Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1646262 - 07/18/05 10:27 PM I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
OK, so I'm back.

There is much to report.

Hmmm... when I left you all two months ago, things were getting a little crazy with Mr. Time(the producer.) To recap, we were tracking some tunes for an industry EP. He was planning to take these tunes to a few contacts to see what would "happen" for us.

Well, we finished those tracks, and, honestly, they sound better than anything we've ever done. No shit. Everything sounded fucking amazing.

Mr. Time took those four tunes around to his buddies, along with a few pictures. Believe it or not, he got some bites. For real.

Back in early May, he told me I'd need a month or so off from work in order to deal with this whole business. Yeah, I know... ME... I was to act as the "band rep," mainly because I am "that guy."

He was talking to people whose names rhyme with... ah, fuck it, he was talkin' some pretty famous people with a lot of money who were really interested in us. It was nuts... He was like, "OK, we need to be in New York on Monday for four meetings, and then we fly to Chicago on Thursday for three meetings. Next week, we'll need to be in LA."

I was shitting koala bears and kiwi fruit. I didn't have the loot for any of that shit, and I told him that... so he took some sort of advance to pay my way... that got me worried. I don't like owing music industry people money. I told him I'd keep a running tab of the cost and that I'd be careful with expenses. He assured me I should take it easy and not worry so much. "It's a write-off," he laughed.

Um... ok. I decided I'd keep track of everything just the same.

I actually had to quit my job because they wouldn't let me take a leave of absence. That was scary. But... fuck it. It had to be done. I hated that fucking job anyway.

So, off we went.

It was fuckin' surreal. They blew so much sunshine up my ass, I swore there were flowers growing in my damn colon. I took it all with a big-ass grain of salt and listened for real numbers. There were precious few of those... I don't know what it is, but these fucking guys never talk hard-and-fast facts. They like to suck down sushi and talk about how we should, "make a video like Linkin Park" with some "tattooed women."

Ugh.

So... ultimately, a Very Large Label offered us something. It took me almost a month and a half... It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. We weren't getting screwed, but we weren't gonna buy Navigators with spinning rims, either.

So... YAY for us, right?

Ha... that'd be too easy.

I phoned home to tell the boys that VLL had something for us... the should have been elated... But, nope... there were doings afoot.

Unbeknownst to me, shit was going down.

See, a band travels... lives... exists to play.we hadn't really done that since... ummm... late April? And, in June... well... while everyone was psyched about the business progress we had made,everyone was down about not playing.

And what do musicians do when they don't play or write?

They get in trouble, that's what.

#6, a man we have all grown to love, started fucking with some stuff he should have left alone. You know the stuff I mean. It comes in bottles or cans, and they sell it in bars. Yeah. And he also started fucking with some stuff that they often sell on corners near bars... stuff that comes in little plastic packets.. it makes you stay awake and act like an idiot? Yeah, that stuff.

Droop... well, he fought with his now ex-fiance, who summarily banished him to the spare bedroom.

Fu... well... he asked for money... then he asked for more money. And then he bitched about not having any money. He was offered a better position at work that would give him more money... and he balked, because the deal was coming...

By the time I was ready to come home, #6 had been put into two different programs for substance issues, Droop was near homicidal and suicidal over his woman issues and Fu... well, he was pretty much ready to quit and move up the ladder at work, because that's where he saw his real future.

As soon as I got back, I saw what kind of shape we were in and immdeiately told Mr. Time that we needed our space so we could get our live show back in order after not playing for a while.

I went to see #6, whose wife was NOT happy about the idea of her recovering hubby heading back into bars and among people who might offer him that substance again. I assured her that he'd be safe... and told him to get clean so we could play. He seemed excited about the music and told me to never, EVER leave him alone again.

Droop... well... he was just sad. We hung out, and he poured out his woes. It's bad, and he is a sad pup. All I could do was tell him that we still have the music. That seemed to make him feel better, and I told him we would be playing again really soon.

Fu... well.... Fu was a different story. He was edgy, angry and basically belligerent. He's the poorest guy of us all.... and he has the most baggage. Plus, he's a vocalist... and, while many of the Lead Singer Disease issues don't affect him, he does have a bit of an ego. And... this time, my wiles had very little sway over his actions. Basically, he's done. I can't hold it against him. We had a good run with him, and we made a lot of great memories driving that old van around.

So...
Where are we, then?

Well... VLL still has a deal for us... well, for me, anyway... and, being that #6 sounds a lot like Fu vocally, we're gonna do a little revamp and present ourselves as a total package.

It's gonna take a minute, but I think we'll be ok.

Pay attention... it's gonna get good soon.
--Sun Tzu

#1646263 - 07/19/05 01:12 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Cozmicslop Offline

Loc: Chicago
Quote:

Pay attention... it's gonna get good soon.
With all the work you've put into it?

That's exactly the attitude that's gonna make it so.

Good luck.
&
Good going.

