forums that more explicitly integrate with core publishing.

However, since I'm not the CEO of CMP, but a mere drop of water in the ocean of cyberspace, I don't have to worry about that. I can happilly follow Craig to the deeper waters of the HC, where I'm sure he'll develop the SSS in ways that make a good thing even better. And I can continue to mix my metaphors to my heart's content over there.

I don’t think I’ll stick around here, but I wish you all the luck.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

#1646591 - 07/27/05 11:22 AM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

I don't think there is anything positive to be gained in delving further into the reasons why all those moderators left...or what shoulda'/coulda' been done to keep them here.

Sure...SSS was the "big gorilla in the MP cage"...but it wasn't the only gorilla.
And it's always interesting to see how dynamics change within a group when one or two members leave or join a group.

What some folks and I see here now...is a golden opportunity to mellow out, and better focus, these MP forums.
While I enjoy the occasional OT threads...my main reason for joining the MP forums over 5 years ago was for their audio/music focus.
If you weed out the HUGE amount of OT stuff that was/is flying on SSS...you will find that it really isn't as large a gorilla as it first appears.
Not to mention all the other OT forums and threads that now exist over on HC.

Hey...some people like posting on 10 Off-Topic threads for every 1 on-topic audio/music thread...and then there are sooooo many members that rarely posted anything audio/music related.
I guess for some folks...THAT is the main draw of forums...and I'm sure they can find that at HC, or at other forum web sites…where that is the norm.

But I certainly hope the new MP forums don't stray off in that direction again.
I would prefer them to stay on-topic most of the time.
It might seem a bit quieter/mellower going that route, rather than having a wide-open, “happy-hour” mood happening all the time…but in the long run...I think it will draw in more people who are serious and focused…
…on audio/music.

Heck…if I want to discuss world peace…or cancer cures…or NASCAR racing…etc…
…why do that on audio/music forums…?
I’m sure there WILL still be the occasional OT thread…
…but there’s no need for that to be a staple of audio/music forums…IMO.

Enjoy your time at HC!

#1646592 - 07/28/05 03:25 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Gato Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: COSTA RICA, Beauty of Nature.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gus Lozada:
I am very thankful to MP.com for having me as a "mod" during the last 4 years -do you ever realize how that helps on a resume?- and because even when "Nuestro Foro" did not really supported any magazine and did not make any difference sales or subscriptions-wise, they allowed us to live into their server. And that counts a lot for my community.
Well, I'd been a Guitar Player Mag buyer since 1993 and when I came here first time I was very happy to find the spanish forum with Gus and pals.

In the 90's we saw some Guitar Player magazines in spanish but that effort has gone. Now its time to keep at least a spanish forum here even I don´t belive closing Nuestro Foro and leaving Gus and us to Harmoy Central was the best idea.

Saddly I don´t feel the same here if I can not find my old pals in the "new spanish forum" (anyway I don´t have to much free time neither) so I will stay mostly in the "Original Nuestro Foro" in Harmony Central.

Thanks Music Player for your support, I'll keep buying Guitar Player 'cause is the the best guitar mag even you didn´t undertand that Nuestro Foro was very important for your consumers in Latinamerica.

#1646593 - 07/28/05 06:36 AM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Gato:
...even I don´t belive closing Nuestro Foro and leaving Gus and us to Harmoy Central was the best idea.
Folks...NO ONE...closed down these forums, forcing the moderators to leave for HC.

It's the other way around...

Craig decided to leave...and one by one some moderators decided to follow him.
Once that happened, it became academic, that some forums would have to be shut down, or reassigned.

I'm sure a Spanish forum will once again be possible...MP just needs to find the right moderator.

All you Spanish audio/music people...any volunteers?
I think Max Sidman has already asked...so step up to the plate. \:\)

#1646594 - 07/28/05 08:31 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Brittanylips Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
One last suggestion --

You may need to increase miroslav's medication just a tad.....

\:\)

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

#1646595 - 07/28/05 10:31 AM Re: Music Player Forums
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

I'm already fully medicated.
Otherwise...I would have a difficult time responding to certain posts with as much restraint and courtesy as I am doing right now. ;\)

By the way...what kind of medication are you folks talking to help you "blend in" with that schizophrenic bunch on HC? \:\)

#1646596 - 07/28/05 11:35 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Max Sidman Offline

Loc: The Bay Area
Ah yes, I did ask for volunteers to moderate a new Spanish-speaking fourm...and I'll gladly ask again:

Are there any MP forum users out there who are interested in running a Spanish-speaking forum? Please let me know via P.M./ e-mail and we'll get the ball rolling.

Like I said before, we're open to ideas, as long as we see a genuine interest and can find a trustworthy moderator.

.M

#1646597 - 07/28/05 08:33 PM Re: Music Player Forums
antimatter Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NY
How about an 'open mic' forum for OTs, similar to the ole SSS. Perhaps the mighty Tedster as mod?

And a big for the new mods at MP. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for these fine folks.

#1646598 - 07/28/05 10:35 PM Re: Music Player Forums
Bbach1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Gees, I go away for a week and barely recognize the place when I come back. Well, the Guitar forum was the main reason I was here and thus the Guitar Players Forum shall be it.

I'll bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

#1646599 - 07/29/05 07:52 AM Re: Music Player Forums
Gato Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: COSTA RICA, Beauty of Nature.
Quote:
Ah yes, I did ask for volunteers to moderate a new Spanish-speaking fourm...and I'll gladly ask again:

Are there any MP forum users out there who are interested in running a Spanish-speaking forum? Please let me know via P.M./ e-mail and we'll get the ball rolling.

Like I said before, we're open to ideas, as long as we see a genuine interest and can find a trustworthy moderator.

.M
It will be very hard to find a replacement for Gus as a moderator.

What you don't know (I guess) is that Gus is always traveling to Latinamerica and Europe, so all the forum members has had the oportunity to meet this dude in person.

He came here to Costa Rica and we had a great time playing live. He's doing the same in most countries.

Well, I wish you luck.

#1646600 - 07/29/05 09:22 PM Re: Music Player Forums
ViLo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gato:
Quote:

.M
It will be very hard to find a replacement for Gus as a moderator.

What you don't know (I guess) is that Gus is always traveling to Latinamerica and Europe, so all the forum members has had the oportunity to meet this dude in person.

He came here to Costa Rica and we had a great time playing live. He's doing the same in most countries.

Well, I wish you luck.
They are not trying to find a replacement for Gus, like you said, it'll be difficult, but they are trying to start a new spanish forum.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jim Quinn