#1646264 - 07/19/05 02:32 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Connie Z Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Erik, you are absolutely unbelievable. I am so totally inspired by you. \:\)

I am also sorry that your damn bandmates went so berzerk in your absence!!!

I have such a tiny bit of musical experience now, but I have learned that the only person I can rely on is me. And if there are others who behave in a reliable way, I REALLY appreciate them! Cause a lot of folks who play music... are very flaky!

They are so lucky to have you at the helm. And you have been so smart and such a total pro with all of this. (And also a true friend to your mates.)

I am not surprized at all that you've gotten an offer, and I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU ON THE TONIGHT SHOW. Cause I know it's coming soon!

Rock on dude!

... Connie

P.S. I was speaking about you just tonight matter of fact. After our band rehearsal, a couple of us sat around for about 4 hours yakking about our band and it's future. I was telling them that all of the things that I am doing in this band, as far as direction, come from what I've read and chatted about in these forums, and that I have learned so much from you in particular.

P.P.S. What happened to Avy? Is she still on board?

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

#1646265 - 07/19/05 09:50 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Steve Force Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metro-Detroit, Michigan
Erik,

Thanks for your update!

Keep your business sense first and foremost and you will do just fine.

Regards.

My musical gear Blog

#1646266 - 07/19/05 10:16 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Botch. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ogden, Utard
Erik, you do things for your music that I'd never have the backbone to do, I admire that. Good luck, and thanks for keeping us posted!

#1646267 - 07/19/05 10:49 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Gator Wing Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Grantville, PA, UNITED STATES
Good luck!

#1646268 - 07/19/05 12:26 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
BluesWithoutBlame Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oslo. Norway
Just for the record, you have a number of folks (probably ALL of us) rooting for you here, and impressed with the dedication.

Hell, I'm a fan and I haven't ever even heard any of your music! But like others here, have gotten inspired as well as learned much and gotten a lot of good ideas from you.

Hey, If your back gets up against a wall, money-wise...things take too long or whatever, as a backup plan you ought to go to the local junior college in your area and pitch a new course for bands! Or start your own school!

I'm only half kidding, I bet there aren't that many folk in any given city (maybe NY and LA excepted) that have the knowledge, the focus, and the tricks of the trade you have managed to aquire.

You probably would make a helluva band manager as well.

But let's hope it never gets to that. Fingers crossed for you, and it is a real shame that just as things get going it has to hit a sharp turn.

It is in no way equivalent, but when I was young I was in the best band I ever have been in. Really...guys with all different favorite music types (Rythm guit-Neil Young, solo-other guitar ME blues, allman bros., bassist-Foghat, drummer...god knows...you get the idea) and yet we played and had "something" extra. Practiced minimum twice a week for two years, practiced all the time at home...after all that went out and got job after job, mostly in concerts where folk listened, and even had fans follow us...

about six months it lasted I think. Everyone got big heads, turned into primadonnas, fights, etc.

I begin to wonder if there is some weird gene in a good portion of talented musicians that enjoys the game for what is GOING to come, and maybe are deathly afraid of it actually happening...like it is just too much.

Fame also is not for everyone. Maybe some of them sense it inside that they are really only able to handle the bar scene, and all.

If it is the case, it's good to be nice (as you were) to them and not blame them for human frailties.

But you got a job ahead of you, so no use dwelling on it, good luck from the bottom of my heart!

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
but not in practice."

#1646269 - 07/19/05 02:27 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dude...I was expecting it to end like a "Behind the Music"...only the band ALMOST gets famous, but they have all of the bad shit with none of the good shit. But...it sounds like the good shit may still come.

What the hell, go for it. You only get one shot, bro! What's the worst that could happen? You get taken to the cleaners, and end up right where you were six months ago. (shrug). At least this way you'll have some kick ass stories to tell... \:D

#1646270 - 07/19/05 09:51 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
Good luck with it all, mang. You know that the posse over at the LDL has your back.

Peace.
--Dub $$

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#1646271 - 07/20/05 07:02 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Dude, it is so cool that you stuck by your bandmates. A lot of guys would have called the company's A&R reps and replaced them like busted plumbing. You are gonna have to ride some serious herd on #6, but focusing your attention on him might keep you from falling prey to the same or worse out there on that never-ending binge called the road. It's hard enough to keep your wits about you when you are a struggling little band from nowhere. But I hear tell the real sickos come out to play with your head when you have some money in your pocket and the buzz of impending fame surrounding you. Keep people around you who will watch your back when you can't. I ain't never been where you are going, but I hear you will wish you had them if you don't.
It's fortunate that you have someone in the band that sounds like Fu. But if it gets to be too much, there is always that record company A&R guy...
Praying for you guys, Erik. Keep on 'a'keepin' on...

#1646272 - 07/20/05 08:49 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Base Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Surrey, UK
Fu Sutcliffe...?

That is too bad, dude, but no one ever said it would be easy! The payoff will be all the sweeter tho...!

Don't make us wait until you've sold multi-platinum albums, cut your hair, sold out and made a feature-length documentary about the making of your weak-assed comeback album to let us know what happens next tho, drop into the guitar forum sometime and let us left behind after the exodus know how it goes...!

I've been surfing old pages in the SSS lately (not much to do at work) and read a lot of your early reports from before I joined, will be a shame if I can't keep up...

Good luck with the next phase

#1646273 - 07/20/05 10:28 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
GTRBass Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca
"I don't like owing music industry people money."

Smart man. Usually if some industry dork gives you 25 cents, you'll owe him $25K on the back end.

#1646274 - 07/20/05 03:41 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Jon Doe Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seattle
This reminds me that I need to buy the Spinal Tap DVD.

\:D \:D

#1646275 - 07/20/05 11:52 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Erik, man-

You, all of you in CMDN, and especially now #6, you're in my thoughts and hopes and prayers and best-wishes, all of that... Damn!!

Hang in there, man!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1646276 - 07/21/05 12:37 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
phaeton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Die Land Of Cheese Und Bier
Erik...

Rawk on man... yer a helluva guy and you've earned any success you pull out of this. I know it, you know it.

Go forth!

#1646277 - 07/21/05 06:37 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Lee Flier Offline
10k Club

Loc: Atlanta,GA,UNITED STATES
Holy cow Erik. You guys are the world's longest running Behind the Music episode. \:D

I guess all I can say is... hang in there. LOTS of bands fall apart right at the brink of success. It's easy to blame the bands, but sometimes "success" is more to blame. \:\) Just make sure you know what you're getting into, and hang in there.

Hope you will join us at the new forum too! Prolly a lot of kids there will be way into you guys and your story. As always, you rock.

Radio KIRA
http://www.radiokira.com

NEW CD out April 7th! >> Get it here , or here ! <<

#1646278 - 07/21/05 11:27 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Thanks so much for the update Erik!

I'm wishing you and the band all the success in the world!

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#1646279 - 07/22/05 12:14 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
PBBPaul Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wonderful World of Cheese - Wi...
I'll throw in too. Very cool news Erik! Tell those guys to get their shit together. It's an opportunity very few peeps will ever get and to piss it away is a total waste. I'm excited to read more. You more than anybody have earned a good ride. Keep at it and don't forget to check in once in a while.

#1646280 - 07/22/05 07:00 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
Hey gang....
Just popping in for a sec to update the update. Damn, that looks weird in print.
Thank you all for the encouragement and support. It means a lot to me, and I have told the boys that you're all rooting for us. They are super-psyched to work, and they love that you are behind us.

Ch-Ch-Ch-changessssssss....

Things are a little weird in our camp. Rehearsals are strange without Fu--while #6 is handling the more melodic vocals fairly well, the screamy stuff is all me... and that's just weird. We definitely sound edgier now... and more violent somehow. I think the visual will be pretty striking, too... Two big, hairy guys in black, playing black guitars, on the front of the stage, playing hard-assed music and basically screaming at you while a big bald black dude pounds the living fuck out of a 24" black Ludwig set.

I think we might still be pretty marketable.... even without the crazy singer running around. It's just... different.

We still have some adjusting to do, but we're ok.

As part of his recovery, #6's wife was kind enough to buy him yet another new bass... this one is a gem. '77 black P-bass. It's gorgeous.

I've been working on some new logo stuff for the band. Since we're doing a revamp, I thought stripping things down might be good. We're still technically called Cottonmouth D.N., but I think we're finally moving towards marketing the band as CMDN. Ah, it's a process.

Next, we have to do new pics and stuff. VLL wants to see how we look together. Yikes. They aren't totally worried about losing Fu... because... apparently... they were into... ME! How's that for a kick in the tits. See, they're sticking with the primary songwriters, which are actually Droop and me... and we're attached at the hip, and since I'm the guy with the guitar and the hooks, the deal is mostly about me. That kinda freaks me out a little.

But, it looks like they still like me.
We have a lot of work to do.

It's kind of exciting...
--Sun Tzu

#1646281 - 07/22/05 09:40 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
That all sounds very cool. If you feel the ned to have a lead singer running around the stage as you said, my guess is you can find a hundred dozen of them that would be willing to kiss anything you put in front of them several times for the chance. And if you don't feel the need, well, you're right where you ought to be. Please keep the updates updated. Think of it as a way to record the history of your first days in the big time music biz. Might be valuable later, when you write your book...

#1646282 - 07/23/05 08:51 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
If #6 decides he wants to do the vocal thing fulltime, #9 is waiting in the wings when #7 and #8 mysteriously disappear... :p

Just sayin'... \:D

When's your next gig in Jersey?

Peace.
--Doctor Luv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#1646283 - 07/24/05 10:05 AM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Be sure to meet us on the other side now, Erik!

'Till then- you and yours have the absolute best that you can stand, and-

- > BLICKETTA-BLICKETTA-BLICKETTA <

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1646284 - 07/24/05 10:45 PM Re: I heard ya missed me... I'm updating... Finally.
Blue Strat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: York County, SC
Very cool.

Good luck and rock on Erik.

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html